Brazil awarded Investment Rating BBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone notice they didn't mention Brazil? The ONLY country of the 4 BRIC's that wasn't mentioned. From 2003 until 2007 the entire globe grew at a medium rate of 4+%.....Brazil didn't even make par. Only Haiti grew at a slower rate during that time period than Brazil in Latin American and Carribean countries.

And now the interest rates are rising once again. Twice in the last 3 months. Now to 12.25% per annum. And the biggest detriment has been inflation, seeing large increases in flour (farina de trigo),rice, beans, and other staples. When a country has 40 million of it's populuation making less than 2 U.S. dollars per day it has a dramatic effect.

And there it is.....Custo Brasil!
Did you actually watch the same video? He did say that Brazil's growth rate has picked up massively in the last six months.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
They're making a killing now!!! Why export when you can sell to your own countrymen for $7 U.S. per gallon?? What good is it to be "self sufficient" in oil yet sell to your own brethren for double the price than what "other" countries sell for who import 50% !!!!
Being self sufficient in oil is good for stability, which is one reason that Brazil was upgraded.

I presume you are talking about the US and their too cheap fuel? The US subsidises oil so of course it is comparatively very cheap, but that can't and won't last for ever.

R

RalphJ

Being self sufficient in oil is good for stability, which is one reason that Brazil was upgraded.

I presume you are talking about the US and their too cheap fuel? The US subsidises oil so of course it is comparatively very cheap, but that can't and won't last for ever.

They just don't tax it to death.

Did you actually watch the same video? He did say that Brazil's growth rate has picked up massively in the last six months.

Yes, the BRICS are aprox. have approximately half the GDP of the U.S. and many have asked why they don't drop the B(Brasil) in BRIC and he has seen the GDP pick up in the last 6 months.

FCZ

FCZ

So B should be removed from the BRIC...:rolleyes:. But that isn't what investment banks and rating agencies are saying.

GDP per capital growth rates: Brazil fell behind almost everyone in the past, but now is picking momentum are growing more than several other LA countries. Some other countries financed their grow with public spending (or manipulating indexes, i.e., Argentina) and now are in trouble. Some are doing ok.

Inflation: check the link below:
Inflation in emerging economies | An old enemy rears its head | Economist.com

Actually, Brazil has been praised for the Central Bank independence and for keeping real interest rates positive. Particularly, I believe this is the second best alternative; since the inception of the inflation target by the Central Bank, I've been saying that the Government should cut spending to slow things down instead of increasing interest rates. Guess what, for the first time ever, I heard the PT government to admit it (tough don't believe they will do it)... They already increase the primary surplus (exclusive of interest rates payments) to an extra 0.5%. Also, for the first time ever, Brazil had a nominal surplus (inclusive of interest rates for government debt). I don't thing this will repeat again soon, but that is the last condition for Moody's to upgrade Brazil to investment grade.
It should be noticed yet, that increase in food prices affect way more inflation in poor and middle income countries, because food weights more on the CPI.

Custo Brasil: that is right, there are lots to do yet; I could write a long list by myself. Some of them I don't see any possibility that this government will fix it. But I'm talking in a context. Are things getting better or worst comparatively with Brazil and others countries few years back. In my humble opinion, clearly better.

Again, some of you may not have noticed, but there is a huge financial crisis out there + a food shortage that is causing food prices skyrocket. Despite of that, Brazil is relatively well, and that is the point of the article mentioned before. Goldman Sachs is saying that actually the BRIC (with B) economies are gaining ground, unlike the past when recession used to be the outcome.

I could go on, but I don't think I need. Everyone has his own impressions, and that is ok for me.

Last edited:
G

Golfingworld

Even I would have a great deal of difficulty doubting that article!

A

afinalresult

Not sure about the currency however the financial institutions are likely to "Broaden their minds".

One of the very important factors mentioned in the report, in my opinion is that FDI in Brazil (Foreign Direct Investment) has continued a strong and steady growth in 2008 despite achieving a record 34.6 bn US$ in 2007.

The pragmatic macro-economic policies have laid solid foundations for a real GDP growth of around 4-4.5%

If the world generally feels more confident about investing in Brazil and consider that it is an increasingly safe investment, surely this will lead to higher FDI which will lead to higher investment in the country by the government which will continue the sustained growth of the economy and the middle class, which in turn increases the demand for residential property by this growing middle class who are also now starting to have access to more and more financial solutions for their purchase.

With 22 million houses in deficit currently, not counting the growth over the coming years, it is easy to see how buying a property in Brazil can be a very wise investment.

Well done for your comments. Brazil is in a fantastic position and will continue to grow! They are one of the BRIC countries and they have an abundance of natural resources to export! I am personally very impressed from the research I have done and I beleive N/E of Brazil is the best place to invest. Do you agree?

E

ExperienceInt.Dale

I absolutely agree with the above have been researching the market in Brazil for months now and it does seem to tick the right boxes.

There is no doubt in my mind that Brazil is one of the Worlds biggest emering markets, with the new airport coming to Natal, all the investment being poured into the North East of the country, oil supplies, Standard and Poors investment grading etc..

There has never been a better time to invest especially with the Real currency strengthening... Ofcourse with all the emergers comes the doubts but at the end of the day its risk vs return and thus far it all seems very positive you just need to be cautious and do your due dilligence....make sure you buy through the right company, right location and at the right price....

Brazil is already ranked 9th in the world in terms of Gross Domestic Product and with a GDP growth rate of 5.4% last year, the Brazilian economy is set to be among the largest, if not the largest, economies in the world.

One of the big four BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China),foreign direct investment is pouring in and a young up and coming middle class is emerging, creating massive internal demand for property.

Standard and Poor's have recently given Brazil an investment grade credit rating and mortgages are becoming available to locals for the first time.

This is sure to have an upward effect on the economy and property market overall...which is highly considered as under valued in comparison to mediterranean locations such as Spain..

D

Dotty

Banned
The new airport in Natal is crawling along at the moment and will be nowhere near finished in 2009/2010[.Whilst the currency is strong in Brasil it makes it more expensive to invest and the risks higher and not cheaper and easier!TQUOTE=ExperienceInt.Dale;62273]I absolutely agree with the above have been researching the market in Brazil for months now and it does seem to tick the right boxes.

There is no doubt in my mind that Brazil is one of the Worlds biggest emering markets, with the new airport coming to Natal, all the investment being poured into the North East of the country, oil supplies, Standard and Poors investment grading etc..

There has never been a better time to invest especially with the Real currency strengthening... Ofcourse with all the emergers comes the doubts but at the end of the day its risk vs return and thus far it all seems very positive you just need to be cautious and do your due dilligence....make sure you buy through the right company, right location and at the right price....

Brazil is already ranked 9th in the world in terms of Gross Domestic Product and with a GDP growth rate of 5.4% last year, the Brazilian economy is set to be among the largest, if not the largest, economies in the world.

One of the big four BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China),foreign direct investment is pouring in and a young up and coming middle class is emerging, creating massive internal demand for property.

Standard and Poor's have recently given Brazil an investment grade credit rating and mortgages are becoming available to locals for the first time.

This is sure to have an upward effect on the economy and property market overall...which is highly considered as under valued in comparison to mediterranean locations such as Spain..[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.