Can a refund be sought in Egypt from a developer?

P

pro-berry

Hi All,

I am sorry if anyone has previously covered this. A friend of mine had entered an agreement with Damac on the Hyde Park Centre Ville Development for 2 units. He is seeking a refund and needs advise on how to go about it:
1) After paying the 20% for each unit he received a Sales and Purchase Agreement, which he duly signed. When he went to their London office to get them to ensure he had signed in all the right places, their office in London offered to courier the contracts on his behalf to their offices in Egypt and provided him with a copy. The Egypt office claim they have not received these contracts ever.
2) Damac sent him a declaration to sign to state he has lost the contracts, and they will replace it with new ones, this he doesnt want to do as he is affraid they may have amended the terms of the contract and also he hasn't lost them. Damac have.
3) He has not made any payments since, as he doesnt know where he stands with them.
4) They have also sent him a copy of the initial reservation form recently and asked him complete it as he has omitted a signature on one of the pages. This he hasn't signed in dispute of matters outstanding.

Can a refund of the monies paid to the developer be sought under the circumstances that I have defined above? He is totally fed up with the developer. He has a copy he made for himself of the contracts that he had signed and returned which Damac have now lost, but to date he has not received the duly signed and executed contracts from Damac to complete the contracts process. Every time he chases them for this they send him a declaration to sign to state he has lost them, when in fact he hasn't they have. He is going round in circles with them and feels that he wants out of the deal. Any suggestions on how a refund can be obtained?

He is now fed up as this has gone on for over 2 years.

Is there a standard in Egyptian Law that enables him to seek a refund from the Developer? Damac have started the Villa devlopment in Hyde Park, but have yet to start Apartments. My friend was advised completion would be mid 2012, when he purchased.

Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Last edited: