Building your house in Portugal

Helpfull ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F

f_ribeiro

Hello

I'm an architect. I have worked with foreign clients before and I can give you some answers regarding buying land and building in Portugal. If anyone has any specific questions just post it.

From our previous Clients we have made a list of common mistakes:

1.Buying the land before knowing how much one can build on it, if any at all. Check the city hall (Camara Municipal) and get the help of an architect. A lawyer in this phase would do much since it is something related with building.
2.Buying the land before doing a very simple survey to see if the land your buying is all there: The records in Portugal are very old, and generally what is on the paper is not what is on the land. It might be more and in might be less.
3.Expect that the architectural project be readily approved after submitting to City Hall. It takes an average of 9 month to get the approval. If building outside of major city centres, 6 months minimum.

These are just some of the things you should plan.

omostra06

omostra06

Be prepared to wait a long time to get the planning permission aproved by the Camara, its a long winded complicated system that will drive you to despair before the final stages of the planning permission arrives.:)

www gekkoportugal com

Last edited:
R

Roamer

Buying and building a house in Portugal

- Not sure why this topic is not more active?

Lets see if we can get some more info up here to be shared?

Recently came across;

emmashouseinportugal dot com

after reading her story I think I will put my ambitions on hold until I read another one of her blogs!

Keep on posting!

omostra06

omostra06

With the way things are at the moment perhaps restoring is abetter bet,

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Portuguese Man of War

Forget about building in Portugal, the risk is not worth taking. Complete nightmare !

K

kilo

Hello

Hi, I have a friend who owns a villa in Vale do Lobo. His architects have put plans together to build a villa on the plot that adjoins his villa. I am contemplating buying a share in the villa to do a joint venture to build the new villa. There is no planning consent currently, I have spoken to his architects who advised that they have spoken with Camara Municipal who confirm informally that they are happy with the plans.

The Architect has advised that once he issues the application the Camara have 20 working days to issue a decision. He also believes that the planning will go through smoothly within the 20 days as the site is inserted in a urbanização. After reading and researching the planning process in Portugal I am concerned that 20 days is unreaslistic and would appreciate any advise!

Regards,

Kilo

These are just some of the things you should plan
I'm an architect. I have worked with foreign clients before and I can give you some answers regarding buying land and building in Portugal. If anyone has any specific questions just post it.

1.Buying the land before knowing how much one can build on it, if any at all. Check the city hall (Camara Municipal) and get the help of an architect. A lawyer in this phase would do much since it is something related with building.
2.Buying the land before doing a very simple survey to see if the land your buying is all there: The records in Portugal are very old, and generally what is on the paper is not what is on the land. It might be more and in might be less.
3.Expect that the architectural project be readily approved after submitting to City Hall. It takes an average of 9 month to get the approval. If building outside of major city centres, 6 months minimum.

These are just some of the things you should plan

J

JMARTIN

Hello

These are just some of the things you should plan.
Hi - Great advice! I was hoping that you could assist me with an issue I have. I built a property on Madeira that completed 7-years ago.

To complete the planning process the Camera Municipal were required to have signed approval from adjoining land-owners, however one of the adjoining land-owners is still refusing to approve...

This has caused unknown stress to me over the years - Would you know what I can do...?

Many thanks JM

B

BrettParker

I have posted my question on another thread, and it never really got answered.
I am looking to build a wooden deck onto my house. I know already that permits are not needed when building with wood.

My question is, How close to the property line am I allowed to build? It is a rural house with farm land surrounding each side of the property. The side of the house that I want to build on is not very big, and wanted to get the maximum surface area for the deck.

thank you.