Average build cost?

K

kevinferrin

Hello Michel

As an architect, our experience tell us that you should expect an average price of around 1000-1500 €/sqm and you should use a building company from outise Algarve.

We just had a small constructing built in July in Lagos (around 200 sqm) and the price we were ask in algarve was 3 times more expensive that using a company from Lisbon.

If you have the architecture project finished, include some companies outise Algarve in the tender process.

f_ribeiro
Hi

We also are in the position of getting quotes for the construction of our villa on the Algarve and have found all the quotes far higher than expected and found your comments about using a company from Lisbon very interesting. Can you give us any further information or advice on how to go about sourcing reputable, quality builders from Lisbon?

with thanks, Kevin

K

kevinferrin

Hi

We also are in the position of getting quotes for the construction of our villa on the Algarve and have found all the quotes far higher than expected and found your comments about using a company from Lisbon very interesting. Can you give us any further information or advice on how to go about sourcing reputable, quality builders from Lisbon?

with thanks, Kevin
Thanks for the reply. We have land in Lagos and are looking for a builder to construct our project - any recommendations you can make would be most welcome. The size of the house is 200 m2 with 140 m2 of terrace and 108 m2 cave and 50 m2 circular pool. The plot size is 1090 m2. We are wanting a high quality finish and have had quotes in from 340,000 to 400,000 euros plus IVA. Does this sound reasonable or is it on the high side? Can you tell us if the IVA is on labour cost and materials please?

Thanks again
Kevin

B

Barlavento

Build Costs

We are a Building/Real Estate/Rental company and to be honest the build prices will vary in the area that you are in the Algarve. It shouldn't I know but it does. If you lived in the Quinta da Lago area you will be looking at approx 1500 - 2500 per m2. If you lived more central in the Algarve i.e Albuferia then it will be approx 800 - 1200 and then in the Western Algarve it will be approx 800 - 1200 also and these will be very high quality finishes. If you are saying that it is on a slope then there will be more costs for steel and concrete because of the cave etc.

E

Eagles009

Average Building Cost

Building cost in any place depends upon many factors:

* Land-Owners

* Surrounding Area

* Living Cost

and this is only a matter of time and situation. This is my opinion.

What do u say...

P

Paul Manning

Thanks for the reply. We have land in Lagos and are looking for a builder to construct our project - any recommendations you can make would be most welcome. The size of the house is 200 m2 with 140 m2 of terrace and 108 m2 cave and 50 m2 circular pool. The plot size is 1090 m2. We are wanting a high quality finish and have had quotes in from 340,000 to 400,000 euros plus IVA. Does this sound reasonable or is it on the high side? Can you tell us if the IVA is on labour cost and materials please?

Thanks again
Kevin
I know thsi is a reasonably old post and you may have sourced your solution and builder but this is still useful for new readers of this topic.

We have some friends who had a house built in Central Portugal. Including the 50m3 pool, 4 beds, garage, 4 baths, huge attic, all finishes, LAND purchase and for €200k. The builder has a steady flow of new builds for English clients but this price was from 2006/2007 so it may be a little more costly now. I believe he also has projects in the Algarve.

I also spoke to a lawyer yesterday who explained to me that if your build was over €300k, then you could legally avoid paying IVA so on a €400k build, you could save in the region of €60-70k!!

J

JKort

HI, just building a house in Central Portugal, high finish, modern house. building costs at 700 per m2 ex IVA. That's an average, calculate 1/2 costs per m2 per basement. Traditional build is cheaper. See work of the constructor before you start! Request their licensing and insurances, etc. If you build in a high cost area - Vale d Lobo, etc and go with the 'established' constructors in the area, you have to count with a premium. I suggest to work with a company outside of the Algarve (and not from the Lisbon area). It took us 2,5 years to select the constructor (I guess we are now building at the right time) with costs ranging from more than double. Request at least 3 quotes and I strongly advise to have a local project manager. It's worth the money.

J

JKort

I know thsi is a reasonably old post and you may have sourced your solution and builder but this is still useful for new readers of this topic.

We have some friends who had a house built in Central Portugal. Including the 50m3 pool, 4 beds, garage, 4 baths, huge attic, all finishes, LAND purchase and for €200k. The builder has a steady flow of new builds for English clients but this price was from 2006/2007 so it may be a little more costly now. I believe he also has projects in the Algarve.

