ad

Buying agents: Avoid like the plague

D

diocletian

I have just had a really bad experience with a buying agent. They are shifty as hell, and my advice is to avoid them like the plague. Please do not get taken in by their smooth talk, it is just sales patter. You can buy property very well yourself without them, and don't let them try to convince you that you need them.

Last edited:
D

diyhelp

Your experience is unfortunate to say the least but I think it is a little unfair to tar all buying agents with the same brush. Historically I found it better to incentivise them with additional commissions to reach my price within the agreed timescale. They don’t all have the same experience!

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
It really does depend which buyign agent you use - like an service industry some are better than others. There is enough info and reviews on the internet about all buying agents that you would be foolish not to do your own research as well.

R

realdeals

I agree - not all buying agents will let you down so maybe a little harsh. There is enough info on the internet to find a good one through the review system - obviously do you own homework as well though.

D

diocletian

The buying agent I used was recommended to me by a well known buying agent, sometimes interviewed on TV as a property expert, after I had contacted him. His 'recommendation' then emailed me without my invitation. I recently found out, through some detective work, that she was his neighbour (literally) in a tiny rural hamlet of 5 houses. Neither buying agent declared this conflict of interest to me, and if they had, I would have asked questions about their close personal relationship, and considered whether the recommendation was in my interests, or as a favour to her. I was very relieved to dispense with her, but I feel I was played by both of them, like a chicken for the plucking. Buying agents are shifty.

Last edited: