Buffalo/Rochester/Sycruse New York

J

jrgoodwin

Hi,

I am Australian living in Rochester and have just purchased one property and am closing on another next month. It has taken me a year to figure it out and choose.

I am starting a business for overseas (Australian and UK) investors to connect with me and buy good quality safe investments.

If I can be of help please let me know.

J

J

jrgoodwin

Hi,

I am Australian living in Rochester and have just purchased one property and am closing on another next month. It has taken me a year to figure it out and choose.

I am starting a business for overseas (Australian and UK) investors to connect with me and buy good quality safe investments.

If I can be of help please let me know.

Hi,

I am going over to Rochester NY in a few weeks time to have a look at buying property.

Can anyone suggest a good realtor/agent, management company, good quality builder for works needed and the areas I don't want to buy in?

I have been in touch with a few estate agents and found they don't answer questions fully i.e best areas, worst areas, demand for rentals ......etc

Any info greatly appreciated.sdgd

E

evey7

hi J, Hows Rochester for you?
I am close to closing on a property in weyl street, do you know the area?

thanks
E

J

jrgoodwin

Hi E,

I know Weyl, it is near Weaver, off Hudson and Joseph.

I looked at a good house in Weaver (#253 I think for ~40K, it sold for $38900.)

The area is hispanic and polish (weird combination) and african american.

Myself and 2 other project leaders and 10 kids from our church are rehabbing a house near there in two weeks.

The properties I own are in the 19th ward near University of Rochester, it is up and coming. My wife works for the university and studies there. It took me a year to buy something as I looked at 5-10 a week. Now I know what I am doing, the process should go alot quicker.

If you need any advice and/or looking for excellent properties please do not hesitate to email me.

Regards

J

E

evey7

hi matt

Hi could you give me some advice on geting a us tax numer as i hear i need one in order to receive rent from the property I am buying? many thanks,Eve:)
Hi,

I went over to Buffalo around May this year having heard of the yields on offer. I have since bought 4 places there.

I've got mixed thoughts so far. Buying them took around 6 months. That was partly coz of the sub-prime crisis which meant that the lender pulled out just before completion.

The whole process of getting finance and purchasing was painful tbh. The US and, in particular NY state, seems obsessed with paperwork. I guess it's coz it's a litigous society over there.

Buffalo itself has its nice areas (very nice, in fact),some not so nice ones (very not nice, in fact) and some inbetween. It's the inbetween ones that have investment potential. Having a good set of contacts out there is essential to finding them.

The yields you see advertised of 20% or 30% are realistic. Mine all yield between 25-35%. But this is the gross yield and expenses are higher there than investing in the UK. There are higher finance charges and lots of taxes. I personally wouldn't buy anywhere there with less than a 25% yield.

I've held the places for a couple of months now and, income wise, I'm down because I've had to pay out for repairs. I'm hoping that these are just the initial teething problems rather than what I can expect going forward. It's too early to tell whether Bufflao will be a good investment for me. I have mixed feelings so far, but haven't ruled out further investment.

I'm thinking of setting up a site about my experience of property investment in Buffalo. If you're interested in joining it, send me a message.

HTH,
Matt

Z

Zela

Germany

Could you sugest the best way to find out about these properties in Germany?

Thanks

Why do people get burned?
Because they are lazy, they fall for glossy brochures and salespeoples slick patter.

If you want cheap safe high yield property I know of some in Germany, but Im not a saleman and I have no brochures, so you wont buy any. Ah well, such is life

R

RebelYell

US Update ?

Hi could you give me some advice on geting a us tax numer as i hear i need one in order to receive rent from the property I am buying? many thanks,Eve:)
Hi all,
any updates on how folks have gone with their US purchases ?

Evey7, did you get a tenant and how has everything worked out ??

RebelYell

S

Sunnyshores

Hi All,

In the last 3 months we have brought 2 properties in NYS - one in Syracuse and 1 in Buffalo. We brought through Brenans (BPI) and although their fee isnt cheap, especially when you consider it as a % of purchase price, I do think they give better servcie than alot of agents I've used before (non NYS). I also consider it a payment for their local contacts, all of which have been fine. Actually the rental agents are very slow to reply to questions, but they are doing their job and so far no problems.

I have been in contact with other Buffalo investors, through companies such as Ajay Ajhua and they invested pretty much the same money and got bad houses, non rent paying tenants (if any) and rental agents who disappeared - so there are horror stories out there.

Completion/closing
- went really smoothly, minimum of paperwork and from reserving the Brenan proeprty took 4 weeks. Cash purchase.

Repairs One house needed $5k of work, we will get this done over the next 12 months. The rental agents will handle this (no fee). The other one only needs a few $00. We were going to buy a vacant one, but it fell through - just as well because I now think that if it was vacant although the repairs on the home inspection report may be minimal, it would need money spent to attract a tenant.

