Anyone Looked at Other Countries in South America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PeixeGato

I know this question deals with locations other than Brazil, but I couldn't find any other place to start this thread.

I know a lot of people are big on Brazil (particularly NE Brazil) right now. Has anyone done any research on other places in South America?

Chile - There are many world class ski resorts, anyone looked at property there? There is also Vina del Mar/Valparaiso which is a vibrant beach community about an hour from Santiago.

Uruguay - Montevideo (big city),Colonia (quaint small town) or Punta del Este (beach resort community)

Argentina - BA (big city),ski resort areas, Mar del Plata (beach resort community),or Mendoza/San Rafael/San Juan wine country regions

Just curious if anyone has any insight on these locations as they might be in even earlier stages of investment opportunity. Then again, maybe I've missed the boat on them.

Thanks.

Greg

P

PeixeGato

OK. So with 36 views and no replies, am I to take it that nobody is looking at anyplace other than NE Brazil for investment opportunities in South America?

Greg

D

Dr William Locks

Take a look at Panama , plenty of reason to invest.. restored panamaian democracy in 2000, expansion of channel , tax benefits for retireres... great climate , dollar currency, English and Spanish language ... US , Canadian, Columbian and Venezuelan investing

KR

Bill

M

mitico67

I'm flying at the end of October to Margarita Island in venezuela. On paper the place is nice very cheap and got infrastructers. My venezuelan friend will be with me to show me around. Chavez may be a problem in term of investment...

P

PeixeGato

Yes, Chavez is the BIG wild card. Let us know what you find.

greg

E

EM Concepts

I was in Panama City the week before last checking out the market. Seems like a great city but with a lot of consutruction going on. Is there the demand to meet the supply ? We believe there is if you choose the right projects. I spoke to a number of local agents who showed me that people are renting standard 2 bedroom apartments in Panama City at the moment for $3000 per month. We are offering apartments in what will be the tallest residential building in the world, for $300,000. The yield is already there. That plus the fact that we pay 6% interest on any deposit payment and with the prices rising fast makes investing in the right location at the right time key. There are a lot of buildings going up so choose the right one and think about who will be renting off you and who you can resell to. If you need any more information or want details of what we can offer please let me know.

K

KDJX

I'm flying at the end of October to Margarita Island in venezuela. On paper the place is nice very cheap and got infrastructers. My venezuelan friend will be with me to show me around. Chavez may be a problem in term of investment...
I have bought at the la Ensenada development which is under construction. Currently the two bed townhouses are at $103K. It's a big development with all the facilites on site aimed mostly at the American tourist market so the standard needs to be spot on.
Just after I bought they announced the building of a new Formula 1 track a few miles away which is good I think.... except that its creating a few labour supply problems.
Margarita is worth a look and being the most southerly Caribbean island it is supposedly south of the hurricane belt....I hope !!

K

D

deedee1

:)Hi all,

Looked in depth at margarita last year and almost bought on la ensenada at the time!!

But at that point full planning condsent was not granted so I hesitated and pulled out!!

Wish I hadent done- But whats done is done!!

The only real issues with maragrita is definately be careful seek good independant legal advice!
Be careful in the areas that you choose and do some research yourself!!

Unfortunately chavez is a bit of a risk factor as he changes his mind from one day to the next without any notice!! So politically it could be challeging!!

But apart from that all looks good there- lots of investments going in , infrastructure, golf courses, formula 1 track etc!!

Capital appreciation been really good last few years average about 20-30% pa
And rental potential should be good aswell!!
Take care-D

S

Sunnyshores

Hi Greg,
I've just spotted this thread on my reserarch for Uruguay. I'm very keen on Brazil and have brought some land there, but cant find anything else at present, so am researching Uruguay.

This interest started when I saw a couple of copies of the American magazine International Living - albeit primarily for Americans wanting to retire abroad, rather than invest.

For the past 5 years they have been advocating Panama as the best location for Americans to retire (quality of life, finance, healthcare etc),which apparently loads have and prices have trebled in some areas there (my independent research confirms this).

Anyway, this year they are raging about Uruguay, in particular Montevideo. My very initial research shows it to be affordable and an arcitecturally beautiful city. They also say Americans are investing in Argentina where they can no longer afford Panama.

Anyone else interested in Uruguay?

D

deedee1

:)Hi all,

Try looking at nicargua as this looks to become a very interesting market and things are slowly starting to happen over there also!!

Take care-D

P

PeixeGato

Hye there Sunnyshores,

I had considered Uruguay (both the city location of Montevideo and the beach location of Punta del Este). Prices look even better than Brazil and Argentina. I just wonder about tourism draw. If I am investing to generate cash flow, what kind of occupancy can I expect. Does anyone know of a good source for this type of info?

I have been to Colonia, and even considered investing there. But that town feels a bit too small. Also, I did a search for vacation rentals in Uruguay and had a hard time coming up with anything. This makes me wonder just how much of a demand there is for vacation rentals in Uruguay.

I'll keep looking though!

Greg

S

Sunnyshores

Hi Greg,
Were you just looking at foreigners renting 'vacation' homes in Uruguay or Uruguian tourists ?

What I'm keen on at present is looking for properties that appeal to the local market for residential letting - like traditional Buy To Lets in the UK - these growing economies have expanding middle classes and I'd like to aim at them.

I do have a few holiday homes abroad, but its quite hard going finding competent local managers, many tenants from many countries, all wanting something slightly different, different languages, currencies . . . I'd never do holiday lets in the UK, so I dont know why I thought holiday lets abroad was going to be OK!!

I figure that one type of tenant ie a local Uruguan family that stays for a few years, has to be easier. Anyway, thats the plan. Montevideo fits this scenario quite well, so thats where I'm concentrating.

I'm going to start a new thread for just Uruguay (in emerging property markets),perhaps we (and anyone else) can post any updates and info on there.
http://www.totallyproperty.com/new-emerging-property-markets/4934-uruguay-anyone.html

Last edited:
P

PeixeGato

I am actually looking at short term rentals to either locals or foreign travelers. My main concern with local long-term rentals is the ability to have someone who isn't paying removed. I've heard/read that in many countries, it can take years to get rid of a non-paying long-term tenant (this is what I've heard in Argentina). As a result, many people are only renting out their units on a weekly or monthly basis with the max term being 6 months (I think the tenant gets certain rights if they are in the unit for more than 6 consecutive months).

I don't know what that laws in Uruguay are, so its definitely something to look into and consider. I also think you get more money when you rent short term.

I'll be sure to check out the thread you start.

Greg

M

mamanguapemamma

Other in South America

Hi
We are really keen on Brazil and have invested a little so far, but we are also researching Uruguay, Chile and Argentina, they all have their own benefits, so it has to be very much a personal preference but it is always well worth doing some digging, you never know what you might come across. Something I always feel worth bearing in mind is - only buy something you like and could live in and you can't go far wrong. Look forward to hearing more on your research into these other countries and will post more on mine in due course.:)

M

MarikaAR

The other markets in LatAm that is doing well is Argenita, Mexico and Panama.

Nicaragua is not a bad suggestion at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.