Anyone want a House?

J

joesher

In 2008 after much searching, we found an ideal holiday home in a small town called Mula in the province of Murcia. It was a simple town, but pretty and dominated by a fine medieval castle. The town was an hour's drive from the beach, half an hour from the city of Murcia and surrounded by lovely countryside.
The house itself was up a steep footpath and could not be reached by car, but in other ways was ideal. It had wonderful views over the town to the mountains beyond and looking up from the two terraces had stunning views of the castle.
The original house had consisted of 2 caves built into the hillside, but to those had been added a large living room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom in conventional brick. We bought if as a shell for €40,000, and over the next couple of years together with a local builder we hauled up the hill a huge amount of building material, fittings and furniture to restore it to a habitable condition at a cost of about €20,000. If you want to see how it looked then see www wix com/joesher/mula
Then the problems started. First the electric supply cable was stolen (for its scrap value presumably) just before we were about to visit and had to be restored by the local electricity company for €600.
The next time we visited we could see as soon as we arrived that a window had been forced and that the fridge and a few other items had been taken. However we realised that the window had only been protected by a metal mesh and we had new bars put on and replaced the missing items.
A few months later we got a call from our builder who was keeping an eye on the place and he told us that the bars on another window had been sawn through, and a lot of stuff had been taken including the washing machine, water heater, built in oven and hob as well as lots of other stuff.
At this point we decided to give up. There was nothing else worth stealing so we had the window bars put back and put the place on the market for €35000. Then followed further events
A hole was broken in the flat roof and bathroom fittings taken including the loo. The hole was repaired.
A few months later the locked steel front door and most of the window bars were ripped off and taken for their scrap value. We reduced the price to €10,000 and found a lady who was interested and without prompting from me this lady had new bars put on the windows and doors. Needless to say these were soon removed and she understandably lost interest.
By now, everything including all furniture and fittings had been removed. I decided to have all the doors and windows bricked up with reinforced blocks and leave the whole thing until the market improved! Clearly I had underestimated these people as the last I heard they had smashed a hole in the wall and the house seems to be being used as a combination of a toilet and a hideout for druggies.
The local police must be on another planet. The neighbours clearly don't care as all the stolen goods would have to have been carried down the hill past their houses, and the noise of smashing down walls and a steel door must have been tremendous. I suspect they were probably related to the thieves.
To top it all the Spanish government claim that to avoid taxes I must not have paid the full price when I bought it in 2008, and emptied my bank account. I still supposedly owe them about €2000.
Anyone got any ideas? Anyone want a house?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
This is the very reason we chose Cyprus instead of Spain after my sister who had lived in Spain for several years left it because of the high crime rate.
Despite bars at all door and windows and 3 very large dogs they got robbed 3 times in a short space of time and everything of any value was taken.
Luckily they were renting so leaving was no problem.

The crime rate in Cyprus is still the lowest in Europe.

T

tonymar

In 2008 after much searching, we found an ideal holiday home in a small town called Mula in the province of Murcia. It was a simple town, but pretty and dominated by a fine medieval castle. The town was an hour's drive from the beach, half an hour from the city of Murcia and surrounded by lovely countryside.
The house itself was up a steep footpath and could not be reached by car, but in other ways was ideal. It had wonderful views over the town to the mountains beyond and looking up from the two terraces had stunning views of the castle.
The original house had consisted of 2 caves built into the hillside, but to those had been added a large living room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom in conventional brick. We bought if as a shell for €40,000, and over the next couple of years together with a local builder we hauled up the hill a huge amount of building material, fittings and furniture to restore it to a habitable condition at a cost of about €20,000. If you want to see how it looked then see www wix com/joesher/mula
Then the problems started. First the electric supply cable was stolen (for its scrap value presumably) just before we were about to visit and had to be restored by the local electricity company for €600.
The next time we visited we could see as soon as we arrived that a window had been forced and that the fridge and a few other items had been taken. However we realised that the window had only been protected by a metal mesh and we had new bars put on and replaced the missing items.
A few months later we got a call from our builder who was keeping an eye on the place and he told us that the bars on another window had been sawn through, and a lot of stuff had been taken including the washing machine, water heater, built in oven and hob as well as lots of other stuff.
At this point we decided to give up. There was nothing else worth stealing so we had the window bars put back and put the place on the market for €35000. Then followed further events
A hole was broken in the flat roof and bathroom fittings taken including the loo. The hole was repaired.
A few months later the locked steel front door and most of the window bars were ripped off and taken for their scrap value. We reduced the price to €10,000 and found a lady who was interested and without prompting from me this lady had new bars put on the windows and doors. Needless to say these were soon removed and she understandably lost interest.
By now, everything including all furniture and fittings had been removed. I decided to have all the doors and windows bricked up with reinforced blocks and leave the whole thing until the market improved! Clearly I had underestimated these people as the last I heard they had smashed a hole in the wall and the house seems to be being used as a combination of a toilet and a hideout for druggies.
The local police must be on another planet. The neighbours clearly don't care as all the stolen goods would have to have been carried down the hill past their houses, and the noise of smashing down walls and a steel door must have been tremendous. I suspect they were probably related to the thieves.
To top it all the Spanish government claim that to avoid taxes I must not have paid the full price when I bought it in 2008, and emptied my bank account. I still supposedly owe them about €2000.
Anyone got any ideas? Anyone want a house?
Sorry to hear about your bad luck , that is enough to put you off Spain for good !

