'Brasil Investor Guide 2008' - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brasil23

Hi All,

I intend to purchase property in Brasil within the next 12-18 months so have been sourcing as much information on the brasilian property market as I can find. I recently came across a publication titled 'Brasil Investor Guide 2008' that you can purchase online for $39. Has anyone read this guide, and if so, is it worth buying? It seems to be a little expensive considering all the good information that you can get for free on sites like this?

cheers

J

JMBroad

Not heard of it however considering how fast the market is moving over here (to the domestic market especially) I wouldn't think that last years guide would do much good - also as you well say, considering that you can get a lot of great information on here.

Buying property in any country always depends on the local legislation and in many cases not only the country's legislation but also the town hall of the specific area you are looking to invest in.

If the guide explains the buying process in Brazil in detail, then it would be worth having, but again if you are using an agent (either here in Brazil or in Europe) then they would give you an overview which your independent lawyer would then confirm.

If it is pointing out the best places to invest in Brazil and investment strategies then I'd say not worth it because of the speed at which things are changing and developing, new buildings going up and creating more competition for existing developments, new areas being developed, etc, etc.

Summary - only reason I could see to pay for a guide would be to get an initial overview of the way investments in Brazil work without having to read through all the posts here on the forums or hiring an independent lawyer. So it all depends on how reliable the guide is and how much your time is worth to you.

Where did you find it, maybe some of us can take a look and give you some more precise feedback.

M

mitico67

Hi All,

I intend to purchase property in Brasil within the next 12-18 months so have been sourcing as much information on the brasilian property market as I can find. I recently came across a publication titled 'Brasil Investor Guide 2008' that you can purchase online for $39. Has anyone read this guide, and if so, is it worth buying? It seems to be a little expensive considering all the good information that you can get for free on sites like this?

cheers
I bought it. need to check if it's the 2007 or 2008 edition. If I still got it I can send you the pdf file. If we are talking of the same guide, it doesn' t offer any more info that you cann get for free on the web. I'll let you know

B

Brasil23

Brasil investor guide

Hi JM,

I agree that the brasilian market is moving fast and there will likely be addtional factors with the evolving economic crisis. The guide can be found at brazilestates. com (at the bottom of the page). I recently contacted the author/publisher and he was uncertain if an updated version of the investor guide would be published in 2009, which is what I am really after. Anymore feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Mitico67 - That would be great if you could send me the pdf file! Did you find it informative, in particular does it point to 'hot spots' in brasil real estate and projected growth?

M

MovingSoon

I would agree with Mitico67, you can find the same information on the Internet, especially more current information. My wife had a friend loan a 2008 copy to her and it was still king of dated...

B

Brasil23

Thanks MovingSoon, I am leaning towards not buying it due to that very reason - outdated in a fast moving environment

B

Brazilian Homes

Hi Brasil 23,

We have he guide which we bought out of interest two years ago. Even tough the guide is OK, it is definitely not of any extra added value, especially when you have to pay for it. I would say it is more targeted at developers who are looking for basic advice about Brazil, build costs etc.

There is a lot of "wrong" information about Brazil, especially on the internet. We have some very good reports from leading consulting companies, and of course our own professional knowhow from being a company based in Brazil.

We feel the biggest misconception about Brazil is about where it is good to buy property in Brazil. Most developments you´ll see being marketed in Europe, are in locations where a Brazilian person would never buy, but they look nice in flashy brochures.

If you intent to buy in Brazil, only place to buy is in a location where brazilians buy. Otherwise you´ll be 100% dependent on the flow of foreign tourists. This summer for example (it is summer here now) we have noticed fewer foreign tourists around but a lot of brazilian tourists, and many areas where the brazilians go (local and brazilian tourists) all the hotels have been fully booked.

If we use Natal where we are based as an example, Natal city and Pipa beach have been fully booked this summer, mainly by brazilian tourists. The areas further away are only visited on the so called "day trips" but are empty in the evenings. Point being, if you had bought a property in the wrong area, you would have made a bad investment.

Like always, it of course depends on your reason for buying (personal use, investment, a combination of the two etc).

We´ll be happy to answer any questions you may have about Brazil.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Brasil 23,

We have he guide which we bought out of interest two years ago. Even tough the guide is OK, it is definitely not of any extra added value, especially when you have to pay for it. I would say it is more targeted at developers who are looking for basic advice about Brazil, build costs etc.

