Brazil not as violent as you thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dotty

Banned
What a load of hoot!

It may be dropping in Sao Paulo,but it's going full speed ahead in Natal.Crime is officially and statistically rising.......

D

davehoskings

What a load of hoot!

It may be dropping in Sao Paulo,but it's going full speed ahead in Natal.Crime is officially and statistically rising.......
Show us the numbers dotty .....

you also forgot it is dropping in Rio...

M

Mineiro

Show us the numbers dotty .....

you also forgot it is dropping in Rio...
Dave, why don't you take a look at Ralph's post on 12/09/08 in the Drinking and Driving thread. I think there's enough figures there, even for you.:)

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Dave, why don't you take a look at Ralph's post on 12/09/08 in the Drinking and Driving thread. I think there's enough figures there, even for you.:)
I have to agree with Dave on this one, after reading Ralph's posts nowhere do I see, unless I am missing something, that Natal's crime rate is on the rise as Dotty is claiming.

Rob.

J

Joachim

Crime rate Natal

Yeah, unfortuntely the last 2-3 years the crime rate in Natal has risen strongly. When I first came here in 2003 it was such a relaxed atmosphere and then the real estate hype came 2004-2006 and it started to get bad. The problem is that "favelas" here in Natal are near "rich" areas like in Rio, Salvador and Recife (most large Brazilians cities suffer from this),no urban planning, irresponsible politicians etc etc. Its to be expected I guess.

What I understand of Sao Paulo is that the favelas are at the outskirts of the city center which (in theory) makes it slightly less dangerous. I know that its the same for Buenos Aires and in the city center you will feel very safe but they also had police officers on almost every street corner!

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, unfortuntely the last 2-3 years the crime rate in Natal has risen strongly. When I first came here in 2003 it was such a relaxed atmosphere and then the real estate hype came 2004-2006 and it started to get bad. The problem is that "favelas" here in Natal are near "rich" areas like in Rio, Salvador and Recife (most large Brazilians cities suffer from this),no urban planning, irresponsible politicians etc etc. Its to be expected I guess.

What I understand of Sao Paulo is that the favelas are at the outskirts of the city center which (in theory) makes it slightly less dangerous. I know that its the same for Buenos Aires and in the city center you will feel very safe but they also had police officers on almost every street corner!
I first started going to Natal in 2003 as well, and I too have noticed the difference, but it is still very relaxed compared to other NE cities like Forteleza and Salvador. With that said I don't really hang around in Natal itself too much, I just stay a few nights and then head to Pipa or up North.

What I would like is Dotty to show some figures that are verifiable by anyone.

Regards,
Rob.

D

Dotty

Banned
Robh,

You really cannot judge,considering you do not even live here,read the local news and watch the local television and clearly do not know very much about Natal at all.........
If you have friends in Natal AND family you will be able to count on 2 hands people you personally know who have been assaulted in one way or another,so there is no point in trying to paint flowers around here because it just is not that anymore.Speak to Thomson and Fly Brazil and they will give you a run down of crimes just against tourists.:rolleyes:
I first started going to Natal in 2003 as well, and I too have noticed the difference, but it is still very relaxed compared to other NE cities like Forteleza and Salvador. With that said I don't really hang around in Natal itself too much, I just stay a few nights and then head to Pipa or up North.

What I would like is Dotty to show some figures that are verifiable by anyone.

Regards,
Rob.

D

Dotty

Banned
Favelas are not just around the outskirts of the city in Sao Paulo ,but also in the city,close to bus terminals and viaducts .Natal does not actually have favelas as such only poor housing in places ,which is slightly different .

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Robh,

You really cannot judge,considering you do not even live here,read the local news and watch the local television and clearly do not know very much about Natal at all.........
If you have friends in Natal AND family you will be able to count on 2 hands people you personally know who have been assaulted in one way or another,so there is no point in trying to paint flowers around here because it just is not that anymore.Speak to Thomson and Fly Brazil and they will give you a run down of crimes just against tourists.:rolleyes:
So basically you are saying you can't show any statistics even though you said you have seen them??

Why don't you read the post that you are replying to, I said I have noticed an increase in crime since I started coming to Natal, I also said that Natal is much more relaxed than Salvador and Forteleza, then I went on to say I don't spend much time in Natal.

I can count on two hands and both feet friends (not family) I know who have been assaulted in London, and I still couldn't tell you if in actual fact there is more crime in London than 5 years ago. That is why some statistics would help.

Anyway you have just made me realise why it is good to have you on my buffoon/ignore list.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Robh,

So basically you are saying you can't show any statistics even though you said you have seen them??

Why don't you read the post that you are replying to, I said I have noticed an increase in crime since I started coming to Natal, I also said that Natal is much more relaxed than Salvador and Forteleza, then I went on to say I don't spend much time in Natal.

I can count on two hands and both feet friends (not family) I know who have been assaulted in London, and I still couldn't tell you if in actual fact there is more crime in London than 5 years ago. That is why some statistics would help.

