Stamp Duty ?

P

Pontgeorge

Hope someone can help with this stamp duty question as me and wife are beat.

Bought a new build in August 2018 at £315k in my wife's name ( as first time buyer ).

The stamp duty at the time was 300k hence she paid £750 duty...
(5% on £15k).

On now to the Oct p2018 budget in which the chancellor increased the stamp duty threshold from £300k to £500k and said this... I quote

"Today I am extending this relief to all first time buyers of shared ownership properties valued up to £500k…

…and we will make this relief retrospective so any first time buyer who has made such a purchase since the last Budget will benefit".

My question is can my wife claim her stamp duty back ?

Thank You.

D

diyhelp

Hi @Pontgeorge

I would be interested to hear how you get on as I guess many others will be in the same position as you.

P

Pontgeorge

Yes exactly, but no-one seems to realise that you can ( if it works ).
To my mind the government should issue a auto refund without doing anything.

I certainly will pass on all the correspondence I receive.

Very helpful forum.

S

Simon_Misiewicz

This scheme is for non-homeowners (meaning you could be a first-time buyer, have owned a property in the past but don't currently own one or be an existing shared owner – though in this instance, the stamp duty relief only applies to first-time buyers) who earn £80,000 a year or less (£90,000 or less in London).

You should try and claim a stamp duty refund within four years of buying your property. You'll need to write to the SDLT office. For full information, visit the HMRC website.