I some times do think certain people here in Spain think all British are rich and fair game to rip off , such a shame !!

Fortunately we have never encountered similar problems in our area ,

High crime is not every where in Spain and I guess you have just been unlucky and picked a bit of a problem area .

Hope you do eventually manage to sell in the future

Good Luck

Tony Alicante

T

tonymar

This is the very reason we chose Cyprus instead of Spain after my sister who had lived in Spain for several years left it because of the high crime rate.
Despite bars at all door and windows and 3 very large dogs they got robbed 3 times in a short space of time and everything of any value was taken.
Luckily they were renting so leaving was no problem.

The crime rate in Cyprus is still the lowest in Europe.
My auntie used to live in Cyprus , she really liked it there , but had to return to the Uk
when her husband got seriously ill and the had problems with medical care there .

Would like to visit Cyprus one day as I have never been , I hear the locals are very friendly !!

Tony Agost Alicante Spain

B

Barny

My in-laws live in Cyprus and on various visits we've got to know a lot of their friends who also live there and even in Cyprus in the more remote areas there is still similar crime.

While their villa sat empty prior to them moving in they had their electricity meter and all wiring removed. Some friends of theirs had solar panels stolen from their garden and another couple even had their full pool generator, cleaning materials and all pool side furniture stolen. There is crime everywhere unfortunately but some places, such as the example in the opening post, are worse than others.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
In the past few years crime has risen here due to the number of Eastern Europeans who are out of work here. However the crime rate in general is still much lower than many other countries and we still feel very safe here.
Many of the Eastern Europeans are now leaving as jobs are not easy to find these days so hopefully in the future crime will go down again.:smile:

T

tonymar

Hi Veronica,

Yes it is similar here , but we must remember not all eastern europeans are criminals !

Many are hard working and honest

but I know what you mean

Ps I noticed solar water heating is very popular in Cyprus and Grease , it ia a shame it is used so little here in Spain , and we have so much sun shine !

Cheers Tony

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
I agree Tony, there are many hard working Eastern Europeans and we have several very good friends from the Eastern Europe EU countries. However since the economic 'crisis' here in Cyprus many Eastern European and Asian workers found themselves without work due to the slow down in construction and the closure of many restaurants and bars. The Asian workers simply went back home as their visas were not renewed, but many Eu citizens have stayed and once they had sold everything of value they have they often turn to burglary especially if they have young families to feed as there is no help from the government for them.
:(

Veronica

T

tonymar

I Dont think there is much help for them or any one in fact here in Spain

Guess thats why so many head for the UK !
I would probably too if in the same position

Any way whats the weather like there today its crap here , cold and wet , even got the fire on !!

Tony Agost Alicante

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Lovely weather here. Havn't had a fire on for weeks, out and about in T shirts.:smile:

T

tonymar

Lovely weather here. Havn't had a fire on for weeks, out and about in T shirts.:smile:
We did have good weather but its now changed ,

Glad to here it is nice in Cyprus !

How are property sales there ? it is just starting again here but mainly bargain price property - people know it is a buyers market and can offer low prices !!

Tony Agost Alicante

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Exactly the same here Tony. A lot more buyers around but all looking for bargains and being quite cutthroat.

J

junujinnie

Crimes in Spain has decreased significantly. Yes it was very much last year but now it is safe to live in Spain.