Are loft conversions really worth the money?

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
We would be interested to hear from anybody who has carried out a loft conversion. Was it worth the money or did you not see the uplift in value that you had expected?

I have heard a number of so-called experts suggesting that loft conversions were in many cases not worth the money.

Regards,

Mark

George79

George79

I heard that loft conversion is a good thing to do, especially in the area of London. Also, I have watched a video on YouTube where owner of City Lofts London speaks about that. I'm very sorry that I cannot find it now :/

N

nmb

Has anybody seen the value of their property rise significantly after a loft conversion? I have read on numerous occasions about loft conversions which have been value neutral in the short term but potentially more value in the longer term.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

While it would obviously depend upon the cost of your loft conversion, surely this can only be a positive going forward? Even if the investment is "cash return neutral" it would make your property more attractive to potential buyers in the future and you would at least get your money back on your loft conversion. Or am I missing the point?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
If you need more space it is often less costly to convert your loft than to move to a larger house.
As families grow the family home can become cramped and adding that extra usable space is a perfect solution. Also loft conversions can be great as a home office for anyone who works from home as many people do these days.

N

nmb

You make some great points there Veronica, especially the one about office space. As more and more people now look to work online this is going to be more prominent in the future. Surely this must add value to the property?