anyone-bought-sharm-thinking-buying-sharm

Status
Not open for further replies.
queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Jojo - to my knowledge there are no members that have bought on Viva Reef. I think you will find the reason for the price differences are alot of agents show the pre release prices and also because it is off plan prices go up as often as every 3 months and they dont update their websites.
I think it is being built up the far end of Nabq ( Mangrovy end ) by the new golf course that is being built.

J

jojo

maintnenance fees

I have been enquiring into the viva reef development in nabq bay ut one thing i didn't find information about anywhere was about maintenance fees associated with developments. I was informed by an agent today that they advertise the maintenance fees that apply for the 1st year of construction not for after the property is ready, this apparently goes to approximately 8-10% of the property price once the apartment is released and ready to use. the property we are interested in is £45000 so with this in mind we could pay up to £4500 every year to have the lawns mowed! the agent says this is a standard rate in egypt is this true? has anyone experienced this hike in maintenance fees as its a lot of money to find every year and it is seriously putting me off buying now.
jojo:confused:

J

jojo

all is well it has been clarified by the agent that the increase is 10% of the 1% maintenance fees not 10% of the property price! phew!
jo

J

jojo

information needed

Well its all systems go, we've booked a last minute deal going to naama next tuesday 22nd. The plan is to go and have a look at some of the developments out there at the moment in particular the Viva Reef in Nabq bay.

What we do need is checklist of things to look out for when we view the developments, potential good points and bad points etc.

What type of questions should we be asking from the agents / developers.

What is the best way to go about finding the best deal for us as we are only there for 4 nights but want to fit one day of diving whilst we're there...be a shame to miss out!

So any advice is gladly welcomed to help us find our sharm dream! if there is anyone who will be out in Sharm when we are it would be nice to meet up for a drink and chat aout the buying process.

Thanks jo

L

Lsab

Well thanks goodness for that! I did think there was something wrong with those figures but as I didn't know for sure I kept quiet!!!

J

jojo

yeah was very releived myself! i spoke to 2 seperate agents who told me about the possible 10% maintenance rise and both indicated it was 10% of the property price it was only when i said that it would be £4500 per year that i got a reply showing me the breakdown of the maintenance fees over 10 years showing 10% of the inital 1% maintenance fee. a slight misunderstanding that near;y put me off altogether. now im just really excited to get out there and start looking!
yes its a shame i'll cross airspace with alison it would be nice to have met up with somebody

L

Lsab

I may be wrong - and I'm sure he'll put me right if so - but I think Iant is going out there soon.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi JoJo - sorry we are going to miss each other. It is boiling at the moment and some days have been 45 degrees. Hope all goes well for you xx

J

jojo

thanks alison, i better get the high factor out! as long as the beer is cold and the sea is as beautiful as i remember im sure we'll enjoy ourselves, even if it is just for 4 nights. just hope we find what were looking for.
jo

J

jojo

buying update
well all went went well in egypt, we put a deposit down on the viva reef development in nabq bay on a 2 bed apt. we are now at the first 40% deposit stage and looking over contracts. so any advice about things to look out for in the contracts and good things to add would be useful for us. i have to say we are so excited about buying in sharm but were at the start of a 2 year process i hope it goes quickly!
jo

H

hannah

looking for a fat in Sharm El Sheik

helo every one,
i am looking for 1 bed flat in sham-al-sheikh does any1 knows what sort of price is good price for 1 bed room appartment.
ur help will be much appriciated.

thank u

queenie40something

queenie40something

helo every one,
i am looking for 1 bed flat in sham-al-sheikh does any1 knows what sort of price is good price for 1 bed room appartment.
ur help will be much appriciated.

thank u
Hi Hannah - I have moved your thread into this existing one on Sharm.

Prices do vary. Hadaba is a fairly cheap area ( 2 bed for under £30,000 ) but most for sale dont have use of a pool. Naama is getting quite expensive.
I have put some info here http://www.totallyproperty.com/egypt-property/8933-resales.html

I and quite alot of other forum members have bought off plan on Sierra in Nabq. I bought last year for £21,700 and I have heard one that has been re sold for £47,000!! They have some off plan still for sale from just over £30,000 - there is lots of pics and vids here http://www.totallyproperty.com/egypt-property/5219-sierra-resort-nabq-pictures-info-updates-36.html ( this page onwards is the new pics I took very recently )

Someone is privately selling a 1 bedroom on Sunny Village which is a stones throw from Sierra and next to Jasmine Mall fully furnished for £28,000 and a furnished 2 bedroom for £45,000 - both are ready now. Someone else is privately selling a furnished 2 bed for £55,000. I have pics if you want to see them and more details.

