Buying in North Cyprus

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drew

I holiday there every year and I can assure you people have heard and are buying/ building in DROVES. It's a great country, the lifestyle is more relaxed than mainland Turkey (yes, it is possible!) and people are buying for exactly the same reasons as Turkey (entry for Turkey to the EU will likely quadruple house prices).

Just wondering... no-one else looking at North Cyprus?!
Thanks
Drew

F

fabian

I agree with you, but now that the politics are changing there are stories of Greeks coming back to claim old property and some people have been caught.
Thanks
Fabian

C

charis

It is illegal to buy in North Cyprus

It is illegal to buy property or land that’s rightfully owned by Greek Cypriots. There are many Greek Cypriots living in the south who are refugees from the north and who believe that even visiting the north while it’s still under Turkish control is morally wrong.

WARNING
If you decide to buy property in northern Cyprus, you must ensure that you will have legal ownership of the land and property that’s being sold to you, even if Cyprus is reunited. most probably you will not.

C

charis

Everyone is responsible for his actions. Prices at the North part are very low. Everybody knows that. But let me give you an example. If i have a plot over there and because of the situation I live in the south part then does not give the right to anyone to sell my property.

If i visit my village and i see that apartments are build over there because the so called "north government" gave permission then i will sue to the european court. -let me say that this formation of governemnt is illegal and EU does not regonize it, only Turkey- Greek Cypriots started filing law sues more and more lately. I personaly know someone that sue an english family beacuse they have bought a villa that was build on his land. He told me that he met this english people, they were very nice, but what he could do? They bought a house in his property. The european court has ordered them to leave the house. Be prepared to see more and more of this in the next near future. More than 80% of the land there belong to greek cypriots tha have moved in the south due to the invasion.

What I'm saying to all of you guys is to be very carefull. Even if is cheap and on normal circumstances would be a great opportunity, it is very dangerous and you may lose all of the money you have invested. But again every one is responsible for his own actions.

D

deedee1

North cyprus!!

:)Hi all,

Charis- I appreciate your views and do understand what you are saying!

But the facts remain that you need to know the difference in the title deeds in order to make a more calculated, legal and moral decision!

It is in fact 17% of the island only that is in despute and this is mainly around nicosia!

Yes there are risks here hence why the properties and land is so cheap but like I said do so research about the past so you understand the situation on the island. Research the different types of title deeds-so you know which are safe, Medium risk, high risk and those that you just shouldnt touch!!!!! :eek:

North cyprus is the most beautiful. unspoilt part of the island, with the best and most historical sites to visit- Kyrenia harbour is stunning!!

See ya D :)

C

charis

The northern area of the Republic of Cyprus, under military occupation by Turkey since 1974, has been experiencing an unprecedented construction “property sale” boom. The vast majority of the properties affected by this boom are owned by Greek Cypriots who were forcibly expelled from their homes due to the Turkish invasion. These displaced people are to this day prevented by the Turkish Armed Forces from returning and repossessing their homes and properties. A recent development is that the occupied area has become a haven for corrupt and unscrupulous businessmen out to make a quick profit from the illegal “sale” of Greek Cypriot property.

According to the 1964 Land and Registry record, approximately 82% of the privately owned land in the territory now under Turkish occupation was owned by persons belonging to the Greek Cypriot community. While persons belonging to the Turkish Cypriot community owned approximately 16.7%. That position was still obtained in 1974.

In August 2004 Ahmet Uzun, the so-called “finance minister” of Turkey’s puppet regime in the occupied area, stated that the UN Plan provided an incentive to build on Greek Cypriot property, because persons investing in such property could have had priority over the legitimate Greek Cypriot refugee title-holder in its ownership. Such provisions were indeed an incentive, and facilitated the rush to build on usurped properties and to “sell” them mainly to British and other European citizens seeking a home in the sunny Mediterranean.

On 23 August 2004, Turkey’s Deputy prime Minister and Minister responsible for Cypriot affairs, Abdullatif Sener, was reported by Milliyet as having stated that the amount of properties that foreigners had “bought” in the occupied areas of Cyprus had increased tenfold over the last two years!

Nonetheless, anyone who has “bought” or is seeking to “buy” Greek Cypriot owned property in the occupied part of the Republic does so illegally, as first discovered by a British couple in October 2004. Anyone contributing to the ongoing plunder of such properties becomes a potential target for criminal and civil law suits in the courts of the Republic of Cyprus. The resulting arrest warrants and decisions could then by judicially enforced abroad.

The rights to restitution of the properties and home of Greek Cypriot displaced persons have been recognised by the European Court of Human Rights. The Court found Turkey guilty of depriving Greek Cypriot refugees of the use of their properties. The Government of Turkey is obliged to compensate the refugees for the time period of the deprivation of use and to allow them to return home. Ankara has not done this, thus violating the fundamental human rights principles with which an EU Candidate Country must comply in order to start accession negotiations.

…quick points
• Four fifths of the privately owned land in the territory now under military occupation by Turkey is owned by displaced Greek Cypriots. The government of the Republic of Cyprus itself owns one quarter of the total area under occupation.

• The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has upheld the rights of the displaced Greek Cypriot owners to their properties, and on a number of individual applications, the Court ordered Turkey to restore those rights and to pay compensation for the period of deprivation (Loizidou v Turkey, Xenides – Arestis v Turkey). Several thousand applications by Greek Cypriot displaced owners are currently pending before the European Court of Human Rights.

