Arrivals in January 2008 - Northeast Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dotty

Banned
Give them a call.Maybe the can guide you better.But I do remember having everyday to choose from a few yrs back and am a frequent flier.
How frequently do you fly Dotty?

How long ago was there a TAP flight every day. Must be quite a while ago now?

J

JMBroad

Figures for March are now updated.

Considering the TOP4 airports only;

Variation number of Intl passengers compared to last year

Recife +30%
Salvador +1%
Fortaleza -4%
Natal -15%

Variation number of Domestic passengers compared to last year

Natal +24%
Recife +21%
Salvador +2%
Fortaleza -0.5%

However, interestingly enough, if you take the total market (all international flights) and compare market share (of total arrivals how many went to each airport),Natal is heads and shoulders above the rest.

This would indicate that Natal is still gaining in comparison to the other airports. Recife is a surprise because despite having a huge increase in number of passengers, it's actually getting less share of the total arrivals.

Total Intl arrivals Jan-Mar 2008: 349.306
Total Intl arrivals Jan-Mar 2007: 346.852
(-2.454 Intl passengers in 2008)

% Share of international arrivals 2008 compared to 2007:

Natal + 3.5 %
Fortaleza + 1%
Salvador 0% change
Recife -4%

/discuss

G

Golfingworld

More people go through Malaga in a week than through the whole of North East Brazil in three months...that puts these numbers into perspective! It's a joke, the numbers are insignificant. Percentages mean nothing, one extra flight means 100% increase..so what...you cant build a huge developing tourist economy in an area the equivalent to the distance between Seville and Oslo on 350,000 tourists it is ridiculous. The basic fundamentals are not there to create this boom that people state and that fundamental all revolves around cheap, efficient air travel and fast easy throughput thru the airports, everything that does not exist. Even Brazilians have difficulty getting cheap prices for flights in relative terms and the airports are equally inefficient for them as Foreigners. The more I travel and learn about brazil the more I realise that it will be years and years before their thinking will catch up with destinations like Dominican Republic, Mexico, Thailand, UAE etc etc only, from what I can see, Salvador and area seem to have their act together but even their aiport is a real mess. If I had invested for profit, I'd have gone to Bahia not Natal and from what I can see the Tour Operators have grasped that too.

Last edited:
J

JMBroad

More people go through Malaga in a week than through the whole of North East Brazil in three months...that puts these numbers into perspective! It's a joke, the numbers are insignificant.
Erm... only just spotted this little gem as I came to update the June results for the Northeast... Was probably posted before I took GW off ignore and replaced him with Dotty.

Just to put GW's comments "into perspective";

* Málaga airport has welcomed an average of 203.424 passengers per week this year.

* the whole of North East Brazil welcomed 5.173.555 passengers in the first three months of this year.

According to Mr Einstein, 203 thousand > 5.2 million - I guess I missed that day in maths class.

Or perhaps the end message "it's a joke, the numbers are insignificant" should be interpreted as "I'm only kidding, please don't examine my maths".

To look at it the other way, for an airport to be able to welcome over 5 million passengers a week, we could assume that they have the capacity of welcoming 5 million * 52 weeks per year = 260 million passengers a year. The worlds busiest airport in 2007 was estimated to be Atlanta, with just under 90 million a year. aka not even the busiest airport in the world could do what GW is proposing little old Malaga airport did "just to put it in perspective". One can easily see why Raimundo calls him one of the "most honest and prolific contributors to the forums". Glad you didn't say "accurate" that would be embarassing.

Anyway, if we can be allowed to move on from the "dehype", here are the official statistics for June Year to date results, published in todays Tribuna do Norte newspaper in Natal:

"Fernando Fernandes admits that many people in the state of Rio Grande do Norte failed with regards to what could have been achieved with tourism in Natal and are looking at what they can do to turn it around."

However:

Domestic arrivals increased by 13% while international has decreased by almost 20%

Natal is second in the number of sales by CVC, one of the largest Brazilian tour operators, with the first being Porto Seguro in Bahia.

For Rio Grande do Norte (Natal)
Hotel occupancy in 2005 and 2006 for January to April was 64%
Hotel occupancy in 2007 for January to April was 58%
Hotel occupancy in 2008 for January to April was 61%

J

JMBroad

Figures for June are now updated.

Considering the TOP4 airports only;

Variation number of Intl passengers compared to last year

Recife +35%
Salvador -5%
Fortaleza -8%
Natal -22%

Variation number of Domestic passengers compared to last year

Recife +17%
Natal +13%
Salvador +3%
Fortaleza -2%

With regards to market share, Recife has made a startling recovery and is now taking share from the other three top destinations, to a total of almost 7% of all international arrivals. (aprox 30.000 passengers chose Recife - last year those 30.000 would have gone to the other three destinations - most to Natal)

Obviously the other states might want to look at Pernambuco and see what they are doing, because they are doing something right.

Natal and Recife together are taking market share from Fortaleza and Salvador - combined total of 3%, (214.000 passengers who last year would have chosen Fortaleza or Salvador this year chose Recife and Natal instead)

Total Intl arrivals Jan-June 2008: 546.144
Total Intl arrivals Jan-June 2007: 560.318
(-14.174 Intl passengers in 2008)

G

Golfingworld

How many were international arrivals and what percentage of the total was it Mr Broad? You are not comparing like with like....NE Brazil encompasses Salvador to Manaus.....say 6 airports..........3000km....and a distance the equivalent of Malaga to London, if not more....so take the 5 major airports between these points and compare the figures! Say Malaga, Gerona, Nice, Paris Orly and Gatwick..then make your comparison! So looking at your figures there were half a million arrivals in Natal/Recife and maybe others in SIX months, and Malaga did 200,000 in a week. These are the dimensions you are talking about...miniscule.

Last edited:
J

JMBroad

How many were international arrivals and what percentage of the total was it Mr Broad? You are not comparing like with like....NE Brazil encompasses Salvador to Manaus.....say 6 airports..........3000km....and a distance the equivalent of Malaga to London, if not more....so take the 5 major airports between these points and compare the figures! Say Malaga, Gerona, Nice, Paris Orly and Gatwick..then make your comparison! So looking at your figures there were half a million arrivals in Natal/Recife and maybe others in SIX months, and Malaga did 200,000 in a week. These are the dimensions you are talking about...miniscule.
You are not comparing like with like....
How many were international arrivals and what percentage of the total was it?
Come on GW, you should know by now that if you continue to claim to be the defender against "the hype" of agents then you best make sure that your own "hype" is minimally believable.

However you do come close to another interesting point - but I'll give you the chance to do some research of your own to find out what that is before I mention it.

Oh and there are 14 airports in the NE of Brazil, only 4 actually worth mentioning though.

D

Dotty

Banned
As I was recently passing through the airport in the passport control area,a young lady with her passenger count list brasilian nationals /internationals asked me how many passangers
were travelling I responded and she put 1 extra,maybe she didn't hear very well.So I wouldn't necessarily go by MB figures or Brasilian figures at that.

D

davehoskings

As I was recently passing through the airport in the passport control area,a young lady with her passenger count list brasilian nationals /internationals asked me how many passangers
were travelling I responded and she put 1 extra,maybe she didn't hear very well.So I wouldn't necessarily go by MB figures or Brasilian figures at that.

Since I have never seen her any time that I have been through all the numbers must be too low as they didn't count me or anyone on the plane with me :p

No need for a list and a pen pusher, have you never heard of computers, those niosy boxes attached to small tv's that everyone uses in airports (especially in passport control).

G

Golfingworld

Airports generally charge handling by passenger counts, so someone somewhere has to submit loadins to the airport authorities..it is from here passenger figures will be calculated. Nothing to do with Immigration...you are right Dave.

D

Dotty

Banned
Exactly-it was a first ,but she was alone and did not have the full capacity to ask all the passangers how many were travelling and what would be her objective unless she was a student doing some research of some kind.
Since I have never seen her any time that I have been through all the numbers must be too low as they didn't count me or anyone on the plane with me :p

No need for a list and a pen pusher, have you never heard of computers, those niosy boxes attached to small tv's that everyone uses in airports (especially in passport control).

Status
Not open for further replies.