I hope this gives you an idea of what you can get for your money. If you need to know anything please post and I and others will try to answer.

Alison

The View is a new off plan development and prices start from £31,000 but wont be ready until at least 2010. When they give a date for off plan they very rarely are on time and you can in most cases add on another yr.

queenie40something

queenie40something

buying update
well all went went well in egypt, we put a deposit down on the viva reef development in nabq bay on a 2 bed apt. we are now at the first 40% deposit stage and looking over contracts. so any advice about things to look out for in the contracts and good things to add would be useful for us. i have to say we are so excited about buying in sharm but were at the start of a 2 year process i hope it goes quickly!
jo
Hi Jo thats fantastic - congratulations. I know someone else called Debbie that has just been and bought there as well. I will get her to join the forum and you can share experiances. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to start a new thread on Viva where you can keep in touch with feloow buyers and can all post updates and pics as the development progresses.

There is a thread on contracts see http://www.totallyproperty.com/egypt-property/7566-contracts-whats-them-info-what-do-late-handover-etc.html and I would suggest you post any questions about the contract in that thread as more members will probably answer.

Good luck for the future

Alison

S

sharmcliff resident

From "The Sinaiweekly" magazine: The Sharmcliff....Horror

From "The Sinaiweekly", paper issue n. 38 of the 1st Sept.

Attachments

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi - I have deleted your link as it was linked to other forums which is against TP rules. For every horror story there is a happy ending. I am in Sharm in my apartment very happy and dont want to go home. I as most on this forum researched the developer thoroughly etc. Yours has been on going since 2005. Your lawyers dont seem to have done alot for you. Did you buy in 2005 freehold??

S

sharmcliff resident

Sharmcliff

Dear queenie40something,
actually the links were not to Forum but one direct to our website where we published the text of the article (in case somebody is interested to read it) and the other one to the web-site of the magazine Sinaiweekly.

Our lawyer is doing two Court cases for us but will take long time. In August the Court was close and now with Ramadan will not happen much. So we need time and wait. But in the mean time we are suffering and struggling every day. Is not our holiday house but we all live and work in Sharm. Is not really pleasant to go home every day after a tiring working day asking yourself what will happen today...?. there will be water....?

No, we did not by freehold as the contracts was sign between the end of 2005 - mid 2006, after the new low.

We do agree that there are many positive examples where developers kept their promises and delivered services to the highest standards, but there are also many who did not.

After you have read the article (if you have time),try to put yourself in our place, what would you do?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi I read the article the other day in the mag that I picked up from the supermarket. Im sure the link(s) had a forum in it. If you can pm me the links I will double check for you and if there is not then it will be ok for you to post again.

Apologies if there was no forum x

iain

iain

A very sad story indeed, my heart goes out to those caught up in such situations.

I think that the low prices (from a European perspective) available in Egypt come with a higher risk than elsewhere. It is so attractive to buy a one bedroomed appt for, say, GBP 25,000 that it is easy to get caught up in a quick purchase without taking the kind of precautions you might otherwise consider normal. Think of the searches, surveys and so on done in the UK when buying a house and yet some just sign up when they have seen a well presented glossy brochure.

So good advice at the end of the article, getting a good lawyer, join forums and listen to what people say (and sometime what they don't say) - go out there and look at your potential purchase even if it's just the foundations.

Also, do not trust somebody just because they are fellow countrymen - we have all heard of the timeshare scams in Spain and other countries, it's quite possible some of these people move on to new territory when they get moved on or find the going a bit too hot. You do not automatically get protection because the agent or whatever is a Brit/German whatever.

In fact we have been lucky - touch wood - and have dealt only with Eyptians and whilst accepting that deadline promises are often (perhaps always!) optimistic, if you keep nudging gently you should get there in the end.

Allow contingency in your investment for at least a couple of trips out and probably a few unexpected costs. It will still be a great investment when finished.

Above all try to talk to as many people as you can, locally, on forums and so on - at least if all goes wrong they may be able to help you out a little, and its much better to be able to talk these problems over.

This forum was a fantastic source of info for us and gave us a little bit more confidence when going through the process - even then it was 50% luck and 50% good judgement in the end.

Iain

W

welsh janet

Good Afternoon, after reading about your problem at Sharm Cliff, I really do sympathise as i to have had the headache off dealing with a developer who does not know how to keep a promise to a customer.
The developement in queston is Gold Sharm, is there anyone else out there who has had any similar experiences with this developer?

Status
Not open for further replies.