Cashflow - some agents collect rent monthly, but only pay you quaterly in arrears. Some bills such as taxes and water need to be paid upfront on ownership.

'Hidden' costs
- if the property is vacant the agent charges approx $500 finders fee. Lawn maintenance is a usual landlords fee, $34 per month for 8 months.

So, 4 months in I am happy with what I've purchased, the purchase figures are pretty much as Brenan anticipated as are the yields of 30%ish. There's been little hassle and rent has been paid on time, repairs have been quoted for (as BPI said).

Concerns for the future

mortgage
. The plan was to hold for 12 months and then get a mortgage on the market valuation at purcahse (higher than the price paid). Although mortgage costs are high, this would have meant we got most of our cash back. I'm now having trouble finding a lender to lend under $70k. Anyone have any contacts?

Tax issues. I would like to do my US returns (state and federal) myself to save money (I am an accountant),but I'm finding it hard to get the right information and its taking alot of time. So an option is a local accountant for £500 will do mine and my partners returns. Then obviously I still have to do our UK returns and offset this US tax.

So, in conclusion, I think all's pretty much as I imagined. This probably isnt for the fainthearted or new investor, but with fairly small cash sums involved and as we are in need of rental income (several off-plan investments or cash drains!) I am quite happy to take a punt on these properties and the low dollar. That said, we'll not be buying anymore unless we can get finance.

Last edited:

10crew

Try Turbotax (turbotax.com) - it's always done the job for our rental property in NY. $1,000 to do a tax return from an upstate NY accountant is way too much.

S

Sunnyshores

Hi 10crew - I looked at turbo tax, but you cant do the state return on it, how do you do yours? Thanks

10crew

turbo tax has a state tax add on we always use - about $30 extra

S

Sunnyshores

10 crew - I've remembered what the problem with turbotax was now - you're american arent you (we've spoken about Zen),but as a non resident alien I cant file the Form 1040 NR on turbotax. Do you know any other tax packages I could check out?

Do you still think $1000 is too much for 2 Form 1040s and 2 state returns. Our only US income/expenditure is from 2 rentals ?

10crew

Check out tax topic 414 for Rental Income and topic 851 Resident and non-residents (there are links to the publications you need for reference like no. 519) Just from a quick look at irs.gov, it doesn't seem like 1040nr is all that difficult. check it against what a US citizen would have to file to see how it differs. I havn't looked into it, but I doubt the calculations for rental property income for federal and state would be different for resident as opposed to non-resident. Probably difference may lie in foreign tax credits or AMT issues.

10crew

$1000 does still seem like a lot but it is 4 returns as you say. If you're worried, you might want to just pay for the first year return when u have to account for the purchase and then just do it yourself and keep up on any changes via the irs website or via turbotax (which will automatically incorporate changes for federal/state tax for US residents and then you'd just have to look to see if there are any changes in treatment for non -residents - not sure there would be much change vis a vis rental income accting). Good luck, we still haven't found any package that will help us with property investments across countries.

S

Sunnyshores

Thanks for the IRS info. I dont mind doing the US ones too much, at least its (almost) in English - not happy to do Moroccos, Brazils or Turkey's though! Perhaps we should start an accounting/tax business for overseas property owners.

B

bhc

lower crime rate in Anderson Indiana

If you look at the crime stats for Buffalo its very high. In Anderson Indiana its got a lower crime rate and some very good property prices.
I got two houses for £10.000 at auction. they were both repos.

Brian

R

RebelYell

Hi Brian,
two houses for 10K ? Wow !!

How will they work ? Do they need rehab work and what is the rental market in Indiana like ?

RebelYell

B

bhc

Cheap properties

Hi, I bought one of the houses in Anderson and a second one in Bicknell. They are both in Indiana. It has one of the lowest crime rates in the US.
They were both repossessions and very cheap. If you send through an email address I will send you on the details and pictures.
They both need new kitchens bathrooms and decorated.
There is a good demand for rental property. Its the old story if you make the house a little bit nicer than the others available, you can always find someone to rent.
Brian

R

RebelYell

Hi, I bought one of the houses in Anderson and a second one in Bicknell. They are both in Indiana. It has one of the lowest crime rates in the US.
They were both repossessions and very cheap. If you send through an email address I will send you on the details and pictures.
They both need new kitchens bathrooms and decorated.
There is a good demand for rental property. Its the old story if you make the house a little bit nicer than the others available, you can always find someone to rent.
Brian
thx ! It's

[email protected]

B

bhc

cheap property

Hi, I tried to send you an email but it bounced back. My email address is [email protected] if you send through an email I will send the details and pictures.

Brian