advice on costs please

X

xsgolf

Hi,

As a newbie for potentialy investing in land/property in USA I would appreciate some experienced advice.
Here in Scotland UK , I am aware of the costs of UK land and housing with taxes etc but I don't know enough about the costs in the USA, for example if land is purchased what taxes am I responsible for and is the local county clerk the best place to ask? what responsibilities does owning land bring.
About property taxes, same questions. I know there are lots of books/guides but which to trust? I understand than different states will have different methods and rates of tax so I am just looking for a general guide from people with real experience.
I am planning to move to USA after my boy finishes his university so looking to buy and rent/ or re sell to make a few $ and understand the systems before taking the plunge.

Thank you in advance.

Ryan M

Ryan M

Came across this info and thought it might be useful in your plan to relocate to the US.

The Tax Foundation came up with this list of the top ten best states for property taxes along with the percentage of home value paid in property taxes as:

Louisiana - 0.18%
Hawaii - 0.26%
Alabama - 0.33%
Delaware - 0.43%
West Virginia - 0.49%
South Carolina - 0.50%
Arkansas - 0.52%
Mississippi - 0.52%
New Mexico - 0.55%
Wyoming - 0.58%

The Tax Foundation also found that homeowners in these states paid the most in property taxes compared to home value:

New Jersey - 1.89%
New Hampshire - 1.86%
Texas - 1.81%
Wisconsin - 1.76%
Nebraska - 1.70%
Illinois - 1.73%
Connecticut - 1.63%
Michigan - 1.62%
Vermont - 1.59%
North Dakota - 1.42%