Cape Verde

L

Lysos

Whatever happened ?. Four or five years ago this was being heavily promoted for holidays and property 'investment', with agents falling over themselves to promise not just 5 star resorts, but 6 star resorts & hotels, luxury restaurants, world class golf courses etc. One Irish developer was supposedly buying two 747s to carry the thousands of Irish tourists expected to flock there.

Nobody bothered to question how they were going to attract the calibre of staff needed to make these claims reality, to a third world group of islands off the coast of Africa.

Ernie Els was supposedly heading up a €2 billion golf development. I read today that even the best course in Cape Verde has mud brown 'greens'. Hardly world class. As for flights, Thomson seem to fly several times a month (circa £500 return) from Gatwick to Boa Vista, but I couldn't find any direct flights from Dublin.

Hardly the booming market promised. I wonder how the promised guaranteed rentals and buybacks - as advertised elsewhere on here - panned out ?.

C

chandra

Lysos said:
Whatever happened ?. Four or five years ago this was being heavily promoted for holidays and property 'investment', with agents falling over themselves to promise not just 5 star resorts, but 6 star resorts & hotels, luxury restaurants, world class golf courses etc. One Irish developer was supposedly buying two 747s to carry the thousands of Irish tourists expected to flock there.

Nobody bothered to question how they were going to attract the calibre of staff needed to make these claims reality, to a third world group of islands off the coast of Africa.

Ernie Els was supposedly heading up a €2 billion golf development. I read today that even the best course in Cape Verde has mud brown 'greens'. Hardly world class. As for flights, Thomson seem to fly several times a month (circa £500 return) from Gatwick to Boa Vista, but I couldn't find any direct flights from Dublin.

Hardly the booming market promised. I wonder how the promised guaranteed rentals and buybacks - as advertised elsewhere on here - panned out ?.
Hi Lysos,

So you still around? Could you kindly answer my pm which I sent to you?

Thanks.

C

chandra

Lysos said:

Hi Lysos,

You are right. It was promoted heavily around 2005. Many projects were started around that time. I won't name any here. Many stories of developer running away with investors money. Some projects still remain half finished. Some never broke the ground. 2012 has seen some projects completed though. Also construction on new projects has begun. Sal and Boa Vista appears to be the hub of all construction activities. Foreign investment is flowing again. Especially China. They even rebuilt the presidential palace.

Projects such as Tortuga Beach are a success story. Sane developer has sold out Dunas beach completely and now selling Llana beach resort. Construction is well on schedule. Massive project like Villa Verde is finally finished and operational.
Lleme Bedge finished too. Im not mentioning those unfinished ones to stay away from the controversy.

Hilton on sal island had signed the contract in Jan 2008 and was supposed to be finished in 2010/11. Construction not even started yet but this month came the news that all the financial backing in place and work to start soon. Slowly but steadily Sal is starting to take shape. Tourists number have gone up year to year and so is the GDP of the country.

In my opinion Cape Verde has certainly got huge potential and moving in right direction. But definitely not in a short term.

Hope what I wrote here has given you some idea.

P

plic

Cape verde will Needs time but eventually it will be ok as it is nice alternative for European destinations

L

Lysos

Be realistic - look at the flights available and their cost. Cape Verde is not working as a holiday destination, even less as an investment. It is what it always was before T.V. companies distorted the reality - a third world African country, with infrastructure to match.

P

plic

I look it from belgium market they flight are full always and yes it needs more time maybe 5 maybe 10 years but this is with all new markets