There is a lot of "wrong" information about Brazil, especially on the internet. We have some very good reports from leading consulting companies, and of course our own professional knowhow from being a company based in Brazil.

We feel the biggest misconception about Brazil is about where it is good to buy property in Brazil. Most developments you´ll see being marketed in Europe, are in locations where a Brazilian person would never buy, but they look nice in flashy brochures.

If you intent to buy in Brazil, only place to buy is in a location where brazilians buy. Otherwise you´ll be 100% dependent on the flow of foreign tourists. This summer for example (it is summer here now) we have noticed fewer foreign tourists around but a lot of brazilian tourists, and many areas where the brazilians go (local and brazilian tourists) all the hotels have been fully booked.

If we use Natal where we are based as an example, Natal city and Pipa beach have been fully booked this summer, mainly by brazilian tourists. The areas further away are only visited on the so called "day trips" but are empty in the evenings. Point being, if you had bought a property in the wrong area, you would have made a bad investment.

Like always, it of course depends on your reason for buying (personal use, investment, a combination of the two etc).

We´ll be happy to answer any questions you may have about Brazil.
Hi Alex,

I was wondering when I would hear from you again. How was the move to Brazil? We should catch up in a couple of weeks when we are in Natal.

Regards,
Rob

J

JMBroad

An Alex used to work for a company who were promoting developments by a developer called Brazil Homes - he was based in Brazil although they had an office in Spain and one (i believe) in the UK.

That Alex left the company he was working for recently and the last rumour I heard (although I never asked Alex himself so not sure) was that he was heading to Brazil to set up his own project...

The similarity of the company names "Brazilian Homes" and "Brazil Homes" is probably what made Rob assume you were that Alex.

Although then again I might have got it all wrong.

Welcome though, good to have another person living in Brazil to participate on the forums.

B

Brazilian Homes

Now I understand. Got me lost there. He is one of the partners in the company. You probably meant Alec and not Alex.

B

Brasil23

Just as a coincidence, when I was in Natal I met a real estate agent named Alex - a German guy with shaved head who spoke fluent English, Portugeuse and Spanish. He seemed to be switched on but was solely focussed on big developments when I met him. He mentioned that his wife could show me some private properties but I ran out of time.... maybe the same guy.

Brasilian Homes - Its good to hear Natal and Pipa continue to grow as they were 2of the areas I liked and shortlisted to buy

B

Brazilian Homes

We know Alex. Nice guy.

Natal and Pipa will always be popular. On the north coast our favourite picks are Sao Miguel do Gostoso (no good developments yet) and Jacuma as it is so close to Natal. Jacuma has some great value villas for sale, especially with the current currency rate of the Brazilian R$.

Have you looked at any other cities? Maceio is really, really nice as well, and there are many other places which are great and popular among brazilians.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Just as a coincidence, when I was in Natal I met a real estate agent named Alex - a German guy with shaved head who spoke fluent English, Portugeuse and Spanish. He seemed to be switched on but was solely focussed on big developments when I met him. He mentioned that his wife could show me some private properties but I ran out of time.... maybe the same guy.

Brasilian Homes - Its good to hear Natal and Pipa continue to grow as they were 2of the areas I liked and shortlisted to buy
I know the Alex you are talking about very well, but he is a different person.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
An Alex used to work for a company who were promoting developments by a developer called Brazil Homes - he was based in Brazil although they had an office in Spain and one (i believe) in the UK.

That Alex left the company he was working for recently and the last rumour I heard (although I never asked Alex himself so not sure) was that he was heading to Brazil to set up his own project...

The similarity of the company names "Brazilian Homes" and "Brazil Homes" is probably what made Rob assume you were that Alex.

Although then again I might have got it all wrong.

Welcome though, good to have another person living in Brazil to participate on the forums.
It is the same Alex but he really should have been called Alec by us :eek:.

If I remember correctly BrazilianHomes.com used to be used by FMS to promote Porto dos Corais and Brazil Homes is the developer of Porto dos Corais.

J

JMBroad

Funny I always thought he spelt it Alex... But yes that's who we meant. Send him my regards and good luck with his new project.

Robh - I think they did use that website but they stopped representing the Brazil Homes development (Porto dos Corais) a couple of months before Alec left .

And Brasil23, the German Alex is another chap - he and his wife are still out here and doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.