Blindness and stupidity when investing in Brazil

R

RalphJ

Hey Ralph J,

Sounds like you know whats happening in Sergipe and Salvador areas. Before I moved to Sao Paulo 4 years ago, I lived in Salvador for about a year. I feel much more confortable buying there and most likely will in the next year or so. Again, with the intension of doubling my money, but just a nice as a place to live.

I would like to know your opion on the following. I have been looking at the "SalvadorHomes dot com dot br website weekly for the past 18 months, with particular focus on Laura de Freitas. Especially within Rs. 200 - 350, 000 range, newly built, and in closed condominiums, I have noticed many of the homes( 50 - 100) I saw in the site 18 months ago, have still not been sold.

I have read that there is alot of development there too, but even so, and can only conclude there just arent enough buyers if these new houses have not been sold after 18 months.

To be honest, I think its would be very easy to negotiate a great discount from there current listed prices as there are few buyers. What do you think.... is this the same in Sergipe ?

Lauro de Freitas is a very nice area. I know several people that live there. Without question, as is the case in most all of Brazil, if you have cash in hand you can definitely negotiate and in most cases get at least 10% off the asking price.

S

Sao P

Lauro de Freitas is a very nice area. I know several people that live there. Without question, as is the case in most all of Brazil, if you have cash in hand you can definitely negotiate and in most cases get at least 10% off the asking price.
Thanks for your swift reply. I do see value for what is being built there, at not extorsionate prices. Towards the end of the year, will be on holiday from the grind here in SP and will be passing by.Would like to see Sergipe too. Will arrange an appointment with yourself to discuuss any thing that could be of interest there too.

But if you ever get a great deal come accross your desk that reads 4 bedrooms, unique, and newly built, send me a quick note.

R

RalphJ

Thanks for your swift reply. I do see value for what is being built there, at not extorsionate prices. Towards the end of the year, will be on holiday from the grind here in SP and will be passing by.Would like to see Sergipe too. Will arrange an appointment with yourself to discuuss any thing that could be of interest there too.

But if you ever get a great deal come accross your desk that reads 4 bedrooms, unique, and newly built, send me a quick note.

No problem. When/if in the area don't hesistate to contact...details are on my sites. Will be happy to show you around.

D

Dotty

Banned
All you overseas (late investors)are really being screwed.You are the laughing stock of the property boom,crash,wallop!!It is hilarious.I have been here for years,already Sanchez have fallen,Lagao Coalho is now on its knees and more are about to fall,so do not part with your money and if you do then you will need to get used to Brazilian mess and do not believe everything you hear .The Brits have no experience of the Brazilian market and are jsut all trying to flog the same junk at rediculously over priced prices too!!

D

Dotty

Banned
you are right!

You are right.Natal is very quiet.Business is way down.People are losing jobs and another airline is about to go bust aswell!The latest news is that The David Beckham thing is a disaster and will not go ahead,so there you go.
Well JM, go on and believe your own patronizing crap about saturation of Natal airport.

Next time you are there visit the toilets, since you seem to have the knowledge to asses sewage and toilets capacity, and you will notice that there not queuing to get in there.

But now I am going to give other different example showing the fragility of the tourist demand for Brazil.

In December 2006 the Spanish company AIR MADRID collapsed and had to file for bankruptcy.
Before that they were flying Madrid – Fortaleza twice a week (about 250 seats each flight)
After the stopped, ultimo December 2006, nobody has bothered to take up this flight and their respective slots. There is not a flight MAD – FOR today

Then using common sense most discerning travelers and investors will get to the conclusion that there are not as much demand for Brazil as real estate agents pretend.

By the way, in Natal this season already started weaker than last year’s, regarding overseas tourists.

P

PeixeGato

All you overseas (late investors)are really being screwed.You are the laughing stock of the property boom,crash,wallop!!It is hilarious.I have been here for years,already Sanchez have fallen,Lagao Coalho is now on its knees and more are about to fall,so do not part with your money and if you do then you will need to get used to Brazilian mess and do not believe everything you hear .The Brits have no experience of the Brazilian market and are jsut all trying to flog the same junk at rediculously over priced prices too!!

