Buying in Barcelona?

M

mac-w

Hi Everyone,

We are considering buying an apartment in Barcelona, predominately as an investment property at the moment but also to use ourselves occasionally and ultimately to become our retirement home.

I have a number of questions that I can't find the answers to on the web, so I hope that someone here might be able to help.

1. Are there any special requirements / laws unique to buying in Catalunya as opposed to other parts of Spain?

2. Is it better to buy something that is 100% investment and worry about the retirement part later? Maybe selling at somepoint in the future and buying again specific for retirement?

3. One of the strategies we are thinking about is to rent to University student(s) for 10 months of year and then do short-term holiday rental for the summer uni hols, or give to family members during the holiday period- Is this a sensible strategy or is it better to stick to only short term holiday rentals throughout the whole year?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Mac.

S

surfranch

WHERE is the best place to buy property in barcelona?

L

LaurenX

I too am looking at Barcelona. As far as I have been informed the taxes are the same as the rest of the mainland... 4% IVA for new and 7% for second hand. although I do not know whether they are going to lower the second hand property tax as well. It would be good.

T

TOP-CASA

Banned
Hi Everyone,

We are considering buying an apartment in Barcelona, predominately as an investment property at the moment but also to use ourselves occasionally and ultimately to become our retirement home.

I have a number of questions that I can't find the answers to on the web, so I hope that someone here might be able to help.

1. Are there any special requirements / laws unique to buying in Catalunya as opposed to other parts of Spain?

2. Is it better to buy something that is 100% investment and worry about the retirement part later? Maybe selling at somepoint in the future and buying again specific for retirement?

3. One of the strategies we are thinking about is to rent to University student(s) for 10 months of year and then do short-term holiday rental for the summer uni hols, or give to family members during the holiday period- Is this a sensible strategy or is it better to stick to only short term holiday rentals throughout the whole year?

Mac.
It's better short term holiday rentals. You can earn more some times more than long term rentals. If you have any questions, please send me PM I'll answer.

D

Dave_Velasco

Hi Everyone,

Mac.

First, you can better check about the requirements at the local government of Barcelona by going to their government website. About the property investment, well you can either prepare for your retirement home now having the housing prices low these days - this is probably the best time you can start taking steps into getting your property investments. Or, as you said - worry about your retirement later buying your property in the latter future. And lastly, I guess your first option about having university students to rent on you would be best since many students are looking for such even mostly during summers.

S

shanmarsh22

Looking at pisos: While customer service has improved a bit in Barcelona (in the last 10 years),it is sometimes difficult to understand

O

Occo

yes there are some oddities, go to casamona, the estate agents and they could help you out.

M

mathy

thanx for the info !! even i was looking for buying in Barcelona