advice on buying in Alicante

K

Kalou1972

Hi all, we are currently toying with buying a holiday home in the Alicante area (flights from our local airport ). We are going to go over for a holiday to check out the different areas but I just wondered anyone's experiences ...advice etc ??? I would have thought we'd be looking at resale.

Many thanks in advance

Karen x

S

sunnyalex

look on different forums to get some idea on that area..

B

Buddyfox

I live in 70 miles from Alicante and know the coast well. If you ask specific questions I will answer.....too much of a broad subject otherwise

K

Kalou1972

Hi all ...weird I posted on this thread again but it's disappeared !!?! ...a how....

Yes firstly interested to know about nice areas. We have a 4 year old....so would like a small walk to bars ...beach...a few shops ...restaurants etc...but would like to be in a nice quiet area ??

Also...we will more than likely be buying a resale so don't need to worry about sales agents...construction companies etc....but are there any companies we need to steer clear of ??...is maintenance/management companies ??

Also how does it work...you purchase a property and sign a sales contract...but then what ?? Is it yours or do you need to register through the courts ?? If so...any ideas on costs...or what's the Spanish court system is like ??

What's crime rates like ??

Can you fly throughout the year ??

...I'm sure I'll think of more

Thanks in advance

Karen x

B

Buddyfox

I think you should give an idea of your budget. There are nice areas within in most budgets. Also you work, if you can do it form home. what sort of property you are looking for so there can give you an idea of where you should be looking

K

Kalou1972

We're open really ...I suppose at the minimum it would be a 2 bedroom apartment ....would also be interested in a 3 bedroom townhouse/villa. We have had lots of problems in the past with maintenance companies ....so a property free from management would also be of interest (we are not completely against property with maintenance fees ....so long as the company has a good rep and a housing association or owners association is in place.

I do work from home...but at the moment this would be for ho,I days only ax we have a little boy at school.

In terms of budget...again quite open....it would be cash sale and don't think we would go over about £150,000 ....unless it was an outstanding opportunity.

Thanks x

B

Buddyfox

Clearly you money goes further than it did a few months ago, and you do have to consider about 12% costs in that, but you can get a 2 bed apartment from that up and down most of the coast.

I live in javea, and it is great. The arenal is great if you like a bit of life, but the small villages around lke Moraira are great for something a little more sedate. It might be worth looking at some of the bank properties that are still available. There is now a lot of rubbish around with them but there is the odd gem and you can barter them down

If you go down the coat to Murcia it is a lot cheaper, and often more crowded. It is not my cup of tea but everyone is different. For instance I like to go to Benidorm now and againl its only 40 miles away, and its great for kids, but I also like to come back out!

K

Kalou1972

Ha ha . We are coming over on the 8th of June for a couple of weeks. We're going to hire a car and have a look around.n
The important thing for us is we can fly from Doncaster ...and don't want to be too far from the airport. What about registering property ?? Does that need to be done in Spain and if so how much ??

B

Buddyfox

You will need an NIE number to register the escritura (title deed) into your name. You can normally apply at main police stations.
You transfer the title deed at a notary. Its difficult if you dont speak Spanish, but pretty straight forward in Spanish terms, if you do. However, as you would be unlikely to puchase a property in the UK without a lawyer, you really should not think about doing so in a foreign country where, even if you do speak the language, interpretation can be different, and legal words not know. Get a lawyer for the sake of a couple of grand! Its saving 1% for potential 99% risk

K

Kalou1972

We wouldn't dream of buying without a lawyer ....any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your help. It seems a very quiet forum compared to others I have been on !!...so your help has been great ...thank you x

B

Buddyfox

No problem. Ive been in Spain 10 years and been coming here for over 30 years. I did point out about the lawyer, as you would be amazed how many people dont use one then blame Spain for it!

If you have any specific questions, fire away

K

Kalou1972

We have a property already in Egypt... And have a lawyer over there we have used him for all sorts. Egyptplace is a nightmare to deal with. We're seriously thinking if selling up ...I will miss the Red Sea though ! Thanks again ....I'm sure more questions will crop up.

Thanks Karen x

P

property-spain

I own a property in Guardamar del segura, which isnt too far from Alicante, lovely location, it can be very quiet in the winter however I would try and shop around as much as possible and try and find something that is off good value.

I would also try and find something which offers great facilities idea for any future rental,

the property we own has a very large swimming pool, baby pool, Jacuzzi tennis court basketball court, gym and a small kids play area. we achieve around 500 euros a week in the summer.