Can anybody give me advice ?

H

hotspot

Hi, to all thank you for allowing me to use this forum
Here is my question
my partner bought a council property just over a year ago when she bought it she bought it in her married name now she wants to go back to her maiden name as the property has not been owned for 5 years will she have to pay back any discount as it will be a name change 9n the property she has rang her local council and they said to contact a solicitor thank

N

nmb

You are doing the right thing taking professional advice but one question, does your partner need to change the name on the property immediately? Is it possible she can maintain the property in her married name until the 5 year period is up?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
I can't see a problem if she informs the relevant people that she has changed her name. She is still the same person.

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point @Veronica - surely it is all about the underlying owner as opposed to their name?
Yes changing her name shouldn't cause any problems with ownership at all as far as I'm aware... she will need a solicitor to update the title deeds at land registry to reflect the name change though... it should just be a simple form though so shouldn't cost her too much in legal fees... to save money ask the CAB and she might even be able to fill out the forms herself... I'm not 100% sure but either they or a solicitor can give you a definitive answer...

N

nmb

So In theory this seems extremely straightforward as the underlying ownership of property will not change. However, it also shows that you do need to take legal advice where you are unsure about a particular situation.