can a agricultural land in india be transferred to a US citizen son?

Discussion in 'India property' started by coolblue1, Jun 17, 2015.

  1. coolblue1

    coolblue1 New Member

    I am US citizen and has ancestral agricultural land in Punjab, India. Last year while in India I transferred(registry) that land in the name of my son who is also a US citizen? Is there any problem as per indian law? Is it illegal? What is the way out??
  2. jyoti_singh

    jyoti_singh New Member

    NRIs are not allowed to buy agricultural property. There is no bar on inheritance.
  3. coolblue1

    coolblue1 New Member

    Thanks for your prompt response.
    By inheretence it means??
    But i transferred papers in his name last year at tehsildar office. So is it wrong? what can i do now.What will happen is let this as it is?
  4. jyoti_singh

    jyoti_singh New Member

    You can transfer the land to your son, it won't be illegal.
    I suggest you consult a lawyer in India as they will be able to give you the best advice in this case and will also tell you all the procedures required for the transfer.
  5. easyloans

    easyloans New Member

    Please clarify the relation of the person you are transferring the land to.

Share This Page