ad

Advice on property buying in Turkey

J

Jess81006

Hey everyone,

Just wanted a little bit of advice, my boyfriend and i are looking at buying an apartment in Turkey. Everything seems above board with the Agent we are with, but we wanted a solicitor to check out our contract etc just for peace of mind.

However, when we speak to the solicitor they talk about doing the whole shabang for us, organizing power of attorney, signing of title deeds etc.

Is this completely necessary? We dont want to fork out a fortune for something we can do ourselves, we have discussed the process with the agent and we are happy to go over and do this with him on completion of sale.

I have discussed with the solicitor that we only really want them to check over the contracts and the property for us, ensure everything is above board and then we can go to turkey and finish the rest alone. They said they can do it, but we just want to know really if this will this suffice?

Any advice would be great, its difficult to know really what to do with the advice the solicitor gives you as at the end of the day, they are trying to sell a service also!

Thanks alot.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
My advice would be to trust your attorney before trusting the agent even if he seems to be ok. We always advise our clients to use a lawyer. If Turkey is anything like Cyprus you need to protect yourselves and the best way to do that is through an attorney.
It is false economy not to use a lawyer as you could end up losing everything if the agent turns out to be dodgy.

J

Jess81006

My advice would be to trust your attorney before trusting the agent even if he seems to be ok. We always advise our clients to use a lawyer. If Turkey is anything like Cyprus you need to protect yourselves and the best way to do that is through an attorney.
It is false economy not to use a lawyer as you could end up losing everything if the agent turns out to be dodgy.

But is it completely necessary to get them to organize the title deed and power of attorney though? Or will it suffice asking them to check over documents?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Unless you are there to do these things it is best to use the attorney. Of course it is your choice but I would not rely on an agent without an attorney to keep an eye on him. Sorry to say this but being in the industry in a similar part of the world I have come across so many agents I would not trust. Your choice but if things go wrong it could cost you far more than the attorneys fees.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I think many people buying property overseas are in danger of falling into a trap. We automatically assume everything is like for like in other countries, when it isn't. If you do not have experience of the market and you are not physically there to watch the deal every step of the way then you are taking a big risk "going it alone".

I agree with Veronica, attorneys are a type of insurance to make sure everything goes right. Everything may go perfectly well but the day you need them they will be worth their weight in gold.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

Pride comes before a fall - if you have no experience in a market and the buying process then take advice from someone who has. Simple :)

M

MechJony

This is always the case when a newlywed couple wants to start a united family until all this hassle. I understand you very well because I still had the same problem with my husband in the early years until I asked for help from this company https://federal-lawyer.com/texas/houston-federal-defense/. He helped us with the legal questions we didn't know and convinced us that everything would be fine. We were lucky because our friends called on them before, and we knew we could trust them.