A week in the life of the average tourist

P

pwood8

Hi All - first postsince I introduced myself. I have bought a studio in DP2 a couple of months ago. I too bought without seeing. All the posts on here and my own research made the decision easy. I believe Egypt is one of the top places to invest at the moment. Having not been I would like to build a picture of what a week in Hurghada would consist of for the average tourist and what kind of budget would be needed. Also how does Egypt copmare to other destinations - can a comparison be made. Great forum any feedback would be welcome.

L

Lsab

Hi pwood, although we've got several threads covering this subject I thought your question might make an interesting thread on its own.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi I have only been to Hurghada once but have been to Sharm and Luxor many times.
I will give you a week in the life of a Sharmer. The prices are probably a little more expensive from Hurgh though.

Well the 1st thing that hits me is the heat as we get off of the plane. We head straight into arrivals and see all the local reps ready to pounce. In Sharm we do not require a visitors visa if we are not leaving the Sinai region or going to Ras Mohammed. I now have a multi entry visa so avoid the queues. We fill in our entry card and hubby and kids write Sinai only on the back and we by pass all the visa queues and head straight for passport control and baggage reclaim. I normally now go off and have a much needed ciggie - normally find a booth with the security staff, chat away and ask for a light LOL. We leave the airport and our taxi driver is ready and waiting for us.
As the flights normally arrive very late afternoon we normally dump the cases in our hotel room and get a bite to eat and our 1st of many beers.
The rest of the evening is spent having a look around the hotel ( if it is one we havent stayed in ) then unpack.
The next morning I am up bright and early and normally on the sunbed before 7. I normally grab a cup of tea or 2 and wait for the others to join me and we go off to breakfast.
The 2nd day we wander of round Naama bay and start to haggle and book the trips. Hubby and the kids normally book an afternoon on the quads ( about £18 for single and £25 for double ) and they go off and leave me in peace on the sunbed for a few hours. If we go b n b we check out our fave restaurants. We can get a main meal in the Mexican for less than £5 a head. There are lots of places along the prom to eat and you can get a nice pizza that is big enough for 2 to share for about £2.50. A decent fillet steak dinner will be about £6 with all the trimmings. You can eat very cheaply especially if you go where the locals eat. Most hotels charge between £2 and £3 for a lager. Some bars have happy hour buy one get one free but the hour normally lasts for 3.
We would also book a snorkelling trip to Tiran Island. Get picked up in the morn and bought back around 5 ish. All day with lunch and unlimited tea, coffee and soft drinks is about £20 head. Giftun Island in Hurg is fab and the same concept and roughly same price.
We have flown with Egyptair and done an overnight to Cairo ( you can get flights for around £35 each return ) and we organised our own guide. I have also done the same but flown for the week end to Luxor.
We have also booked afternoon camel treks in the desert and had dinner under the stars.
I cant compare Egypt to any other destination I have been to. I have never seen any groups of hens or stags or groups getting drunk and causing trouble - Ibiza and Ayia Napa its defo not. The people are so friendly and welcoming and they are also genuine. Yes there are rogues out there that wil try and rip you off but we get that anywhere else.
We like to mix with the locals and have been invited for lunch. If they do this it is genuine hospitality and they do not want anything in return.
The weather of course is hot hot hot.
Amy and I normally have a wonder round the shops and try not to spend too much money. We have now got the hang of haggling. Whatever price they say go in at least a third of that price. Offer what you are happy to pay. You get hassled from the shopkeepers but a smile and no thankyou normaly does the trick. Dont fall for ' come into my shop and sign my book ' or where you from because the moment you enter into a conversation with them they wont leave you alone!!

Hope this gives you a little idea.

Regards

Alison

P

pwood8

Thanks Allison I am beginning to form a great picture of Egypt and cant wait to sample its delights.

P

pwood8

Allison pictures are great looking forward to visiting these places once I have purchased my base to explore from

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi PWood - defo recommend getting out and about. It is quite cheap to fly to Cairo and Luxor. I would recommend a minimum week end stay in Luxor as there is just so much to see - it is like an outdoors museum. Cairo IMO can be done in a day.