Any good books for Overseas Rentals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jessicatam

jessicatam

I live in the UK, but want to expand my portfolio to overseas properties. I was thinking the USA (because my long term goal is to move over there),or Germany (because I travel a lot there for work).

Are there any good books that cover the pitfalls of being a long-distance landlord, or is it a case of just reading up on the laws for each country, and trying to work through English speaking agents / relying on word of mouth recommendations for areas, etc.

Thanks.

O

oregon woodsmoke

It's not a bad time to buy in the USA. Prices are down and some sellers are accepting low offers. The exchange rate is still good.

The very best place to get information about rentals and investing in the USA are the real estate forums that are specifically for American investors: Mr Landlord, Bigger Pockets, REI Club, etc. That's where you get advice from the people who are in the trenches and really doing the investing and rentals.

My suggestion is that if you intend to live in The States, is to invest in the area where you want to eventually live.

jessicatam

jessicatam

Thanks for the recommendation.

I was considering either Maine or near the airport area of LA for moving to (beacause I have friends in those areas) - I don't know much about them economically though.

Status
Not open for further replies.