Brazil not as violent as you thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
debzor

debzor

A bit like the one in the news today -

"Mugger is killed while trying to rob policeman"

Aparrently the mugger went up to a policeman sitting in his squad car and asked him to hand over his watch. So the policeman shot him. :eek:

Sounds like a "Hamlet Cigars" advertisement (don't know if they still do those)

Assaltante é morto em confronto com a polícia em Caraúbas - Tribuna do Norte

Absolutely love that one!!!

Sounds more like a scene from Indiana Jones or Blazing Saddles!

Recently here a policeman was trying to arrest someone who was under an arrest warrant. The guy made a run for it so the policeman shot him. Actually saves a lot of money in both cases.

The problem with statistics on crime is that a lot of crime is not reported. Even in the UK your average man in the street still does not believe that crime is 'officially' dropping, because he is more aware of it, experiences and sees it more, and has access to multi media that makes him instantly aware of it, and much goes unreported. Or the government simply lies...

debzor

debzor

I have just recently noticed that every time I fill my car, the attendants (many of them females) make a point of drawing my attention to the fact that the pump meter is at zero and finishes at the requested amount, before taking my money.

Is this a new Brazilian fashion towards honesty? Is there something I am missing - (I do check they are pumping the right stuff)? Or am I having my attention drawn away from something else, although I seem to have 4 wheels when leaving? Or perhaps do they fear I might shoot them and set the place ablaze for the odd cent?

I am bemused by this recent repeated occurence.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member

Recently here a policeman was trying to arrest someone who was under an arrest warrant. The guy made a run for it so the policeman shot him. Actually saves a lot of money in both cases.

The problem with statistics on crime is that a lot of crime is not reported. Even in the UK your average man in the street still does not believe that crime is 'officially' dropping, because he is more aware of it, experiences and sees it more, and has access to multi media that makes him instantly aware of it, and much goes unreported. Or the government simply lies...
Don't forget that the media plays a huge part in making us think something is the case when if you look at the numbers it clearly isn't the case.

An excellent case in point is the credit crunch which is being promoted as the end of the world. I even saw someone call last monday "black monday" becuase lehman's went under and the stockmarkets dropped 5%. Fear sells papers sober analysis sells nothing.

Here is an explanation I read yesterday on the damage that the credit crunch could do:

"It helps to keep some perspective. Even if all of the $540 billion in subprime assets went bust (laughably unlikely),and even if not one cent were raised at auction of those assets (simply impossible),the U.S. economy would still only be looking at a total hit of about 3.8 percent of GDP. This is roughly the same amount that the United States had to process from the 1980s savings and loan crisis."

unfortunately this doesn't sell papers :).

Rob.

J

JMBroad

Personally I prefer more of a conspiracy theory outlook on the credit crunch. More to do with how it started and who benefits from it and the similarities of cause and consequence with the Great Depression. Same people are benefitting now as did back then.

J

JMBroad

Reminds me of 20 years ago in Portugal - Car refused to stop for the police at a random check so the policeman aimed at the tyres, fired and managed to hit the driver in the head, killing him. What's more worrying - his abusive use of force or his really, really bad aim!

J

Joachim

A bit like the one in the news today -

"Mugger is killed while trying to rob policeman"

Aparrently the mugger went up to a policeman sitting in his squad car and asked him to hand over his watch. So the policeman shot him. :eek:

Sounds like a "Hamlet Cigars" advertisement (don't know if they still do those)
Haha... last wednesday night around 19:30 in the Candelaria neighbourhood in Natal a vagabond held a revolver at point blank range at a victim having a beer at one of those road cafes. The victim said "easy, easy.. here take my mobile phone, my wallet... here take even my car keys". Once the vagabond turns his back and walks a few feet away, the victim pulls a revolver of his own and releases 6 gunshots into the vagabond, dying instantely. It turns out to be that the victim was an officer of the Policia Federal having a drink in his free time.. haha... I reckon Natal has a reputation of vagabonds wanted to steal from police officers = idiots.

D

Dotty

Banned
Driving along Rua Jaguarai the other night about 5.30 I looked out of the car and could see a man standing over another just shotting at him.It never made the papers and like everybody else we just drove on.That is what's so crazy about Brasil you become used to seeing and hearing about bad car accidents and assaults and you just hope it never happens to you. There is talk of taking on 500 new police to help combate the escalation in crime .

Did you hear about the bandits that took over a whole luxury predio in Tirol last year one quiet Sunday morning at about 11am.Group of men entered through the parking area,entered the lifts ,got into the apartments whilst families were at home and took 1,000's in cash,jewellery,laptops etc . To date they have never been caught.This is a typically crime found in rio and s.p.
QUOTE=Joachim;76372]Haha... last wednesday night around 19:30 in the Candelaria neighbourhood in Natal a vagabond held a revolver at point blank range at a victim having a beer at one of those road cafes. The victim said "easy, easy.. here take my mobile phone, my wallet... here take even my car keys". Once the vagabond turns his back and walks a few feet away, the victim pulls a revolver of his own and releases 6 gunshots into the vagabond, dying instantely. It turns out to be that the victim was an officer of the Policia Federal having a drink in his free time.. haha... I reckon Natal has a reputation of vagabonds wanted to steal from police officers = idiots.[/QUOTE]

debzor

debzor

Talk about bad luck - In the news today:

"Stray bullet leaves a student blind... 24 year old José Neto was hit in the head by a stray bullet while walking around Chinatown, Calgary in Canada. José Neto is orginally from Fortaleza, Brazil and moved to Canada six months ago."

Bala perdida deixa estudante cearense cego no Canadá - 19/09/2008 - DN ONLINE Cotidiano

I assume the connection to Brazil is purely incidental, and that, like nearly every other city in the world, Calgary (Canada) is seeing a large increase in crime resulting in increased municipal budgets to provide more police officers to combat it?

Just like Brazil.

B

Blc

Driving along Rua Jaguarai the other night about 5.30 I looked out of the car and could see a man standing over another just shotting at him.It never made the papers and like everybody else we just drove on.That is what's so crazy about Brasil you become used to seeing and hearing about bad car accidents and assaults and you just hope it never happens to you. There is talk of taking on 500 new police to help combate the escalation in crime .

Did you hear about the bandits that took over a whole luxury predio in Tirol last year one quiet Sunday morning at about 11am.Group of men entered through the parking area,entered the lifts ,got into the apartments whilst families were at home and took 1,000's in cash,jewellery,laptops etc . To date they have never been caught.This is a typically crime found in rio and s.p.
QUOTE=Joachim;76372]Haha... last wednesday night around 19:30 in the Candelaria neighbourhood in Natal a vagabond held a revolver at point blank range at a victim having a beer at one of those road cafes. The victim said "easy, easy.. here take my mobile phone, my wallet... here take even my car keys". Once the vagabond turns his back and walks a few feet away, the victim pulls a revolver of his own and releases 6 gunshots into the vagabond, dying instantely. It turns out to be that the victim was an officer of the Policia Federal having a drink in his free time.. haha... I reckon Natal has a reputation of vagabonds wanted to steal from police officers = idiots.
[/QUOTE] I read last week Brazilmagg.com that 20% of all murders are down to the police 70% in Recife ok i dont agree with crime but you cant shoot people in the back ,why not arrest him.

debzor

debzor

To the point of the thread - recent report by the Brazilian Association of Traffic Medicine (Abramet) states that death by motorcycle in the 27 state capitals has increased by 475% between 1996 and 2005 (the latest figures),and far exceeds murder as a cause of death!

According to the study, the four cities with the highest number of bikes for each inhabitant - Boa Vista (RO),Goiania (GO),Palmas (TO) and Campo Grande (MS) - are precisely those that have the highest rate of deaths in accidents involving motorcycles. Not too surprising.

Apparently Palmas (TO) has the worst record, with rates of 9.6 deaths by motorbike per thousand inhabitants, or 960 per 100,000 - way over the murder rates... So perhaps Brazil is safer than we thought - unless you are on a motorbike.

Somewhat unfortunately the researcher is quoted as saying the daily death toll by motorbike is equivalent to an aeroplane falling out of the sky in Brazil every day.

R

RalphJ

To the point of the thread - recent report by the Brazilian Association of Traffic Medicine (Abramet) states that death by motorcycle in the 27 state capitals has increased by 475% between 1996 and 2005 (the latest figures),and far exceeds murder as a cause of death!

According to the study, the four cities with the highest number of bikes for each inhabitant - Boa Vista (RO),Goiania (GO),Palmas (TO) and Campo Grande (MS) - are precisely those that have the highest rate of deaths in accidents involving motorcycles. Not too surprising.

Apparently Palmas (TO) has the worst record, with rates of 9.6 deaths by motorbike per thousand inhabitants, or 960 per 100,000 - way over the murder rates... So perhaps Brazil is safer than we thought - unless you are on a motorbike.

Somewhat unfortunately the researcher is quoted as saying the daily death toll by motorbike is equivalent to an aeroplane falling out of the sky in Brazil every day.

"Death by motorcycle" Debzor is categorized as deaths in vehicle accidents, which would be included in their statistics of deaths in motor vehicle accidents which last count was approximately 40,000 per year in total. This has nothing to do with "violent deaths" in Brazil, or murder count. Which at last count was more than 20 per 100K for the entire country, or more than 50,000 per year in total.

So perhaps Brazil is safer than we thought

Compared to what?

The only thing that this shows is that one is more likely to get killed on the roads here in Brazil than he is getting murdered. And on both counts are amongst the worst ratios on the planet.

D

davehoskings

Ralph,

I looked at your site nearly a year ago and you were offering 10% discount then for the first 10 units sold at "rose gardens"?

Since you are still offering this, does this mean that you haven't sold anything, if not why not is the Aracaju market very quiet?

"Death by motorcycle" Debzor is categorized as deaths in vehicle accidents, which would be included in their statistics of deaths in motor vehicle accidents which last count was approximately 40,000 per year in total. This has nothing to do with "violent deaths" in Brazil, or murder count. Which at last count was more than 20 per 100K for the entire country, or more than 50,000 per year in total.

Compared to what?

The only thing that this shows is that one is more likely to get killed on the roads here in Brazil than he is getting murdered. And on both counts are amongst the worst ratios on the planet.

debzor

debzor

The only thing that this shows is that one is more likely to get killed on the roads here in Brazil than he is getting murdered. [/QUOTE]

That was exactly my point, Ralph!

I was trying to put murder into perspective in a tongue-in-cheek manner, since some posts seemed to imply that you should not come to Brasil for fear of being murdered...

Status
Not open for further replies.