ad

Has Brexit got off on the wrong foot?

N

nmb

While it is very early days for Brexit, after the UK triggered Article 50, initial feedback from Europe is not exactly encouraging. No trade deal until the exit deal has been agreed and a suggestion that Theresa May is “blackmailing” Europe on the subject of counter terrorist intelligence and security. Any views?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
This will be a rocky process and we can expect some fireworks along the way! The UK government is simply fighting back against European rumours and counter rumours when in reality perhaps Europe needs the UK more than the UK needs Europe?

D

diyhelp

Speculation this week that Spain will have a veto on any deal involving Gibraltar because of the sovereignty issue with the UK government. Expect more of these curved balls!

K

kchiggs

Wrong foot or not depends on what you want. If you want to offer an impossible deal Europe will never accept, so you can go to WTO rules, and blame Europe(saying you tried) Then blame tariffs when you don't have the 350m a week for the NHS, so use as an excuse to privatise. Are on absolutely the right track.

N

nmb

I disagree to a certain extent - the UK cannot be seen to be soft and give in to all EU demands. Surely there is a benefit for EU members to do a decent deal with the UK? Just ask the German car manufacturers or the French farmers?

K

kchiggs

I agree there is a room for a deal, I doubt we are on the right track for a deal. I leave the decision as to if going to a full 'no deal' exit
Remember the German manufactures are preparing for a 'no deal situation" I've yet to see any press about the preparation of the UK companies(other than leaving) Don't forget the EU needs the deal to be bad enough to prevent other exits. This doesn't have to be bad neccaisilry for the UK (A cut-off from Euro-clearing would not rock the UK the way it would other EU countries, as the fallout would be confined to London) Personally a tariff for immigration control deal makes a lot of sense to me.

L

lookinginvest

The main problem here is free movement within Europe which the EU are not prepared to budge on. Personally I do not see a problem with controlled immigration where all parties benefit - if this was offered I do not think the Brexit vote would have went through.

K

kchiggs

The EU are completely prepared to budge on free movement(other member states already control their immigration more) UK chose not to use Emergency brakes, not to require residence permits, not to send back unemployed/claimants after the 90-day window) as long as UK gives up tariff-free market access. Maintaining market access and controlling immigration in exchange for tariffs could work for UK and EU(with the exception perhaps of some London banks) who will have to relocate euro-clearing ops to Frankfurt or somewhere

S

SimonM

Has Brexit got off on the wrong foot? - 2018 UPDATED

The root of the brexit frustration for the property industry is mainly due to the uncertainty of what will happen once Brexit has fully came into force by March 2019. Many predictions of what would happen in the property market once Brexit was announced has not came true, such as mortgage rates were predicted to rise after Brexit was announced but they initially fell.

With the Brexit deadline getting closer and closer, there is still a lot of uncertainty about what will happen until negotiations have come to an end. All experts can do is predict what will happen, and as we have previously seen, predictions can be wrong. So until Brexit actually happens we will most likely see continuous fluctuation on interest rates, property prices and the economy.

D

diyhelp

Many people are suggesting the EU will not do a deal with the UK because it could encourage others to leave in the future. I think it is a little off the mark to compare the impact of the UK leaving the EU to that of one of the smaller nations.

Now, if the likes of France or Germany decided enough was enough then that would be the end of the EU as we know it and the target of a federal Europe would be dead and buried. People forget that the UK is one of the largest economies in the world not a country which joined to benefit from the massive handouts (bribes by any other name?).

R

realdeals

There is more and more speculation that the politicians are determined to reverse Brexit - will the UK be offered a soft deal back into the fold? Perhaps more control over immigration?