buying land in Bulgaria

L

ladybird2011

The 5 year moratorium for implementing the law ran out in January 2012 (was brought in back in 2007 under EU directive) and so in theory should be ratified. There is an exception for forestry land that won't come in until 2014.

K

KayJay

It's not ratified until the Bulgarian Parliament says that it is by passing the necessary legislation, which they have yet to do. Until that time, it is, in my view, both risky and foolish to "buy" land in your own name even if you can find a notary prepared to go along with it.

Suing legal professionals in any country is always long-winded and often pointless; in Bulgaria it's crazy to put yourself in a position where you might have to. Most people buying property here do so because they can't afford to elsewhere - laying themselves open to litigation which could cost a fortune and drag on for years probably isn't too high on their list of smart moves.... ;)

L

ladybird2011

Although technically Bulgaria now in breach of EU law if it does not ratify ASAP - if anyone could be bothered to argue a case that far!

But quite agree - until definite in law would never consider buying land personally. Should help the flagging market if and when they do though as takes an obstacle out of the buying process for houses/land.

D

Dries

yes, i'm rather slow, but the plan is still there to purchase a house with some land.

perhaps I'd better wait, perhaps i'd pay less taxes if i could do it without starting up a company

thanks for all the valuable information btw !

L

ladybird2011

You'd not pay less taxes as such but would not have to submit accounts each year (well twice a year) and some fees are less e.g electric can be less depending on area and company. But then I suspect as soon as this restriction is lifted the market will revive somewhat so more likely to get a house and land at a good price now.

Any ideas where in BG you want to be? Is it merely an investment or for a holiday home etc?

D

Dries

I was thinking about buying a house with some land that i'd be able to live for several months and to cultivate my own vedgetables there. I was looking at the houses near Plovdiv since there is very fertile ground there, but the prices are also a lot higher there, so i'll look for somewhere else in Bulgaria, perhaps more to the north, closer to romania, i don't know, i'll have to do some more investigations.

it's also an investment, i hope that the property will rise in value in the future.

I know, it's kind of a special plan I have, i think i really have to go to bulgaria first to get to know the country better.

greetings,

dries

L

ladybird2011

You do need to visit first really. We are not that far from Plovdiv, about an hour further north east near Stara Zagora. Land is very fertile around there. I have a villa about 15km south of Stara Zagora and the garden there is unbelievable. My parents came over and were amazed there was not a single stone in the garden! And the veggies you can grow are amazing.

B

bulgarian attorney

Yes, the land will for sure rise in value in the future. But for sure I suggest you to visit the country first. There are so many lovely places so you will be confused what to choose (except the prize). :) About the vegetables - they are perfect and tasty.

L

ladybird2011

Have to agree the tomatoes in Bulgaria grown by our neighbours are the best we have never tasted!

B

bulgarian attorney

Have to agree the tomatoes in Bulgaria grown by our neighbours are the best we have never tasted!
My hobby is a gardening. I live in city of Pazardzhik - very near to Plovdiv.
We live with my family in a family house with approximately 7 acres of land. Traveling to my office for aprox 5-10 minutes. In the summer I produce all the vegetables and pick them directly from plant roots only for the meal we plan to cook. :) It's amazing, what else could I want.
Last year I've produced a tomato weighing one kilogram.