A Quandry - What's Best To Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger

Roger

As seems to my luck at the moment, our flight to Egypt has been altered by the operator (Budget).

Originally due to fly from Dublin direct to Luxor, where we had a taxi booked to take us to El Gouna, the flights are now going via Sharm, adding around an hour to the travel time.

So my quandry is - would it be easier/quicker to get off at Sharm and get a taxi, or ferry, to El Gouna, or stick to the original plan with the hour delay and the four hour taxi ride?

Can we get off at Sharm? Aren't different visas required?

What time are ferrys (not entirely sure what time we'd get into Sharm)

Can we over-night in Sharm and make our way to El Gouna next day?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Georgina

Georgina

The ferry from Sharm to Hurghada used to be:
Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 5pm and Wednesday 6pm according to Red Sea Bulletin magazine.

You know you have to travel with the convoy from Luxor. Not sure of the times.

Roger

Roger

The ferry from Sharm to Hurghada used to be:
Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 5pm and Wednesday 6pm according to Red Sea Bulletin magazine.

You know you have to travel with the convoy from Luxor. Not sure of the times.
We're travelling on a Wednesday, so 6pm ought to give us time to get to the ferry in time.

We were hoping that a little baksheesh would get us out of the convoy or, failing that, at least we wouldn't be stuck on a coach or in a crowd of people in a hotel lobby while we wait.

Maybe you could get off at Sharm and fly to Hurghada?
Hadn't thought of that one :eek: I don't suppose it would be expensive, even at foreigner rates.

Thanks for the input, Georgina :)

Georgina

Georgina

We're travelling on a Wednesday, so 6pm

Hadn't thought of that one :eek: I don't suppose it would be expensive, even at foreigner rates.

Thanks for the input, Georgina :)
Just checked Egypt Air online you could fly at 10pm but via Cairo! But you land at 11pm and Cairo to HRG takes off at 11.30pm which probably would mean you miss the flight but Egypt Air won't tell you that. LE1428 for 2 adults.

So you could be going to Sharm, Cairo, Hurghada, El Gouna, Luxor........

V

VICKIG

As seems to my luck at the moment, our flight to Egypt has been altered by the operator (Budget).

Originally due to fly from Dublin direct to Luxor, where we had a taxi booked to take us to El Gouna, the flights are now going via Sharm, adding around an hour to the travel time.

So my quandry is - would it be easier/quicker to get off at Sharm and get a taxi, or ferry, to El Gouna, or stick to the original plan with the hour delay and the four hour taxi ride?

Can we get off at Sharm? Aren't different visas required?

What time are ferrys (not entirely sure what time we'd get into Sharm)

Can we over-night in Sharm and make our way to El Gouna next day?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Roger,

You have a couple of options but all will depend on the day and the time.
There is now a service with Egypt Air between Sharm and Hurghada but only on certain days of the week and at specific times as just 1 flight.

You can take the ferry but all this will cost you more than 300Le so financially u will be better off suffering the 1 hours delay.

KR
Victoria

C

CMChris

Is the ferry running from Sharm to Hurghada? Because when we were there in April it was docked in Hurghada and out of service with no one knowing when it would be operational again.

V

VICKIG

The ferry is always a bit hit and miss to be honest
Where I work we never book for anyone because of the realiability factor.
The flight with Egypt Air to be honest if you book it early enough is only about 10 squid more.

Kr
Victoria

Roger

Roger

Just checked Egypt Air online you could fly at 10pm but via Cairo! But you land at 11pm and Cairo to HRG takes off at 11.30pm which probably would mean you miss the flight but Egypt Air won't tell you that. LE1428 for 2 adults.

So you could be going to Sharm, Cairo, Hurghada, El Gouna, Luxor........
The journey :eek:

and the cost :eek::eek: (4 adults!)

Thanks anyway, Georgina :)

Roger

Roger

Hi Roger,

You have a couple of options but all will depend on the day and the time.
There is now a service with Egypt Air between Sharm and Hurghada but only on certain days of the week and at specific times as just 1 flight.

You can take the ferry but all this will cost you more than 300Le so financially u will be better off suffering the 1 hours delay.

KR
Victoria
Hi Voctoria,

We're travelling on the 25th (Weds) and the flight is due in to Luxor 1605, so I reckon it'll be in Sharm around 1500.

The LE300 would be saved on the taxi fare, so costs would be around the same. However, as you say later, the ferry service is a bit hit and miss. I don't fancy being stuck unexpectedly overnight with the family.

Thanks for the info.

V

VICKIG

Sharm - Hurghada direct with Egypt Air only operates on Sat/Sun/Mon
Prices start at £10 per person one way upto £20 per person one way.

You are best travelling as planned and still going by taxi between Luxor and Hurghada.

Roger

Roger

Sharm - Hurghada direct with Egypt Air only operates on Sat/Sun/Mon
Prices start at £10 per person one way upto £20 per person one way.

You are best travelling as planned and still going by taxi between Luxor and Hurghada.
Bum :(

Oh well, what's 2 hours out of a fortnights holiday? :D

Thanks all for the input.

Georgina

Georgina

Make sure your taxi is a good one and not a non-airconditioned Luxor taxi! If there are ladies in the car it is unlikely you will get through without the convoy. They never let me through even though I have lived here 5 years. And the safest place in the convoy is right at the front or right at the back where there is no overtaking!

Status
Not open for further replies.