2009 Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

heat_wave

Personally I believe the market in Dubai is now just becoming like other regular markets. The reason people are panicing is because these are people so used to the extreme gains in high risk emerging markets.
Now we see real estate brokers actually employing people with the correct background and experience in the field.
The offplan market is a unique market which does not exist in common established markets.
The market for ready properties will return once investors adopt a more mature market and look at Dubai similar to New York, London etc.

L

loai

thats right

Personally I believe the market in Dubai is now just becoming like other regular markets. The reason people are panicing is because these are people so used to the extreme gains in high risk emerging markets.
Now we see real estate brokers actually employing people with the correct background and experience in the field.
The offplan market is a unique market which does not exist in common established markets.
The market for ready properties will return once investors adopt a more mature market and look at Dubai similar to New York, London etc.
well said..

D

DAYFox

first quarter is going to be bad... 3rd to 4th will be good
Can u support ur estimation? I hope it will be like that, but would like to know if u can support somehow ur statement?!

T

TommyC

Property could fall again in 2009 - The National Newspaper

Property prices are expected to fall further as the global economic slowdown continues to hit the sector, according to analysts.

Compared with figures last July when the market peaked, the total fall in property prices by the end of this year is predicted to be up to 60 per cent in Dubai and about 20 per cent in Abu Dhabi, according to Roy Cherry, a research analyst at Shuaa Capital.

“2009 will be a dark year for the real estate sector,” said Mr Cherry. “We expect the first half of 2009 to potentially realise further drops, with stronger declines in Dubai than in Abu Dhabi.”

The first half of the year will be the most challenging in Dubai, with asset values reaching new 24-month lows, increased defaults on off-plan property and growing issues with payments, according to a note on the outlook of 2009 by Shuaa Capital’s research team.

Dubai’s property prices fell up to 40 per cent last year as high-profile corruption scandals in the sector picked up pace during the summer months. Residential property up until July last year had reached all-time highs. Off-plan primary market properties in Downtown Burj Dubai and DIFC were selling for Dh45,000 (US$12,249) to Dh55,000 per square metre, an increase of about 100 per cent in less than a year. However, as hot money left the market and banks began to restrict lending to developers and contractors in August, the sector began to struggle, analysts say.

“Most of Dubai’s gain [in real estate growth from 2007 to 2008] has evaporated due to the recent crisis that we’ve seen,” said Mr Cherry.

Shuaa analysts warn that Abu Dhabi’s property sector, while more resilient than Dubai’s, is not immune.

“It’s more of a sentiment-based correction that we’re seeing in Abu Dhabi; fundamentals say the market is strong, yet there is a negative reaction due to what’s happening in Dubai and the severity of it,” said Mr Cherry.

Abu Dhabi’s population is likely to grow but at a slower pace than last year, meaning that short-term demand growth will also be suppressed, according to Shuaa’s research note. Fundamentals remain strong, however, with the residential property market witnessing extreme shortage and rising rents. Residential property prices had been rising until last October. In the 12 months from Oct 2007 to Sep 2008, Abu Dhabi prices of apartments increased by nearly 90 per cent, according to Colliers.

Abu Dhabi occupancy rates are expected to remain close to full levels and rents to stay on the rise, according to Shuaa. In the past year, Abu Dhabi rents are estimated to have risen by 65 per cent in spite of a 5 per cent cap on rent renewals.

Although the Abu Dhabi market is expected to see fewer transaction activities and perhaps a further drop in asset values in the first two quarters of this year, growth is expected in the following quarters.

“Fourth-quarter results will give some indication of where we’re going, and the second half of 2009 will give us a better ability to assess how the crisis has impacted the sector,” said Mr Cherry.

For the moment, Mr Cherry expects further corrections in the property sector as long as uncertainty remains high, economic data is limited, project funding remains an issue and job security levels remain low.

While relatively optimistic about transactions in the second half of this year, he does not expect a sudden rebound. “The days and liquidity of 2008 are long gone and won’t be seen for some time to come.”

W

Wannaberich

I think the first 3 months of this year will be bad.Prices set to fall another 15/20% before levelling out.After Sept prices may start to rise slowly.

Z

zombie

I don't think prices are set to rise, after they hit bottoms(March/April 2009),they will stagnate for a period of time which I believe is around 2-3 years, then we could see some growth in valuations.

BTW I don't think Abu Dhabi is as secure as they make it out to be. With Oil prices at these levels there is bound to be a downturn in investment in property. Rentals will fall, maybe they are better able to cover up the scenario than Dubai.

Last edited:
zanis

zanis

"Dubai Disneyland" maybe in deep trouble with the current financial meltdown - read here for an article on real estate agents staying positive even when everyone else is the opposite.

G

georgihh

The labour office cannot manage the numbers of visa cancellation.

Gulfnews: Ministry to start electronic labour card cancellation

The bad news just keeps coming!
The problem is the government is bankrupt – they need a fresh cash to support the existing projects and the huge government salaries.
With businesses reducing the staff or just stop operating and paying less to the government the things might get out of proportion. I hope they will not let this place collapse.
Drastic changes are needed to prevent the free fall

S

shazy

:confused:do any of you have any good news?? you all seem so doom and gloom if every ones advice is sell and run why invest:rolleyes: I think and know that things are bad but hold on tight and things will pick up eveywhere later than sooner but will as the only wayis up:) right ? this pep talk is as much for myself and others as i am panicking too but i thnk if every stuck too it it coukd mean that we could speed recovery.

G

georgihh

:confused:do any of you have any good news?? you all seem so doom and gloom if every ones advice is sell and run why invest:rolleyes: I think and know that things are bad but hold on tight and things will pick up eveywhere later than sooner but will as the only wayis up:) right ? this pep talk is as much for myself and others as i am panicking too but i thnk if every stuck too it it coukd mean that we could speed recovery.
Business is business and is dictated by the big money. Your appeal to keep the property is like a drop in the sea. Look at the cash flows and decide for yourself.
My opinion is that the cash is gone and unless all the prices and salaries are reduced drastically nothing will improve.
A new cash will come in this country only if generates more cash, but for the time being everything is upside down.
Abu Dhabi is a solution but I don’t know if they are willing to help.

S

shazy

Business is business and is dictated by the big money. Your appeal to keep the property is like a drop in the sea. Look at the cash flows and decide for yourself.
My opinion is that the cash is gone and unless all the prices and salaries are reduced drastically nothing will improve.
A new cash will come in this country only if generates more cash, but for the time being everything is upside down.
Abu Dhabi is a solution but I don’t know if they are willing to help.
so is there anyone out there buying if we sell so far i have seen no sign of that also especially with the projects that i have in JV they have just cleared on land on some!!! who do we sell to? please advise:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.