ad

Advice Regarding Leaseholds

A

Anon Private

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a flat (UK),but I am concerned regarding leasehold conditions. Leases tend not to be available to would-be buyers, until the solicitor becomes involved.

But some of the problems include whether a leaseholder can repair, or even wash their car in a bay.
Needing permission to undertake certain work, etc.

I have never owned a flat, so, from your experience in the UK what are the major pitfalls in buying a flat in terms of the lease requirements?

Thanks

Ps. Is there a way of investigating lease requirements at the viewing stage.

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Anon,

Leasehold as you've pointed out can be a pain as you don't have full control of the property... if you want to make renovations for example you often need the permission of the main leaseholder.

I've recently had an issue with a leasehold flat and personally far prefer freehold investments, this often isn't possible with smaller flat investments though so just check the lease carefully...

You should be able to ask for the lease early from the agent so just ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Property Forum

A

Anon Private

I am single, not interested in gardens, sheds, greenhouses, maintenance, etc. For me, a flat appears to be the better option. I, also, prefer freehold for the freedom to act. But, I don't really have much choice. I have noted that for the vast majority of flats leasehold is the norm, freehold rare, and part ownership sparse. I feel that I am stuck.

I have considered a bungalow with a small garden, but these tend to be more expensive compared with flats in a similar area. For me, location is important.

All the best