ad

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, which offers best value for property investors?

• Thread starter Longterminvestor
  • Start date
L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
While the UK is together at the moment the cries for independence grow stronger especially in Scotland. Which part of the UK do you believe offers the best value for money, England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland?

N

nmb

At this moment in time I would suggest that Scotland offers the best value for money when it comes to house prices. However, while there may be exceptional value in some of the less sought after areas of Scotland, I would stick to the likes of Glasgow and Edinburgh and other prominent cities.

D

diyhelp

Scotland is a strange market in the short to medium term because the SNP government is very pro-Europe and anti-UK and will continue to push and push for independence. We have also seen an increase in Scottish tax rates making it the most expensive part of the UK to work in. All very bizarre - not sure its all good for the housing market?

N

nmb

I think the confusion that independence and the SNP are causing in Scotland will create some interesting buying opportunities. One for the brave :)

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
The environment for Northern Ireland property investment is difficult to say the least, England will always be the leader of the UK and while Scotland has some interesting opportunities, is there an argument that it may be time to look at Wales?

D

Dave Baker

I would try to aim at the outskirts of London with green space. I heard that Colne Valley is quite a nice spot. I saw this online but it's out of my budget: (moderated)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nmb

Do you think that the government will change policy on green space in the future? Perhaps this could be an area to look at in the longer term?

K

kchiggs

I would try to aim at the outskirts of London with green space. I heard that Colne Valley is quite a nice spot. I saw this online but it's out of my budget: (moderated)
I can't see this so I can't comment on that specific.

Do you think that the government will change policy on green space in the future? Perhaps this could be an area to look at in the longer term?
I wouldn't be surprised. They already have in Luton. Also in some cases it can The trick is to go for these passive-low impact-sites with SUDS and other usages.

There is alos work on converting brownfield to greenfield, this is what happened in Germany prior to trading initiatives. Essentially you create better housing on greenfield land in exchange for making brownfield land that isn't viable as housing sites into greenfield land. Parkland,Woodland etc. Off-site CLI in-kind to put it in UK-terms
https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcin091.pdf/$file/fcin091.pdf

You could do this but you'd probably want to start by working with existing brownfield or refused permission sites medium term then go to greenfield land longer term.

As I commented in another thread already in full swing in Wales, so if it gains sufficient results there it could be brought over to London/England.

K

kchiggs

HIllingdon borough right?
I'd say it is unlikely as they have enough brownfield land to meet demand. Compare to the new towns (Like MK, Luton) who don't have any in-fill or brownfield since they were all built on greenfield in the first place. Of course you could always buy brownfield as a longer term investment instead of/as well as greenfield.

Last edited: