ad

Can a freeholder increase ground rents?

S

skillboy

I own a freehold building containing 5 flats. Each flat was sold years ago with a 999 year lease. The lease states that the annual ground rent payable (to the freeholder) per flat is £25 per year. This figure has stayed the same for over 40 years. The lease says nothing about if this ground rent can be increased.

£25 per year per flat seems very low and I would like to increase it gradually over time. Am I able to do this given that the lease says nothing about increasing the ground rent? On the other hand the lease doesn't say anything about NOT being able to increase it either.

Thoughts?

J

Jax63

I own a freehold building containing 5 flats. Each flat was sold years ago with a 999 year lease. The lease states that the annual ground rent payable (to the freeholder) per flat is £25 per year. This figure has stayed the same for over 40 years. The lease says nothing about if this ground rent can be increased.

£25 per year per flat seems very low and I would like to increase it gradually over time. Am I able to do this given that the lease says nothing about increasing the ground rent? On the other hand the lease doesn't say anything about NOT being able to increase it either.

Thoughts?
Just seen your post as new to forum. Disappointing that you didn’t get any replies as this seems a good question.

A

Alba_bernia

I'm posting to get a notification for when this gets answered, interesting question!