ad

Acoustic compliance - Part L - without a sound test

P

Polly

Hi all,
Can anyone advise on getting an acoustic compliance certification without having a sound test? My house and the neighbouring house were separated into two dwellings but on completion an acoustic test wasn't carried out and I can not get a building control certificate without it. The owner of the neighbouring house will not grant access to carry out the simple test. Are there companies that can confirm the build up of the wall construction complies?
I hope to here from someone!
Thank you!

D

diyhelp

Who originally split the properties? If it was not you then I would go back to the builders/previous owners as surely it must be their obligation to get a test carried out? I assume your neighbour will be in the same scenario, unless an acoustic test is carried out they won't be able to get a building control certificate?

P

Polly

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. The neighbour (my ex partner - added complication) was the builder and served the building notice. The local authority BC issued a completion certificate for his property before the acoustic test was carried out. He won't grand access for the test. I'm hoping someone could certify that the wall construction meets the required insulation without carrying out the test. Any ideas welcome, or whether I can serve a party wall notice to carry out the test...
Thank you.

R

realdeals

Surely the local authority must bear some of the blame for this issue as they released a completion certificate before the acoustic tests was carried out. My first port of call would be the local authority - ask them what exactly is going on and how they plan to fix the situation.

It certainly is a complication if the other property is owned by your ex-partner and they are being "awkward". Is there nobody who can act as a mediator between the two of you to get this issue resolved once and for all?