Advice on Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy

Hi,

I have just started setting up our structure with a LAQC, now trying to decide where to invest.
We live in Auckland, but are considering moving to Christchurch in 10/15 years, where my wife was born. She has not lived there much at all, and we still have family, who perhaps could do the open homes for us!

I have read everywhere that it is better to look to invest not too far from where you leave, but we were wondering what people from the forum thought about it.
For us, it would be easier to get started with one or 2 properties in Christchurch, compared to the one in Auckland, because of prices.
In both cases, we were going to have the properties managed by experts once purchased.

Is it a dangerous strategy?
What would you consider as pro and cons for both cases?

Thanks

A

armando

Hey Andy,
I don't think either of these ideas are "dangerous" strategies as such, but a lot of it will come down to your own investment education, confidence and determination.

My personal view on this is that at the start you will learn a lot from getting your own hands dirty - by that I mean talking to agents, viewing open homes, learning your local market etc. So naturally, I would lean towards buying locally.

A lot can happen in 10/15 years!

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.