I also spoke to a lawyer yesterday who explained to me that if your build was over €300k, then you could legally avoid paying IVA so on a €400k build, you could save in the region of €60-70k!!
Hi Paul, as I said we are currently building a house in central portugal, total building costs really a few cents shy of 300k ex IVA. Can you tell me more about the legal way of avoiding IVA? Many thanks.

G

Golf4Pro

I am not sure if I can make recommendations on this site but I will PM you and anyone else who wants to know.
Hi Paul,

I'm almost ready to build a house in East Algarve and am very intrigued/interested in your way around IVA over €300,000. Can you please let me know how. Greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Dirk

P

Paul Manning

Hi Paul,

I'm almost ready to build a house in East Algarve and am very intrigued/interested in your way around IVA over €300,000. Can you please let me know how. Greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Dirk
Dirk

It is not me that does this. You need to speak to Rui from Overseas on 919 300 160 and he can explain everything. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MarkM

This was a very interesting thread for me as I am currently considering building a single level property in or near Guia in Albufeira.

The posts in the thread end in 2011 and I was wondering what the siruation is now after the bubble has burst.

Are the build costs mentioned higher or lower than they were back in 2007/8 when the financial crisis started in earnest and when of the thread's discussion took place?

Has anyone built in the Albufeira area recently or is anyone in the process of dong so? If so, could you let me know what your experiences have been regarding build costs (both labour and material) and the ease or difficulty in obtaining suitable land and development permissions?

Does the suggestion of sourcing builders from outside the Algarve still hold true?

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
I would be very surprised if building costs have not fallen when you bear in mind the troubles of the last few years. Very few builders will be over flowing with work offers so there may be some deals to be done?

However, I would suggest ensuring that you are covered from a legal and money stand point - stage payments, holding final payments back until you are happy, etc. In summary, deals to be done I think but don't be complaisant.

M

MarkM

I would be very surprised if building costs have not fallen when you bear in mind the troubles of the last few years. Very few builders will be over flowing with work offers so there may be some deals to be done?
That was my thinking but living costs have risen for everyone despite the slowdown. So, there are opposing forces which may have kept the prices level.
It makes you wonder how some people who rely on the building industry are surviving.

If costs have dropped, I guess that would be more noticeable when dealing with builders from north of the Algarve where work is even harder to come by.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
You would certainly think that with crisis of the last couple of years that building costs would have dropped. However here in Cyprus small builders tell me that the cost of materials has risen sharply so the cost per square metre of build is more than before the crisis even if the builders will work for less per hour. It may not be the same in Portugal but it would not surprise me to hear that it is.

The advice to make sure that you have a strong contract paying in stages is wise. Make sure that payments are scheduled for the completion of each stage, not for the beginning. Have an inspection done by an independent engineer at each stage.
This way if the builder does not do a satisfactory job you can sack them and you still have the money for the rest of the build.

If the builder says he needs the money for materials before doing the work drop him as he obviously isn't a good builder.
Decent builders will have accounts at suppliers to purchase materials.

Veronica

A

AustinMcev

An question that always leads to so many different answers. best thing to do is to take the plans of the house and your specifications, bring it to 3 or more builders (check their references) and aks them to count on it. Remember when you compare not only to look on the price. Is IVA included? Look on the total costs such as Pool, lansdscaping, walled or fenced in property, Air cond, alarm, Solar panel etc, etc all this adds up, so the more specifications you have the better. My oppinon about the squaremeter price (only on the house living areas for a high quality) will be minimum €850/m2 + IVA (taxes),cave could be done for €250/m2 and Terraces €170/m2. Remember to check with the Camara what are planned around your plot the next years if there are any? Finally, I do not know if you are in place while the construction is going on, if not you have another problem, to find a person that you can trust your "life" with.
Good Luck
Thanks for guiding me out..Well I am looking to buy my first property and the post details will really help me out..

G

graemechorley

Hi All
I just joined the forum.
I really don't see how these costing per m2 are arrived at.
I've just come back from central Portugal and was quoted 45 euros per day for a builder (recommended) so where is the rest of these sums arrived at????
Graeme