Africa - Europe tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tootsie

Does anyone know when this tunnel is actually going to start and finish. I was under the impression that construciton will start in 2008 and finish in the following couple of years. But I also came across some other information stating that the tunnel is not starting until 2025 and completing in 2028!!! :eek:

If that is the case, what's hte point in investing right now!!? I'm sure that is a mistake, but I'd like some confirmation please.....

On the same note, if the tunnel is completing in 2010 or so, then why would anyone want to invest anywhere else in morocco? Surely with the tunnel opening up in the next 3-4 years, most of investor money should be going in that region? Tamuda Bay is being touted as the Golden Mile of morocco, and I fail to realise why someone would want to invest in other regions. For example, you can pick up penthouse apartments in Alcudia Smir - sea facing - for around €105k to €115k. With the massive tourism influx that is predicted when the tunnel opens up, these apartments are sure to rise in value.

Even otherwise, the rental yields on these should be phenomenal as well. What am I missing here guys? :sheep:

B

b055man

Tootsie, the Spanish and Moroccan governments have been holding negotiations to build this tunnel for over 20 years. According to the national press, it finally got approval in Jan 2004 and both countries signed an agreement to build the 39 km (24 miles) rail tunnel under the strait of Gibraltar.

Since then two companies i.e. SNED (Morocco) and SECEG (Spain) have been conducting various geological studies into the sea bed to determine the depth and final route of the tunnel. The studies should be finished by the end of this year and detail findings will be published on how the tunnel will actually work and the amount of traffic that will use it, once it starts.

The big question is where the money will come from. Estimates of cost vary between $8bn and $13bn (£4.1bn - $£6.7bn). It is hoped that funding can be raised via two publicly owned companies in Spain and Morocco, as well as financial support from the European Union.

If the money is forthcoming, construction is due to start sometime in 2008 and this very first fixed link between Europe and Africa could become one of the modern wonders of the world by 2025, yes you heard …. 2025.

The final project will include the construction of two tunnels with a service tunnel in the middle to connect them and will be similar to the Channel Tunnel that links Britain to France. The two adjacent tunnels are planned between Punta Paloma (40km west of Gibraltar) and Punta Malabata, near Tangiers.

Now with regards to the property market.. Well, like any investment, it’s good to get in early. It’s not only the tunnel that is driving tourists and investment into Morocco, but various other factors… see the following link…

http://www.moroccopropertyforum.com/morocco-property-other-regions/general-property-market-talk/31-10-reasons-why-morocco.html

L

Lee Filkins

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
To my knowledge a contract has already been given to a swiss company. 2025 looks more likely date. There is funding also availble from the EU.

I

imported_Prolan

Hey Tootsie,

I wouldn't give all the stories about the tunnel any importance in an investment decision. As previous posters informed you:

They (Spain & Morocco) only signed an agreement saying they agree to investigate the possibility of building the tunnel. We got a tunnel link of our own between the UK and have we forgotten how long it took to get that one started & completed ==> talks and plans had started in Napoleonic times.

The geological studies are not even finished and the main issue with the tunnel are:
a) the depth of the seabed
b) the fact that the area is often struck by small earthquakes

I wouldn't bet on anything happening before 2030, if something will be built at all.

Be carefull in believing statements released on websites of many of the sales agents.

Morocco is a fantastic country to invest in, but frankly the tunnel isn't one of them. As such Tangiers as well as many other areas of the country make a very good investment. Just do your homework before handing over any moneys.

Sorry for the dissapointment.

Prolan

L

Lee Filkins

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Prolon, Whilst I agree with most of what you and yes plans for our tunnel goes back to Napoleonic times. With these kind of projects Political will is far one important.

I, am aware that the geological test have been carried out, The location chosen is not the shortist point between Spain and Morocco but the most optimal at the sea bed.

I have seen the technical drawings for the the two tunnel bore that need to be drilled. The mouth of the tunnels are at normal earth level it than slopes down and start rising at some point under the weather again to come out at the other end.

The engineering company does not seam to be concerned with the earthquake. They are more concerned about water leakage

L

Lee Filkins

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry. Weather should be read as water. I dont know if there are editing facility on this forum ?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.