ad

Do use expect any more tax rises for buy to let investors?

R

realdeals

At this moment in time it is difficult to see how the UK government could bring in any additional tax rises for buy to let investors. However, do you expect any more tax rises for buy to let investors in the short to medium term?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I think we may see more tweaking of capital gains taxes in relation to buy to let - that is probably the only option left for the government. There will come a point - maybe we are there now - when it is counter-productive to penalise buy to let investors as the population grows, demand for private rental property increases and the lack of funding for social housing is laid bare.

F

FWL

There are a whole range of reports out there which show that the UK property market is among the most heavily taxed in the world. At some point politicians will need to stand on their own 2 feet and stop milking property investors because eventually they will run dry and switch their funds elsewhere. I think politicians are at the stage now where any tax increase for property investors will see a reduction in other property related taxes. There is just no way they can continue to milk the golden cow!

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I have never quite understood why the property market seems to be the golden cow which keeps on giving. There is a massive shortfall in social housing so to ignore the long-term problem and milk the market for as much tax income as possible in the short term just does not make sense.