ad

Buying a property with extensions

G

geek84

Hi Folks

We are thinking of buying a property and a few of my friends have advised that we shouldn't buy a property which has been extended - i.e. extended kitchen, bathroom, living room etc. The main reason they give is that the standard of the extension would not be of the same high standard as of the other rooms which were constructed when the property was first built.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

L

lookinginvest

I think that is a bit of a generalisation. Who is to say the quality of the extension is not better than the building standard of the house? I dont buy that generalisation, sorry.

R

realdeals

On that basis nobody would extend their properties because this would put off prospective buyers - I dont agree with the advice you were given. Consider each potential investment on an individual basis as it is dangerous to generalise.

R

realdeals

I would be interested to hear how you get on. Could you update the post as and when there are any developments?

G

geek84

realdeals - We are still looking around for a suitable property, so I'm afraid there are no updates.

L

lookinginvest

As long as your survey came back ok for the property with the extension, I dont really see a problem?

D

diyhelp

I would guess a lot of older houses have extensions as many would have had biggish gardens which are now worth more if used for extensions?

J

Jason D.

The good news is that the council can issue an enforcement notice only within four years of the date unproved building work took place. Once four years have passed – which they clearly have in your case – there's no risk of enforcement action as far as planning permission goes.

A

Andrea Thomas-Jones

You should confirm that all work has been carried-out in-line with building regulations and planning permission. Also find out the percentage (if any) of the whole property that is flat-roofed. This can affect you being able to obtain a mortgage.

F

FWL

Interesting to hear the time limit for the council to take action :)

I am a little surprised that you are being advised to avoid a property where there is an extension because "it may not be of the same high standard" as the house. On that basis nobody would touch a property with an extension. Not sure I agree with that :)