ad

BTL investment?

S

sachisd

hi-
I am very new to BTL property market and currently owning (mortgage) one residential house where I live with family

I have heavy mortgage outstanding + help to buy loan.

Mainly I am looking for advise on
1) Is it good option to invest in BTL ?
2) which locations ?
More north or south invest near home where live
3) student accommodation or residential flats
4) does Brexit will bring down market more down ?
5) exit and reinvest strategy after 5 years

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
This is my personal opinion:-

1. The UK population will continue to grow with or without Brexit so BTL is still attractive
2. Midlands/North for a mix of rental yields and capital growth, South of England for more capital growth biase
3. Depends where you invest - student area or business area
4. I dont think so
5. Why exit after 5 years? If you see steady income and capital growth why sell up?

S

sachisd

thank you for your response.

I have to clear up help to buy loan before 5 years to avoid paying extra % due to rising property prices (hopefully).

basic questions but what are the key factors to choose residential property
1) houses vs flats vs maisonette
2) primary / secondary schools
3) commuter belt
4) gardens
5) close to train station / town center properties or avoid it ?
6) anything else ?

Property investment is good but if made wrong choice, it will easily damage my pocket in deep.
I am in dilemma to take a risk or wait to see how market react to BREXIT for next 6 months

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Put this another way - how worse do you think the UK will/can get with Brexit? If you are that concerned then maybe property investment is not for you at the moment?

S

sachisd

yes fully agree with your approach
considering this will be my 1st investment in UK, just taking cautions to avoid jeopardizing my future plans :)
Thanks again !

D

diyhelp

Have you looked at hands off investment? I think the owner of this forum offers various property investment opportunities.

L

lookinginvest

It is alright others saying do this and do that but unless you are happy in your own mind with a particular path it probably wont work. Maybe you need to do some more research?

S

sachisd

Agree ... after all it’s individual decision to ensure things goes in right decision
market volatility, door knocking Brexit and impact of it are unknown factors and experienced professionals advise always helps

I will wait n watch for atleast 90 days from Brexit and see how property market react

Thanks all for your advice

L

lookinginvest

Those who are able to look long term are the ones who make the money - seeing Brexit for the long term opportunity many think it is could prove very lucrative in the medium to longer term.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Hi @sachisd

I think that Brexit could drag on for 12-36 months yet. I would still keep looking for investments and if the figures and long term potential fit, dont be scared to dip your toe into the water.

D

diyhelp

Speaking to someone who has been there and done it has been priceless for many many people.