Blindness and stupidity when investing in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

surfingbrazil

Good morning everyone

Reading some of the posts here I must say I am surprised by the degree of stupidity some of these “investors to be” have.
First allow me to introduce myself: comprehensive professional experience in Brazil, 100% fluent in Portuguese, owner of a couple of apartments in Natal RN.

When I see common investors going into “off plan” projects of 25.000 units, 10 resorts or 4 golf courses, all this spiced with new airports, marinas and so on… I am simply shocked.

First of all let us put things into context:

BRAZIL IS NOT A MAJOR TOURIST POWER. In fact, despite the beauty and other real assets of the country, Brazil ranks as no. 33, with arrivals at the level of countries like Sweden or Dominican Rep. No way such complexes are going to be filled (if ever concluded) with golfers and other tourists in a foreseeable future.

BRAZIL HAS A HIGH LEVEL OF CORRUPTION, ranking as no. 62 in a list of 160 countries with a score of 3,7 (no. 1 being the les corrupt, with a score of 10). Certificates, deadlines, advice of lawyers, contracts and justice have a relative value there.

In addition, the level of incompetence and bureaucracy is difficult to imagine for somebody who has not worked there.

Gamblers, be blinded by smart web sites and go on with these science fiction projects.

No Gamblers read this:
do not buy anything just to get a rent, buy an apartment only as a long term investment and only if you like spending holidays in Brazil. You may cover expenses by renting to colleagues and friends, but do not count on it as a part of your budget.
Buy something that exists and can be valued and assessed.
Or, taking a risk, buy “off plan” ( “na planta”) only in major cities carefully selecting the project and only if this aims at Brazilians. Do not believe any mumbo jumbo guaranteeing rental income.

I know what I am saying. Should any need advice in Rio Grande do Norte Natal: varatraza2000 in the gmail.

Good luck

J

JMBroad

Thanks for your input, or should I say obrigadinho por ter aparecido por cá e bemvindo.

Is your comprehensive professional experience in Brazil in the investment or real estate market segment?

What do you call "long term investment"? If you agree on investing in property why only resales? Having a long history of property valuations and knowing how many of them are done in several countries myself, why should investors trust "valuations and assessments" made in one of the countries with the highest corruption levels, according to you? Who will value and assess it for them?

I agree with not believing mumbo jumbo about rentals, but then again I have a habit of not believing any mumbo jumbo, about any topic. If however, I am presented with facts, then I am more likely to believe it. Not all the rental deals and projections out there are "mumbo jumbo".

Status
Not open for further replies.