Be careful with Bulgaria....

thetravelbug

thetravelbug

Banned
There are many problems in Bansko and along the coast. However, nothing to do with living here etc when signing contracts and deeds. None of us expect to get ripped off or have troubles but happens a lot with new developments especially. And if you are buying here you need to be prepared to visit as often as you can.

With regard to original poster - no not normal to sign notary act before complete - are you absolutely sure you signed this at start as that would be very strange.

Rachel

R

rabarbaro

here I am...I never signed a notary deed, for example...I've only signed a Poa to a lawyer, that I paid for.....
They signed the deed in July 2007 when the building was not even in the horizon....

thetravelbug

thetravelbug

Banned
If you gave POA to your lawyer, then they will likely have authority to sign notary ded on your behalf, but this should not have been done until ACT 15 granted at least and better, ACT 16. I doubt they will have signed notary deed before building was built.

Rachel

R

rabarbaro

They did....Georgiev and Todoros, Sofia. Deed signed in July 2007 and act 15 hasn't issued yet...
The builder says they have act 15, as from 14th april 2008 ( 9 months after the deed... ) but still havn't send a copy....

T

Topcat1961

Banned
Agents in Bulgaria

They did....Georgiev and Todoros, Sofia. Deed signed in July 2007 and act 15 hasn't issued yet...
The builder says they have act 15, as from 14th april 2008 ( 9 months after the deed... ) but still havn't send a copy....
Sorry to hear your problems.

I would like to make contact with any members who have been affected directly by unethical practice and intent to mislead, with some of the larger agents in Bulgaria. Particularly ones that are not members of the AIPP, and make it very difficult ie try to silence their customers to have freedom of speech in recounting their experiences. Please contact me in the PM section.

There is power in strength!

thetravelbug

thetravelbug

Banned
why? what do you intend to do with the information? Are you a journalist? Many of us have faced problems with larger developers and agents, usually ones that are members of the AIPP!!!

C

connection

why? what do you intend to do with the information? Are you a journalist? Many of us have faced problems with larger developers and agents, usually ones that are members of the AIPP!!!
can someone please tell me what the AIPP is

thetravelbug

thetravelbug

Banned
Association of International Property Professionals but have no real power to do anything, members can just decide to leave etc...they imposed a 'fine' or something on Bulgarian Dreams but to avoid paying, BD just left the organisation.

R

roythepower

Hallo, I'm buying a property in BUlgaria and things are not as good as it seems....
problems with sqm , prices, language, lawyers...and many more...
if you want I can explain what's going on with me so you can be more careful than me.....
hi
Daniela
I brought in bulgaria and all i am saying is watch out and dont believe what you are told, check everything 10 times. ALWAYS USE A SOLICITOR AND NEVER EVER EVER PAY MONEY UP FRONT FOR ANYTHING, because nothing will ever happen once you have done so, and trying to get something done like your place furnished is harder than getting blood out of a stone. Always get thing written down in a contract and never take anyones word for anything. Every conning tactic is used to try and get your money. I suppose there are honest people over there but i met very few of them.

C

connection

I brought in bulgaria and all i am saying is watch out and dont believe what you are told, check everything 10 times. ALWAYS USE A SOLICITOR AND NEVER EVER EVER PAY MONEY UP FRONT FOR ANYTHING, because nothing will ever happen once you have done so, and trying to get something done like your place furnished is harder than getting blood out of a stone. Always get thing written down in a contract and never take anyones word for anything. Every conning tactic is used to try and get your money. I suppose there are honest people over there but i met very few of them.
I agree that you should get everything written down as it is very hard to even get your lawyer to tell you exactly what your rights are. sometimes though it works two ways and honest Bugarians do work they don't get paid for.I recently paid up front for a surveying job and it really was money well spent.
I have property with one very good developer and one very bad developer.The trouble is who to trust?
Going by experience I would say don't rely on anything the developer says about himself.Look for a forum where GENUINE customers give their opinions of their treatment in previous developments
never allow yourself to be pressured into paying a reservation fee trust me if they say they have only a few properties left,they will soon mysteriously find you another one if you come back a month later.
If this information is too late for you look very closely at your contract, if the development is not licenced forfeit your reservation fee and walk away,believe me I wish I had done that.
If there are no penalties for late completion and no guarentees see what your solicitor thinks (sorry I forgot to mention GET YOURSELF A VERY GOOD SOLICITOR RIGHT AT THE START)
If the developer refuses to put in safeguard clauses again walk away and go out and celebrate having saved a lot of money and your sanity
Finally be aware that Bulgarian law is very different to our own you might be amazed at how easily a big well known developer can hold onto your money
when he is legally in the wrong even by Bulgarian standards, and they use their customers money to pay their solicitors to do this