Um, do you have anything constructive to say? I find your ability to laugh at people's misfortunes to be quite disturbing. This message board is for people to provide/get advice on investing. We have no interest in hearing about how you take joy in laughing at people who got in over their heads or got swindled into bad deals.

Please try not to fall off that high and mighty horse you are riding, for the fall would be so far that you'd probably not survive. People like you generally do not have any true friends or people who care about them. Tell me, what is life like when you are a loner that has no friends?

D

Dotty

Banned
discount

You can actually get 30% off.10% is very small!

D

Dotty

Banned
Well Jim they are not selling at the rate you think and I know every building in Natal and along the coasts,so there you go.If you go all through Natal and the coast you will see properties totally empty.Along the coast prices are the same as completion prices 2 yrs ago as they are not moving and very negotiable.Can you give me some quotes on land prices as you are an expert?
I don't know of any developments which have lowered their prices recently. Could you tell us which ones did - I'd be interested in seeing who they are and how much they dropped in prices.

However land prices have gone through the roof and the local developers are increasing their prices significantly and achieving massive results. As I mentioned earlier, several developments aimed at the domestic market sold out within hours of release at much higher prices than what was historically the norm.

J

JMBroad

Well Jim they are not selling at the rate you think and I know every building in Natal and along the coasts,so there you go.If you go all through Natal and the coast you will see properties totally empty.Along the coast prices are the same as completion prices 2 yrs ago as they are not moving and very negotiable.Can you give me some quotes on land prices as you are an expert?
Hi Frank

Well why would I want to offer you for free the months of research I've done into land prices in RN? Personally maybe I'm picky but I've got a thing about doing months of work on a project then giving all that work to someone for free.

Even if I wanted to, I'm not allowed to give you the research I have done on land prices as I am bound to a non-disclosure agreement with the company who pays me good money to do that research. However if you know every building in Natal and along the coasts you should know which areas I'm talking about which have seen prices increase dramatically.

If you know "every building in Natal and along the coasts" then why do you keep asking for information on Ma-Noa and Lagoa do Coelho? I don't know every building in Natal but it does seem that I've done a lot more research than you have?

D

Dotty

Banned
Ref:Manoa and Lagoa do Coelho.The question with Manoa is the developer/s.Are they the same owners as in 2001 and the building appears to not be going ahead as planned having called their number several times in Natal so I was wondering is it another NO,NO.......secondly LDC as we know is in xxxx and I keep reading that all is ok,so as you are the expert I thought that mabe you could help readers and investors.That is all.
Hi Frank

Well why would I want to offer you for free the months of research I've done into land prices in RN? Personally maybe I'm picky but I've got a thing about doing months of work on a project then giving all that work to someone for free.

Even if I wanted to, I'm not allowed to give you the research I have done on land prices as I am bound to a non-disclosure agreement with the company who pays me good money to do that research. However if you know every building in Natal and along the coasts you should know which areas I'm talking about which have seen prices increase dramatically.

If you know "every building in Natal and along the coasts" then why do you keep asking for information on Ma-Noa and Lagoa do Coelho? I don't know every building in Natal but it does seem that I've done a lot more research than you have?

L

LisaNic

Ref:Manoa and Lagoa do Coelho.The question with Manoa is the developer/s.Are they the same owners as in 2001 and the building appears to not be going ahead as planned having called their number several times in Natal so I was wondering is it another NO,NO.......secondly LDC as we know is in xxxx and I keep reading that all is ok,so as you are the expert I thought that mabe you could help readers and investors.That is all.

Ma-Moa is now being developed by promaga. Promaga - Contruimos Futuro

My understanding is that Promaga are still aquiring land title, which would tell us they are not the same owners as in 2001. They do not have the final license as yet as they cant get that until they are official owners of the land!!! If you look on their website, they are still promoting Ma-Noa as Pre-release. This is how Grupo Sanchez went about Gran Natal Golf and we are all well aware of what has happened there, so prospective buyers of Ma-Noa be warned!!!

