Are we doing our bit for the environment home and away?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi all

We all try to do our bit for the environment when we are at home but what about when we are away??

I thought I would share with you some facts about Sharm and some tips for all of us so we can continue doing ' our little bit '

Sharm has a rather short story compared with the rest of Egypt. Originally Sharm was a remote bedouin fishing village with only the basics for simple living. Over time it has evolved into a thriving resort town with many interntation hotel chains.
Tourism began when adventure seekers started diving safaris.
The 1st hotel was called the caravan hotel , which was really a goup of caravans and tents pitched together on the beach with a genertaor.
The 1st Egyptain building development began in 1982. The Aquamarine was built along with Cliff hotel which is still in existence today. Gradually more Egyptians and foreigners started to settle and Sharm developed at a steady pace. The boom was in the 90's when nearly every known hotel chain started development.

To avoid dehydation in the heat we must drink litres of water. Drinking tap water is not advisable so we are forced to buy water in non biodegradable plastic bottles.
Try refilling smaller bottles from a larger container. If you are a home owner why not invest in a water filter that is attached to your system giving you fresh, safe drinking water at all times.

Sharm has no natural fresh water sources so it is all from the desalination plants. The water however is not from the sea but is from wells in the desert ( this is due to a law passed in Sinai to protect the environment ).The water levels in these wells can sometimes reach 12m. After the process at the plant 2/3rds of what is left is brine and this cannot be discharged into the sea but is used to water plants at the Plant Garden by the airport. They are trying to develop plants and trees that require less watering.

What can we do to protect the resources?
Some are obvious - always turn your taps off, re use your towels to minimise detergent waste. Place a bucket under your air con unit and use it to water your plants.

When the winter approaches the searing heat drops. Use fans as a healthier, cheaper alternative to AC. Walk to your destination enjoying the fresh air and ignoring those taxi drivers.

Please dont litter - it really is heart breaking to see litter blown around and in the sea killing the marine life. Whether you are on a boat or on land hold onto your litter and dont put loo roll down the boat loo.

Flies - hold back on the spray and try planting some basil outside your window or put some sprigs in water they hate the smell.

So if you are living, working or visiting Sharm lets help mke it more environmentally friendly.

Thanks

Queenie

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Good advice Queenie; we should all do our bit to preserve the environment, whether at home or on holiday. My wife smiled at your use of basil to keep away flies. Living in Spain our garden is full of basil; we use it all the time in cooking and it certainly discourages flies! Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

queenie40something

queenie40something

every little helps including the basil I see.

Same to you and your family Peter.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Do the government in Egypt encourage recycling? How often are bins collected? In Spain we have a daily collection 6 days a week. It amazes me that in the UK you pay 10 times as much for the service and get a collection once a fortnight!

D

dave99

Not seen anything green yet

Not seen anything green yet.

Rubbish in central Hurghada is collected everyday, and guys clean the street after a fashion.

D

dave99

LOW energy lightbulbs

It would certainly help if we all did a little to help the environment,I think a lot of people including myself just don't realise the implications future generations will face.
Recycling and low energy goods are a good start however more does need to be done for sure.
LOW energy lightbulbs are in evidence in most Hurghada shops - only problem is that they use about 5 times as many as they need just to create an ultra bright shopping area.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

It did occur to me that Egypt would have solar panels everywhere as the 'sun shines every day'. However, with electricity being relatively cheap the cost of installation of solar would probably be prohibitive in terms of return on investment. Any other views on this?

D

dave99

wind power seems best

It did occur to me that Egypt would have solar panels everywhere as the 'sun shines every day'. However, with electricity being relatively cheap the cost of installation of solar would probably be prohibitive in terms of return on investment. Any other views on this?
wind power seems best - seen some solar panels on new hotels but not apartments yet . strange really since its very common in greece etc.

D

dave99

Need to have the space planned

Need to have the space planned - but if the roof is already allocated then it will be a problem.

D

dave99

Have too pointing inwards

I have the roof terrace above mine could be a good lifetime rental income here don't you think LOL?.
Have two panels pointing inwards should give you a great tan and some free hot water.