J

Jain and Chris

roythepower "Every conning tactic is used to try and get your money."

If you talk to reputable lawyers here they will tell you that most (if not all) of their clients have been conned in straightforward and usual ways, which have been practiced in the real estate industry worldwide for many years.

Connection's comment to get yourself a good independent lawyer at the very start is excellent advice.

I was talking to Asja (lawyer) about this only recently. I think she has come to the conclusion that most buyers don't really want to know all that the contract says in nitty gritty terms and so usually just leave it all in the hands of the developer/agent/their lawyers. We both felt that buyers must take the responsibility to check their contracts thoroughly with their own lawyer before signing them and get suitable clauses inserted to protect themselves as buyers. The only time buyers seem particularly interested in what the contract really says is when problems arise. It is best to protect yourself before you sign anything or part with any money not afterwards.

Don't forget as well to ensure that everything is translated by a registered translator for you so that you thoroughly understand everything in detail: best not to rely on a short verbal translation from the agent or developer but get a written stamped translation by a certified translator.

R

roythepower

Hallo, I'm buying a property in BUlgaria and things are not as good as it seems....
problems with sqm , prices, language, lawyers...and many more...
if you want I can explain what's going on with me so you can be more careful than me.....
hi
Daniela
daniella i know its too late but like you i found out the hard way. Never pay anything up front, get your own lawyer not someone the agent reccomends (probably his mate)and get a contract drawn up thathas penalties in it. the first contract they gave me looked like it was drawn up by a child in kindergarden, and i had to almost write my own contract. If i had known what was coming, i would have made it so full of penaltys that i would be rich now. (if i could get the money out of the developer and agent who turns out to be his good mate. I did not do any of these things. But the sig of a man or woman is how you deal with the problem after. You like me did not expect thieving, lying idiots but we know now so from now on we got to do things right, in our interest only

C

connection

roythepower "Every conning tactic is used to try and get your money."

If you talk to reputable lawyers here they will tell you that most (if not all) of their clients have been conned in straightforward and usual ways, which have been practiced in the real estate industry worldwide for many years.

Connection's comment to get yourself a good independent lawyer at the very start is excellent advice.

I was talking to Asja (lawyer) about this only recently. I think she has come to the conclusion that most buyers don't really want to know all that the contract says in nitty gritty terms and so usually just leave it all in the hands of the developer/agent/their lawyers. We both felt that buyers must take the responsibility to check their contracts thoroughly with their own lawyer before signing them and get suitable clauses inserted to protect themselves as buyers. The only time buyers seem particularly interested in what the contract really says is when problems arise. It is best to protect yourself before you sign anything or part with any money not afterwards.

