ad

Illegal wall

P

Phillipa Sillitoe

Hello I am interested in a property but it appears that at some point in its life a boundary wall has been moved by the neighbour so they have taken part of the rear garden...I am sure it is wrong because the wall starts at the house with 3 ft of house wall.actually now in neighbours garden...imagine the mid line oh a pair of semis and the front dividing hedhe is right next to one bay winDow whilst the other neighbour has 6 ft between hedge and bay window. It is obvious to me but if it has been that way for a long time would I have a legal.case for the neighbours to move the wall back to the original line? I hope you understand and somebody knows how to view this..

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I would certainly take legal advice on this as it can very quickly escalate and cause all kinds of problems. Especially look into adverse possession which might be a bit problem depending upon the timescales involved.

N

nmb

I can never quite understand how these situation emerge - if I owned a property from day one I cant see a situation where I would ever "giveaway" part of my land to a neighbour. Why would you? How does this happen in reality?

J

James Wren

I worked for a building company managing extensions and this sort of thing is quite common.

Party Wall Surveyors would say if its not the “typical” line but fence / wall has been there a significant period of time, its an assumed boundary now and you’d struggle trying to get the land back.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Hi @James Wren

That is my understanding from what I have read. If the new boundary has in effect been in place for some time (even though it is technically wrong) it might now stand as a redefined boundary. Is it still worth taking advice?