Algarve property machines

GRAPEVINE

GRAPEVINE

In recent months, after sharing some beers and lunches with worried developers and builders I know, the following scenarios were played out to me of what has been the Property playing field in the Algarve for the last few years, which I am sure does not differ much from any other Euro Holiday Destination.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong in putting together their experiences.

We had the birth of the Inspection Trip “MACHINES”, what a wonderful way to buy investment property in the sun, practically free flights, top notch hotels, wonderful food and drink for the entire trip and driven around the entire region you picked in a top end luxury car, etc, etc, etc. Brilliant!!

We now know who paid for all this , yes, it was the property buyer, who overpaid in the early days 5% over original developer/builders price list as the standard commissions practiced had been no more than 5%, this additional 5% was lumped onto the price list and guess what? They sold like hot cakes!, some developments of over a 100 apartments, sold out in a matter of weeks.

So, second phase, these amazed developers/builders quickly looked for a new project to develop, land suddenly became very expensive (everyone heard of the success of sales, even with astronomical commissions) but the developers did not worry too much that the purchase of new land was more expensive, they had proof that whatever the cost they could simply work it into the final price list and again guess what, these also sold like hot cakes, so, Phase three was a repeat of phase two with one exception, the “MACHINES” now started to demand more than the 10% commission, as much as 15% was put in place, TOGETHER with the developer/builder having increased their margins too, hey! If it worked for the “MACHINES” it would work for them too!

Result, the buyers during the last 12 months before the collapse of the “MACHINES” paid so much over the real value that they will now have to keep the property for over a decade before they can sell at break even prices.

I won’t even go into the Rental scenarios that were presented to these buyers to “PROVE” how their loans would be covered and a few quid extra would remain to cover your holiday costs, like I said, I won’t even go there!

So!, what are we left with?

Thousands of property owners who completed and now have to wait many years before selling so as not to lose their money, find money to pay the loan that is not being covered by rentals and basically going through a really tough time!!
We also have the Phase three buyers who bought off plan, paid the promissory contract amount (which could never be less than 20% as the “MACHINE” had to be fully paid at this time, (Portuguese standard tradition is 50% on Promissory and 50% at final deed)

Now many of these buyers find their property is ready for completion (if they are lucky) and surprise, surprise!!, bank valuation for their loans now are WAY below the original purchase price.

This results in many simply walking away and losing their 20-30% deposits.
This leaves the Developer/builder with a property which WAS sold and now isn’t BUT he did keep the deposit, or at least the part remaining after deducting the “MACHINES” percentage which he had to pay at the time of the promissory contract.

We now have very worried developers/builders with many units previously sold now back requiring to be resold, and there are no buyers!!

This scenario has given birth to the BELOW MARKET VALUE “BMV MACHINES”.

The “BMV MACHINE” can give you amazing deals.
No Personal money down property investing.
Cash back at deed, in other words, you buy a property with NO PERSONAL money AND you still get THOUSANDS given to you at the deed.
Oh!, by the way this also rides on the back of incredible rental figures that once again cover your mortgage.

The less desperate developer/builder is keeping well away from these “BMV MACHINES” but the hard up ones are going with it. Hope it works out for them and their buyers.

You are now wondering who I am and what background do I come from and why post this. Well I have lived in the Algarve for 24 years now and have always been involved in the building /property world and in the last few months have been approached by Developers and Builders I know who are desperate to shift their unsold properties and are wondering how to contact buyers DIRECTLY and avoid the “MACHINES” old or new.

Their concept is to get potential buyers to analyze their property specs, visit the property, arrange an independent valuation or whatever the buyer needs to make a serious balanced offer, they will then respond with acceptance or refusal of said offer.

What do you think of this approach?

The truth is, the Algarve has got to return to the” Good old Days” of the pre-industrial days of the “MACHINES”.

