What are the prospects for the French real estate market?

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
The French real estate market struggled during the height of the Euro crisis and while the economy still has some way to go, some investors believe there is good long-term value. What do you think about the prospects for the French real estate market?

M

Michelle Barringer

Forum Partner
It depends what you invest in - France is the world leading Tourist destination - with 83million visitors a year - so investing in real estate to provide accommodation for tourism should perform well.

C

Ctalbot

I have a family friend who bought an apartment 'en viager' in Paris. The apartment was owned by an elderly woman and once she passed my friend became sole owner of the apartment.. and for half the apartments value! The viager has become a popular solution to investing in property in France.

My friend went through an agency called BM-finance, a local Paris agency.

J

James White

It is good to invert in the French real estate. I am also seeing that the UK people also have interest in the French property. That is why, there are several platforms available online through which you can sell or buy the French property easily without any hassle.

J

James White

It is good to invert in the French real estate. I am also seeing that the UK people also have interest in the French property. That is why, there are several platforms available online through which you can sell or buy the French property easily without any hassle.

N

nmb

I often read that red tape in the French property market is far greater than that in the UK. Do the French authorities really welcome overseas property investors?

L

lookinginvest

What kind of rental yield would tempt you to buy French property? Would you be looking to crystallise a profit fairly quickly or would you be in for the long-term?

T

thuyhoa37

Actually, if you buy a property in Paris it is much more expensive than another suburb of Paris. My recommendation for you is that be patient in your search for the perfect home. Best wishes for you!

P

PostBrexitInvestor

Lets put economic and property markets aside, I think France is starting to become a real voice in the EU. The recent argument with Germany saw France come out on top in my view - maybe France is going to fill the void left by the UK? But will they contribute as much to the EU budget as the UK? Simple answer, no.....

T

thuyhoa37

Lets put economic and property markets aside, I think France is starting to become a real voice in the EU. The recent argument with Germany saw France come out on top in my view - maybe France is going to fill the void left by the UK? But will they contribute as much to the EU budget as the UK? Simple answer, no.....
Totally Agree with you! But right now, France is changing a lot. And I think they will contribute to the EU budget more than before!

L

lookinginvest

Hi @thuyhoa37

How do you see the French property market panning out in the short to medium term?

Personally I think the EU economy is on the same rocky road as the UK, it will not be a bed of roses after Brexit for anyone.

T

thuyhoa37

Hi @lookinginvest,
I heard some news from my friends and family. I want to first apologize for any inconveniences or problems I may have caused you. As you know we have affected by Brexit and Trump. Trump and Brexit put global economic growth at risk :(

D

diyhelp

France seems to be emerging as the second power in the EU as Spain, Italy and Portugal fall by the wayside. Is France a net contributor to the EU budget? If my memory serves me right I think France take a lot out of the pot for their farming industry?

T

thuyhoa37

France seems to be emerging as the second power in the EU as Spain, Italy, and Portugal fall by the wayside. Is France a net contributor to the EU budget? If my memory serves me right, I think France take a lot out of the pot for their farming industry?
We can not expect that France is the best country to live but what we have done and what we will do for France's economy may help it becomes better in the future.

F

FWL

How do you see the French economy developing after Brexit - surely with France the nearest EU country to the UK it must stand to gain a lot of historic UK(EU) business?

R

realdeals

While France is probably in it's best position ever within the European Union it is worth noting the recent major political upheaval in the country. There are many French people at odds with the official government immigration policy with numbers likely to grow unless major changes are made by the European Union.

P

Paolo Agostinelli

I'm very surprised that no one has commented on the looming debt crisis in Italy and Spain as major contributors. If those two situations continue to spiral out of control (and let's face it, no one knows what to do about it),the Euro will be crushed and will take years to recover.

P

Paolo Agostinelli

Hi @lookinginvest,
I heard some news from my friends and family. I want to first apologize for any inconveniences or problems I may have caused you. As you know we have affected by Brexit and Trump. Trump and Brexit put global economic growth at risk :(
I respectfully disagree. More accurately, global GDP growth should continue to expand through 2020, even as the UK remains one of the worse performing advanced economies in the world and the slowest growing economy in Europe (sans Italy),and with the Eurozone and Japan as the only to regions to show slowing GDP growth until then. The IMF associates an aging population (decreasing productivity) and increasing inflation to slowing global GDP growth 2020+. Just as importantly, the ending of loose monetary policy is coming to an end and tighter financial conditions will expose consumers, corporations, and countries to the full cost of the debt they had built up over the past decade of historically low interest rates.

F

FWL

The looming debt crisis in the European Union has been brushed under the carpet as they “gang together” to make life as difficult as possible for the UK in Brexit negotiations. As I just mentioned in one of the other post, it is a little ironic that only a couple of years ago many people were forecasting the fall of the euro but now apparently the European Union is “strong” and the UK is leaving a prosperous union. Do not kid yourself, there are still major problems within the European Union and the withdrawal of UK contributions will put the squeeze on many members at a time when they can least afford it.

S

SebastienElbied

The French property market is just like the others in Europe, it is mainly driven by the interest rates and the different neighbouring countries such as the UK, i.e. Brexit will influence the prices in France but not only.
Interest rates increase will definitely and directly influence prices, this is the first trigger to look at.
Sebastien Elbied