As for LDC, well all I know about this is the developer. Grupo Nicolas Mateos. GrupoNicolasMateos • Vive tu hogar - Lagoa do Coelho Resort

Thanks

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member

My understanding is that Promaga are still aquiring land title, which would tell us they are not the same owners as in 2001. They do not have the final license as yet as they cant get that until they are official owners of the land!!! If you look on their website, they are still promoting Ma-Noa as Pre-release. This is how Grupo Sanchez went about Gran Natal Golf and we are all well aware of what has happened there, so prospective buyers of Ma-Noa be warned!!!

As for LDC, well all I know about this is the developer. Grupo Nicolas Mateos. GrupoNicolasMateos • Vive tu hogar - Lagoa do Coelho Resort

Thanks
Lisa,

I was talking to one of the owners of Promaga last week and whilst they may have Ma-Noa on their site, it isn't for sale until all the outstanding issues are resolved.

Regards,
Rob.

D

Dotty

Banned
Thanks for that info now I get the picture.There has been some talk on here about another construction by Venturis International .The name of the resort is CORAL BEACH.Does this group have the escritura for the land and have authorization to build or is it a lot development where people purchase the land and then fight to get authorization to build?

Thanks

L

LisaNic

Lisa,

I was talking to one of the owners of Promaga last week and whilst they may have Ma-Noa on their site, it isn't for sale until all the outstanding issues are resolved.

Regards,
Rob.

Hi Rob

It may have now been removed from sale, but it has certainly been for sale previously as we had an exclusive on it at IPW (previous company!) and took quiote a few reservations. We had a full meeting with promaga at the time regarding the project as was quite frankly just lied to by the developers in order for us to promote the project!!! Regrettebly, the clients that have reserved are in a similar situation now to those that have bought at Gran Natal.

Thanks

Lisa

L

LisaNic

Thanks for that info now I get the picture.There has been some talk on here about another construction by Venturis International .The name of the resort is CORAL BEACH.Does this group have the escritura for the land and have authorization to build or is it a lot development where people purchase the land and then fight to get authorization to build?

Sorry Dotty but I dont know this project at all...............if it is something your are looking at as an investment / purchase, please ensure you instruct a lawyer to carry out full die diligence, before parting with any money!!!

Thanks

M

michaelbush

Lisa,

Regards,
Rob.
That is interesting Rob. I wonder why they were exhibiting at the recent show last month in Natal. I asked the question as well if they had their licences. The answer was no and they were only able to take reservations.
Interestingly this land is the same land that Raimundo lost out on, and by coincidence I was at the Madrid show last year 2007, and was talking to some guy who was going on about there being an ownership dispute/problem with the Promaga land at Ma-Noa. Their project is nothing on the scale the GNG LDC ones though. It is actually a good scheme. I hope thes ort out the problems soon.

D

Dotty

Banned
Very interesting and Lisa it is so nice hear somebody write with knowledge and honesty on this sight. Do the investors know the situations they are in or are they just left in the dark.Becasue I am sure other companies took reservations and may not even know the situation.EG The Telegraph was promoting investing in GNG Sunday 13th April .So I am really curious.I understand you are dealing with clients who invested in GNG,but who takes care of the others?
Hi Rob

It may have now been removed from sale, but it has certainly been for sale previously as we had an exclusive on it at IPW (previous company!) and took quiote a few reservations. We had a full meeting with promaga at the time regarding the project as was quite frankly just lied to by the developers in order for us to promote the project!!! Regrettebly, the clients that have reserved are in a similar situation now to those that have bought at Gran Natal.

Thanks

Lisa

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Rob

Thanks

Lisa
Lisa,

It didn't hear that bit! We have sold on a few of their other developments and there have been no problems, and as building is well under or completed they are fully licensed for those developments.

I will bring the Ma-Noa question up next time I talk to the owner(s).

Regards,
Rob.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
That is interesting Rob. I wonder why they were exhibiting at the recent show last month in Natal. I asked the question as well if they had their licences. The answer was no and they were only able to take reservations.
Interestingly this land is the same land that Raimundo lost out on, and by coincidence I was at the Madrid show last year 2007, and was talking to some guy who was going on about there being an ownership dispute/problem with the Promaga land at Ma-Noa. Their project is nothing on the scale the GNG LDC ones though. It is actually a good scheme. I hope thes ort out the problems soon.
I am glad we never sold it then.... I also hope they sort their problems out as they are in a nice spot and owning a water park next door sort of adds to the attraction.