P

phil jones

Grapevine, interesting to read your take on things. I have to say it all seems to fall into place.
Are you saying that those investors who find themselves with an undervaluation have a better chance than at any time of persuading the developers to negotiate on purchase price ?
Let me know what you think
P

GRAPEVINE

GRAPEVINE

Hi Phil,

To answer your question unfortunately there are a few if´s and buts.
Keep in mind the developer/builder has taken 10 or 15% of your deposit money and has paid the “Machine” that you dealt with so there is original price charged less the above ……

Can the builder/developer take a cut from his own mark up?, probably as prices were calculated in the “Good old Days” where mark ups could be quite wild BUT if he himself bought the land for a crazy price during the “Fever Days” then his room for maneuver may be limited.

The question to ask is, does it pay for the builder/developer to let you walk away if you don’t complete and then put it in the hands of the “BMV MACHINES”? Having asked my contacts, their answer was that it is preferable to keep original buyer.

You can but try, pity that the real culprits of these scenarios have their commissions in their pockets and there is no way to get that back, is there?

Good Luck!

GRAPEVINE

GRAPEVINE

I know that most of the readers of these posts are current purchasers who want to share their fears and worries with other buyers and quite rightly so, as purchasing a first or second or tenth property is always very trying on the nerves.

Unless you came into this to do the “Flip” method and jump off before having to commit 100% to the deal, then you have nothing to worry about, all you need is patience and let time do its thing, I recall my first apartment in Albufeira , a 2 bedroom unit 500 metres walk from the beach cost me the equivalent of 22 000€ , back in 1988, sold 5 years later for aprox. 48 000€, in the mean time I bought a 3 bedroom villa in Guia for 45 000€ which I sold in 1998 for aprox. 120 000€, today the villas in the same development are selling for 450 000€ !

My main secret for purchasing and selling at good prices was I dealt with the builders directly, no Real Estate agents involved! (It does help that I am Portuguese speaking.)

So, my main question in the first post was, would dealing directly with the developer/builder be acceptable for you? Or do you feel there must be a Real Estate agent or company involved.

I would like to give my friends some feedback so please don’t be shy! Let me know your feelings.

Good luck to you all.

GRAPEVINE

GRAPEVINE

A bit of brainstorming ,

Most of you came out either on your own or via one of the a fore mentioned “machines” and purchased /Reserved your property.

The main picture I am getting from reading most of the posts on this forum are that the companies/agents that first got you interested and probably took you on the Royal Tour before you purchased have now gone bust or gone very quiet.

This of course happened AFTER they received their commission!

So, you have put down good money on a property whilst it is being built and since paying the deposit you probably have very little feedback from Builder/Developer or agent which quite rightly so makes you very nervous, especially with the horror stories going on in other parts of Europe , these other locations formally known as “HOTSPOTS”

The question, what service would you like to have that would give you peace of mind and avoid the endless trips to find out “What is the real progress with my investment property”
Probably your lawyer should be giving you real feedback but this is not happening is it?

Would a “Project Management” type service as you get for building be interesting?

Would you pay for such a service?

B

brownee

Grapevine -very interested in the comments that you make.
In my case I have holidayed many many times with family in the algarve and I have now finally decided to buy a holiday villa there and fulfill a long term ambition.
However having looked for the last year plus ,there seems to be no real obvious signs of a realistic pricing correction to take account of seismic shifts in worlds finances.
many houses are still for sale that i first spotted 12 to 18 months ago with only small discounts being given to original prie requirements.
What i am looking for is a three plus bedroomed detached villa ,with own pool ,in the golden triangle area .Cash available and ready for quick movement if right property ,seriously discounted is found.
Seems like however that i am looking in the wrong place.Any ideas where I can get my hands on BMVs ,repossessions or just someone who needs a quick sale having waited to move.
Many thanks in advance for any help or pointers given

GRAPEVINE

GRAPEVINE

Hello Brownee

I will talk to some small builders who have in the past built some one off villas in the triangle and see what they have.

Will get back to you shortly.

B

brownee

Thanks grapevine
would really appreciate this
Many thanks in advance