Anyway Dotty you have just made me realise why it is good to have you on my buffoon/ignore list.

D

Dotty

Banned
The best people to get in touch would be the state police for Rio Grande Norte and for road crimes and bus assaults Policia Rodovia.They will have ALL the statistics data you can possibly need for the 2007 yr 2008.

Hope this helps your research...;)

Anyway you have just made me realise why it is good to have you on my buffoon/ignore list.

J

JMBroad

What a load of hoot!

Yet again you make claims without anything to back it up - and on such an important topic as well.

You may be right, you may be wrong - I personally think you are wrong, according to reports from friends and from the local newspapers, it would appear that crime outside of the capital is definately rising (example of the bus route) but as for the capital itself, while it may be rising, I haven't seen anyone claiming what you are, that it's "full speed ahead" - you make it sound like we should bring body armour and side arms when coming to Natal on holiday.

Why don't YOU contact the police dept and get some official data and do some research yourself for a change? Would be a breath of fresh air. Then again quite possibly you don't speak Portuguese so may not be able to read the newspapers or talk to the police anyway - do you speak Portuguese, Dotty?

J

JMBroad

Oh and you also failed to mention that of the crimes that happen in Natal (or at least the ones reported about in the local Portuguese newspapers),the overwhelming majority are either drug-dealers or drug-gang related killing each other off - according to the newspapers at least.

D

Dotty

Banned
It is a very important topic,that's why people who do not live here should really say that crime is not rising. I can also read,write and speak portugese fluently and so get to read the papers daily ,watch and understand the news and have friends in command,so yes I know what I m talking about.As for copy and paste-no so you will just have to make do I'm afraid.:)
Yet again you make claims without anything to back it up - and on such an important topic as well.

You may be right, you may be wrong - I personally think you are wrong, according to reports from friends and from the local newspapers, it would appear that crime outside of the capital is definately rising (example of the bus route) but as for the capital itself, while it may be rising, I haven't seen anyone claiming what you are, that it's "full speed ahead" - you make it sound like we should bring body armour and side arms when coming to Natal on holiday.

Why don't YOU contact the police dept and get some official data and do some research yourself for a change? Would be a breath of fresh air. Then again quite possibly you don't speak Portuguese so may not be able to read the newspapers or talk to the police anyway - do you speak Portuguese, Dotty?

J

JMBroad

It is a very important topic,that's why people who do not live here should really say that crime is not rising. I can also read,write and speak portugese fluently and so get to read the papers daily ,watch and understand the news and have friends in command,so yes I know what I m talking about.As for copy and paste-no so you will just have to make do I'm afraid.:)
Aka yet again you refuse to provide anything to back up your own personal opinions. People used to think the world is flat - in fact they KNEW it to be so but once you actually research it, you find out it's not flat... If you never research anything you'll never move out of the cave and you'll continue to think that people have square heads...

Oh and by the way, no comment on the fact that most of the violent crime is drug related and the number of innocent people involved is normally very low?

J

JMBroad

A bit like the one in the news today -

"Mugger is killed while trying to rob policeman"

Aparrently the mugger went up to a policeman sitting in his squad car and asked him to hand over his watch. So the policeman shot him. :eek:

Sounds like a "Hamlet Cigars" advertisement (don't know if they still do those)

http://tribunadonorte.com.br/87430.html

D

Dotty

Banned
Once again,no experience of living in Natal in the present!If you say with a mother leaving a private school at 5.30pm with her young child getting into a car whilst 3 armed men assault her in Petropolis and 2 other armed assaults within 1 day of eachother in the same area not dangerous,then you are barmy!!Check out the whole week and then tell me otherwise. :eek::eek:
Aka yet again you refuse to provide anything to back up your own personal opinions. People used to think the world is flat - in fact they KNEW it to be so but once you actually research it, you find out it's not flat... If you never research anything you'll never move out of the cave and you'll continue to think that people have square heads...

Oh and by the way, no comment on the fact that most of the violent crime is drug related and the number of innocent people involved is normally very low?

J

JMBroad

How about YOU check it out and provide a link to the article the way I did? Not surprising you think Brasil is a dangerous place if this is your attitude to people in your life.

Stop imposing your views on other people and then cursing them when they don't agree. Instead, present your views and back them up - use the means which sets us apart from animals (the ability to reason and communicate, not opposable thumbs) and you may find Brasil less dangerous.

D

Dotty

Banned
Nobody is imposing my views on others.Just writing what is the truth and not flowering up as though it is not happening.:):)
How about YOU check it out and provide a link to the article the way I did? Not surprising you think Brasil is a dangerous place if this is your attitude to people in your life.

Stop imposing your views on other people and then cursing them when they don't agree. Instead, present your views and back them up - use the means which sets us apart from animals (the ability to reason and communicate, not opposable thumbs) and you may find Brasil less dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.