Brazil and Argentina officially abolish their trade in U.S. dollars, says Lula

• Thread starter jonathanlondres
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonathanlondres

The President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva signed this Monday (8) an agreement with his colleague argentina, Cristina Kirchner, who will officially launch the use of pesos (argentina currency) and real in trade between the two countries by abolishing the use the dollar, according interview published today in the Argentine daily "Clarín".

"We will abolish the dollar as currency in our trade," said the president. "It is important to remember that over 70% of that Argentina exports to Brazil are manufactured products. That means more value added, more production, more employment. This represents a tremendous potential, because Argentina is in a process of reindustrialisation. "

Lula said it is important that Brazil and Argentina to see one another as partners, not as competitors, when asked about the image that Brazil projected to take autonomous decisions on issues such as the Doha Round, for example. "It's very important that Brazil and Argentina are feeling not as competitors but as partners (...) I believe, work and bet on the integration of South America and with more commitment to the strengthening of Mercosur," Lula said.

"Argentina has to see Brazil as a market of 190 million inhabitants, with which the border. They are not required vessels and flights of 14 hours for export. Just across a bridge."

Last edited:
M

Mineiro

She must be "officially launching the use of weights " to give the Argentinian economy more muscle.

debzor

debzor

Does this mean I must trade in all my 'pesos' for brass weights?

Surely most of Columbian exports to Brazil are also manufactured products?

Facetious, I know, but could not resist. Sorry...

J

JMBroad

Google Translator ftw :)

But nice find on the article.

J

jonathanlondres

I m brazilian, so I can read what the brazilian media are talking about...why not translate into english and share the information? Hope u liked:)

M

Mineiro

Surely after you use the Google Translator you're going to want to read through it before posting it. If you don't you're going to run the risk of being held up to ridicule.

J

JMBroad

Surely after you use the Google Translator you're going to want to read through it before posting it. If you don't you're going to run the risk of being held up to ridicule.
Well personally I read it in Portuguese so I wouldn't bother using the translator. But as Jonathan stated, although he can read it in Portuguese, he's taking the time to put it through Google translator for those that can't read Portuguese.

Why ridicule? He took the time to run an article he found through a google translator so that those who can't speak Portuguese could understand it. I don't think anyone on these forums needs a babysitter to hold their hand through each and every post. It was pretty obvious to at least three of us that "weight" was referring to the "peso".

You may not appreciate it as your name implies that you speak Portuguese but other non-Portuguese speaking forumites might be thankful. If you speak Spanish/Portuguese, do what I did, find the original article in the Argentine newspaper "Clarín" and read the whole thing. It's an interesting article.

J

jonathanlondres

Well personally I read it in Portuguese so I wouldn't bother using the translator. But as Jonathan stated, although he can read it in Portuguese, he's taking the time to put it through Google translator for those that can't read Portuguese.

Why ridicule? He took the time to run an article he found through a google translator so that those who can't speak Portuguese could understand it. I don't think anyone on these forums needs a babysitter to hold their hand through each and every post. It was pretty obvious to at least three of us that "weight" was referring to the "peso".

You may not appreciate it as your name implies that you speak Portuguese but other non-Portuguese speaking forumites might be thankful. If you speak Spanish/Portuguese, do what I did, find the original article in the Argentine newspaper "Clarín" and read the whole thing. It's an interesting article.
Obrigado/Gracias

M

Mineiro

Firstly I would have thought that if someone was interested in reading about the meeting yesterday between Christina and Lula:mad:they would either read about it themselves in Portuguese or either translate the article such as Johnathan has done or read about it elsewhere on an English site.
Secondly as you say some non-speaking forumites might well be thankful, but I don't think there must be that many people interested in a trade meeting between Brazil and Argentina that don't live in Brazil, don't speak Portuguese, and don't have a great interest in international trade agreements.
Finally I don't think that people need a babysitter to go through the posts ,but I do think that if you're going to continually copy newspaper articles on Brazil's economic situation for seemingly no reason whatsoever you should at least read through the post to correct silly mistakes.

J

JMBroad

Firstly I would have thought that if someone was interested in reading about the meeting yesterday between Christina and Lula:mad:they would either read about it themselves in Portuguese or either translate the article such as Johnathan has done or read about it elsewhere on an English site.
Secondly as you say some non-speaking forumites might well be thankful, but I don't think there must be that many people interested in a trade meeting between Brazil and Argentina that don't live in Brazil, don't speak Portuguese, and don't have a great interest in international trade agreements.
Finally I don't think that people need a babysitter to go through the posts ,but I do think that if you're going to continually copy newspaper articles on Brazil's economic situation for seemingly no reason whatsoever you should at least read through the post to correct silly mistakes.
Duly noted - personally I'd missed that meeting so it was good for me to know about it so I could read up on what went on.

I think anyone interested in investing in Brazil would be interested in a meeting where Argentina and Brazil decide to abolish using the US$ as trade currency to implement the use of the Peso and the Real as it shows yet again that Brazil is less and less dependant on the US economy given the current US economic condition.

Finally, it all depends on how good Jonathan's English is.

T

timatthebeach

i was interested to read the article, am not in brazil at the moment, hadnt seen it on u.k. media and as my portuguese is still pants (but coming along)was happy for the trasnlation.

M

Mineiro

i was interested to read the article, am not in brazil at the moment, hadnt seen it on u.k. media and as my portuguese is still pants (but coming along)was happy for the trasnlation.
Well then it shouldn't be" getting on your t*ts", should it. And what precisely was your sudden found interest. You certainly didn't seem so interested in other threads.

M

Mineiro

Duly noted - personally I'd missed that meeting so it was good for me to know about it so I could read up on what went on.

I think anyone interested in investing in Brazil would be interested in a meeting where Argentina and Brazil decide to abolish using the US$ as trade currency to implement the use of the Peso and the Real as it shows yet again that Brazil is less and less dependant on the US economy given the current US economic condition.

Finally, it all depends on how good Jonathan's English is.
JMB, I would have said it has little relation to Brazil's dependance on the US. The substitution of the dollar for local currencies is to increase the ease with which small and medium exporters can now begin to increase the number of commercial transactions between the 2 countries, without having to resort to currency contracts in dollars. The elimination of a third currency means that small businesses will be able to fix prices in their own currency thus protecting themselves against currency fluctuations. This has more to do with the progress in Latin America towards a single currency.

T

timatthebeach

mineiro
i have been interested in jonathons other threads (just because i don't post doesn't mean i am not reading them) - if you go back and read my comment re: "gettimg on my ti*s" i was merely saying that i would prefer the posts in one thread rather than lots of different threads. as my computer is slow, scrolling down one thread is preferable to going into lots of different threads.

M

Mineiro

mineiro
i have been interested in jonathons other threads (just because i don't post doesn't mean i am not reading them) - if you go back and read my comment re: "gettimg on my ti*s" i was merely saying that i would prefer the posts in one thread rather than lots of different threads. as my computer is slow, scrolling down one thread is preferable to going into lots of different threads.
Quite understand you Tim. A proposito como esta a folha de bananeira.

J

JMBroad

Deixa lá, já percebi, acho que estou a ficar lento com a idade, sabe?

T

timatthebeach

not sure what a banana leaf has to do with anything ........ am sure it makes sense in colloquial brazillian portuguese just not to me ...........

Status
Not open for further replies.