Another internet cable cut

Georgina

Georgina

Three fiber link undersea cables running between Europe and Egypt and providing most of the connectivity for the Middle East, Africa, parts of India and beyond were cut yesterday. We have had problems connecting to the internet since yesterday here in Egypt.

A

Advanced Media Inspections

Hi Georgina, yep i experienced similar problems affecting my buisness emails too ;( Seems to be back on just this moment.

Andy

N

nubianqueen

shokran georgina

i wondered saw this on the news and everything seems to be quite the egyptian end for me

p.s. i am sure i have lots of questions for you but i am in the hurghada village nightmare at the moment and just want to stay out of it all and see how it pans out!

nubianqueen

Georgina

Georgina

My USB modem from Etisalat seems to be working OK now.

From the BBC:

Repairs begin on undersea cable

A French crew has begun to repair two undersea cables in the Mediterranean that were
severed on Friday, disrupting internet and phone communications.

A robot submarine will locate the ends of the cables on the sea bed and bring them to the
surface to be re-connected.

They were cut somewhere between Sicily and Tunisia, probably by an anchor.

Egypt says it has been able to restore most of its communications by re-routing services,
but other parts of the Middle East remain badly affected.

Experts have warned that it may be days before the fault is fixed and that the knock-on
effect could have serious repercussions on regional economies.

Lengthy process

Experts from France Telecom Marine arrived at the site of the damage to the SEA-ME-
WE4 and SEA-ME-WE3 lines on board the cable ship, Raymond Croze, at 1330 GMT on
Sunday, spokesman Louis-Michel Aymard said.

They then sent a remotely-operated submarine robot called "Hector" to the sea bed to
begin the search for the two ends of each line.

It is unclear how long it will take, as a ship anchor could have dragged them several
kilometres from their normal positions.

Once located, the cable ends will be brought to the surface by the robot and repairs will
be carried out in a special facility on the ship - a process that could take days.

"We have to fix the cable fibre by fibre, and it's a very huge cable," Mr Aymard told the
Associated Press.

France Telecom said it expected to repair SEA-ME-WE4 by 25 December and SEA-ME-WE3
by the end of the year.

The third line believed to have been severed in the same incident, FLAG, is not operated
by the same consortium and will be repaired by another ship.

Earlier this year, the same line was damaged off Egypt's Mediterranean coast, severely
disrupting internet and phone communications for many in the Middle East for days,
although only two lines were snapped then.

A

Ahmed Abouraia

serious and logical question ,

why the internet still running in Isreal without and damages?

why the cut affect all the middle east countires exept Isreal ?

G

GM43

Banned
According to this website: Almasry Alyoum it was because of an earthquake.
According to this website: Earthquake Locator: Mapping Interface there was an earthquake, but on WEDNESDAY, 2 days before the cables were cut.

I think it was because they didn't pay the bill, because (although the cables are still not repaired) I can download again at my maximum download speed!