• Pursuant to Security Council Resolutions 541 (1983) and 550 (1984),the illegal secessionist entity in the occupied areas cannot issue valid title deeds. “Certificates” so issued, are not recognized by the Republic of Cyprus nor by any other state, other than Turkey.

• Several governments, including U.K., U.S.A., Russia, France and Germany have issued warnings on the purchase of property in the occupied areas of Cyprus.

• Therefore, buying property in the occupied area of Cyprus could infringe upon the property rights of others involved. A violation of criminal and civil law could entangle the buyer in legal proceedings, financial damage, personal liability and the risk of losing money invested, as well as assets at home. Why then undertake such unnecessary risks?

J

Journo

Northern Cyprus is beautiful and the Turkish Cypriots wonderful people. They just wish the mainland Turks would leave the island, give them back their jobs and land and stop interfering! There's no problem with truly Turkish Cypriot owned land/property; but the problem is the TRNC has arbitrarily issued 'new' title deeds for property that is actually owned (with all the genuine relevant and internationally-recognised paperwork) by Greek Cypriots. So some of the 'title deeds' are in fact false. You need a very good lawyer/investigator to be sure you haven't been 'conned' - and therefore in danger of actually losing your land/property down the line. If everything is 'genuine' then you'rre lucky. But there are plenty of 'buyers' who have discovered too late that they've been taken to the cleaners. You need to do your homework very thoroughly before you take this kind of risk.

A

awahee123

Banned
Anybody know the implications of buying a property in northern Cyprus,where the Land has been built on without permission from the original owners?.

U

Ulpian

Ulpian

I keep seeing posts about the unspoilt nature of the north. Not true; the north has been wrecked in the past three years by a rash of chavfriendly complexes and 'developments' targeted at the be-tattooed bare chested spivs that now infest the place. If the TRNC government really wishes for a prosperous future it should be targeting the international rich. Too-small plots, augmented by low-rent building standards, are resulting in a sort of Romford outremer. The Spanish islands, and the cleverer parts of north Africa are targeting the better educated and better off population of Europe; to their advantage. A chavfest of beer and fish and chips should not be the future of one of the loveliest remaining parts of the Med. Stop the tasteless developers, and their vulgar clients, and go upmarket; and then see what will happen to the prosperity of the island. Oil prices are rising inexorably; so any Mediterranean government should be aware that within five years only the rich will be able to afford to travel; think on...

U

Ulpian

Buy in France or Iberia, they are accessible by train. Leave the poor north of Cyprus alone!
As I said, in a very few years no-one will be able to afford to travel there so any 'investment' property will be a deserted wreck.

U

Ulpian

You don't mean investing then, you mean 'living'. Its not the same. Property shouldn't be bought for profit, certainly not in the present climate, but if you genuinely intend to live in a place it doesn't matter if the price drops, because you won't be selling anyway. So go and have a look at north Cyprus and see what you think. It depends if you want the company of educated and reasonably cultivated people, or not. There are some interesting types in the north, but the social dynamic has, as I said before, changed lot in the past few years and the culture of many ex-pats seems based on the abundance of cheap alcohol and chips and burgers. There is no longer even a proper bookshop, which speaks a lot I reckon.

Many of the old stagers have left the island recently and gone to either France or Turkey. I know of one or two who have left for Morocco, and one who is now living in Oman, where property can also be bought, although not cheaply. In Oman however, there is a large group of seriously interesting multinational people, and the Omanis themselves are very interesting too. But the place is expensive and very hot (too hot) in the summer.
A friend of mine lives in both north Cyprus and the south of France, and the winter climate is not too different; perhaps a little shorter winter in Cyprus, but nothing to worry about.

It all depends what you want. If you can get away occasionally for a bit of cultural re-charge then Cyprus is great, as a stand alone it might pall.

A

awahee123

Banned
Thanks for that ulpian I think I will go and have a look,I had no idea what it was like I will look out for the chippies lol.

J

Journo

Buying in the TRNC is not so straightforward

Buying in the TRNC is not as straightforward as Kismet - who obviously has a political axe to grind - would have thread readers believe.

Speaking from a purely neutral but factual position - EXTREME caution is urged.

T

ted_007

OK or OHI (NO!)?????????? Any Cypriots there? - tell them the truth!

I understand about what you think about buying houses in North Cyprus.Do not let them to threaten you.Do not think someone will come and get your home back from you.These are just for confusing people brain.Belive me there will be no agrement in North Cyprus and North Cyprus will grow up.The greek cypriot do not want any agrement.We sayed ok.We sayed come and signed the agremant,but they did not come,because they think they are going to be the owner of the All Cyprus.I live in Cyprus.I am 26 years old.You know whats the truth,My father says that he is 61 years old.We saw too much agremant on this island when he was 20-30-40-50 years old.But the greek cypriot dıd not want to give us anything.So ı hope ı can explain little bit things to you.my english is not enough to explain everything.BUt just belive me.Take care.Best regards

Hi, Ceyhun,

They didn't say OK, they said OHI (that means NO) :))))
Read newspapers :) And do not ask to believe you, when u say such nonsences

Ted

P

propertyborders

How have prices moved in the TRNC in the last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.