Don't forget as well to ensure that everything is translated by a registered translator for you so that you thoroughly understand everything in detail: best not to rely on a short verbal translation from the agent or developer but get a written stamped translation by a certified translator.
I would like to know where to turn when the lawyers for these companies are acting illegally. Is there any complaints proceedure to be made in Bulgaria and if so who to. Also what is the position on Professional misconduct by a developer operating out of Ireland with an Irish bank account. Also I think a huge representation should be made to the european commission. there are a lot of valid cases out there and I know for sure there are people in my situation who are not aware yet they are being conned

F

Flyerman

I would like to know where to turn when the lawyers for these companies are acting illegally. Is there any complaints proceedure to be made in Bulgaria and if so who to. Also what is the position on Professional misconduct by a developer operating out of Ireland with an Irish bank account. Also I think a huge representation should be made to the european commission. there are a lot of valid cases out there and I know for sure there are people in my situation who are not aware yet they are being conned
Hi, I have read many posts about using a good lawyer. Unfortunately my personal and professional experience, like many others I think, points to the fact that you sometimes need to try and get the skills to manage the lawyers in the first place. Typically this means a bit of work and/or experience.

So it may help some that I put together a guide Ten Tips for Due Diligence in a a series of three blogs on Overseas Real Estate Blog - the first being here. This was not written for Bulgaria specifically but hopefully there is some food for thought here. I would recommend that buyers seriously consider paying more money to use a lawyer in the UK (or your own country) whereby you do get some protection in the form of the Law Society.

part 2 is here
and part 3 is here:

It would be interesting to hear from any forum readers if they know who (which department etc) at the EU is monitoring real estate transactions from a legal perspective. The EU, one would assume, is trying hard to improve the judicial system in Bulgaria. If there is a clear case where there is a clear breach of contract, would they be interested in knowing about instances where the court system is not working? Any experiences of court proceedings in BG, as far as can be revealed legally, would be interesting to share.

Last edited:
thetravelbug

thetravelbug

Banned
More than happy to discuss my disasterous court case here in Bulgaria - total farce.

But to get back to original topic, I have just spent a few days at St Thomas and it is an amazing resort. Good quality, luxurious, tastefully decorated, fantastic pools, lovely beaches.....I stayed a night in the hotel and one in an apartment - both gorgeous.

Restaurant and bars a little expensive but to be expected at 5 star complex.

Anyone buying here will not be disappointed I think. I will get some photos on my blog shortly.

Rachel

R

rabarbaro

Here I am, also back from Saint Thomas. I've bought there and finally is finished !
I paid 100 % of my property, 100 % of my furniture, 100 % of the first year of maintenance fees.
And I've decided to spend few days in the complex, in my apartment.
You are right, the complex is fantastic. Really beautiful....but I couldn t enter in it as the society had rent my property...without my permission !! I'm not kidding..it's true !
Complex is finished, act 15 and 16 issued...but yet the owner ( I know others ) has no possession of their own property...
I stayed there 5 days guest of a friend of mine....and they didn t give me my keys as they say I have a rental contract....
It sounds unbelievable and it is....

R

roythepower

what is the act 15

I have the act 16 but what is the act 15

R

rabarbaro

act15

Don't you worry, if you have act 16 the building has act 15 for sure.
I've bought off plan and I had to pay in full the apartment after act 15 so I know it exists !
Act 16 is issued after act 15, so don't you worry, if you have it it's ok !

R

rabarbaro

It worries me reading that court sentence are a farce....
What do you think I should do regarding my problem ?
I had a rental agreement at the beginning, then they forced to sign a document, an appendix to the contract sayng that our contract was NULL and VOID.
I have a copy of it, signed and stamped by GBS.
I kept asking for my keys and how to take possession of my property and never got an answer.
I've decided to go there and I've been told that our contract was still valid ( why ? ) and that my apartment was rented.
It was not true, I've stayed there 5 days ( guest of a friend ) and my apartment was empty.
They didn t give me my keys, I coulnd enter, not even for 5 minutes !
I also saw the basement, which I paid for, and they are useless ! Humid and wet, totally useless !
I wrote to the lawyer but haven t got an answer yet...
I was happ that the rental agreement was NULL and VOID as it''s not clear and there are problems with it.
Now, after 3 hours flight, 5 hours drive from Sofia, 1 week off my work, I discover I can t
have access to my property...
I know other owners there, English ones, and they are all facing problems !!
Do you think I could sue them or it's useless ? I've bought what if i can t enter ?
Thank you for any suggestions.....