3 Days in Luxor???

L

lyndsay552

I have family over in Hurghada at the moment and they would like to go to Luxor for 3 days.

Has anyone done this before and if so who did you for the transportation and trips.

Thanks

Lyndsay

G

Global Investment

Hurghada to Luxor

I have family over in Hurghada at the moment and they would like to go to Luxor for 3 days.

Has anyone done this before and if so who did you for the transportation and trips.

Thanks

Lyndsay
Hi Lyndsay,
i have have done this trip dozens of times a few years ago as i used to work as a tourist guide based in Magawish village.
all tourists at that time used to join a convoy consists of tourist buses, mini buses, and even private cars that are transposing tourists.
i am a member of the guides syndicate too and i recently heard that the convoy system is not used anymore and travelers can go at any time.

My recommendation to you is to contact one of the reputable tour operators in Hurghada to validate this information, and if you have one in your hotel, it is recommend to go through them.

i can give some names to look for:
1) Bright sky travel (they are responsible) for all Thomas cook travel tours in Egypt)
2) Marhaba Travel (they are handling Hays & Jarvis UK part of 1st choice)
3) Travco (they are responsible for all TUI, Thompson tours in Egypt)

There are some local and small agents that do the same trip but i would not recommend any of them if you want to have the best tour in Luxor.
i also would not recommend to go individually as you will not enjoy it and will wast a lot of precious time trying to find where to go.

Regards
Amr

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Lyndsay I have done this from Sharm - booked internal flights with Egyptair and found hotel on net. Found a car and driver who charged us just 150le all day and took us where we wanted.

Flying out from Sharm again 21st June, staying at Old Winter Palace for the night then drive to Edfu to catch up with Mojita Nile cruise. Head down to Aswan, Lake Nasser and back up to Luxor. The cruise was just £350 for the both of us full board with excursions. Booked hotel with Great late deals £34 for 2 bed and breakfast.

Red Sea

Red Sea

Banned
I did this and I just rented a taxi , and it cost between 300 to 400 L.E

O

orosurf

Convoys are a thing of the past. This has been the case for almost a year now.
I took clients to Luxor the day before yesterday, we hired a car (about 200 LE) and I drove for them.
We had an easy, if somewhat long and hot trip. Cost of fuel about 150 LE.

Total cost for trip about 550 LE . for 3/4 people

It is a beautiful drive through the mountains and desert ,then the lush green fields and palm groves as you get closer to the Nile.

There are plenty of tour companies available as was mentioned,but if you fancy a bit more independence ,that is what it will cost approximately.

I have lived in Hurghada for about a year now and know my way around pretty well.

This is not an ad ,just another way of doing the trip.
Hope it is useful to someone.

P

Paul7065

Thanks

Lyndsay
Hi Lynsay,

Finally got around to signing up and glad to see someone I can put a face to. I met you and Glenn when you had just taken over PJs. (Paul from Belfast who bought in Red Sea Pharaoh) I hope all is well and the bar is thriving. We have all managed to get through "Orangefest 2009" with minimal disruption a very small amount of rioting and 1 shot fired. I have found cheap flights to Luxor and was wondering whether the hire of a car is feasible and or advisable for the drive to Hurghada?

Any advice would be most welcome thanks

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

Luxor hotel

We are looking to go to Luxor this year for a few days and wondered if anyone could recommend a clean and cheap hotel?

Cheers

P

Paul7065

3 years ago I stayed at the Mercure Luxor. (It was a second week of a Nile cruise and booked online for 99GBP for the week!!! The hotel is on the east bank of the Nile with excellent facilities (pool disco 3 bars) and it is adjacent to Luxor temple.

The rooms were VERY spacious although the decor was getting tired then and a lick of paint would do no harm, but it was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly. Above all it was very good value for money.

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

Hi paul,
We stayed there a couple of years ago on a flying visit although I'm sure we paid about the same for 2 nights..however it is a decent hotel. We used to use it as a drink break years ago, handy for being in the centre of everything. It used to be called the Etap years ago......and funnily enough, this is where we first saw the bamboo furniture which they use outside which is what we modelled our rooftop furniture on.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi we love the Sonesta St George - right on the banks on the Nile fab rooms and great service. Recently spent a night at Winter Palace - again fab room and fab pool. We stayed at both June this yr and got fab prices - try Travel Republic and lastminute ( lastminute let us book the same day - booked in Internet on banks of Nile at 11am ish and checked in 11.30 ish!! for Sonesta - £34 for 2 b n b and room was side Nile View and fab )

Also stayed at Morris hotel which was really nice and cheap and near to Luxor Temple. Check out Hotels4u.

If you are after ultra cheap look at hotels in Television Street.

W

wellheld

I stayed at the Suzanna Hotel in the centre of town with a fantastic view over Luxor Temple. Not expensive but can't remember what I paid for double room. The view made it though, especially when the temple is lit at night. Breakfast overlooking the temple was just amazing too. Walking distance from the bus station, and easy to find.