Capital gains tax on sale of foreign property

N

nina pulce

I would be grateful for any feedback on the following: I and my two adult children are UK residents and own a property in Italy we want to sell. We did not buy this property but inherited it from my father. We have received an offer equivalent to about £365,000.
We have agreed that the funds will go to me as I have no savings, no property in the UK (I rent a small flat) or income except for pension credit and attendance allowance. The property in Italy was not rented out and therefore generated no income. I was not able to live there myself as I depend on one of my children in the UK for care. My children are self-employed UK tax payers, currently not earning because of COVID, in receipt of SEISS grants. One has a low income and no property (and is also my live-in carer),the other earns more and owns a property, but as I said the plan was for the proceeds of this sale to go to me towards buying a property in the UK. Will I need to pay Capital Gains tax and if so roughly how much?

Many thanks

B

bracknelson

If you are resident in the UK and when you dispose of the overseas property then you pay capital gain tax. There are special rules if you are a resident in the UK but your permanent house is abroad. You may also have to pay the tax in the country you made the profit.

N

nina pulce

Thanks for your reply. CGT is not due in Italy as it has been owned for over 5 years and was inherited. How can I calculate how much CGT would be due in the UK where I am resident?