ad

47 Expert tips from Forbes.com - interesting

D

diyhelp

I found number 2 particular interesting:-

2. Spend time at a property before you buy.

“Sit in your car outside of the property from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 9 p.m. to midnight before you commit to buying it. You will see what is really happening at the building and in the neighborhood during those times.”

R

realdeals

Interesting idea - this would alert you to any anti-social behaviour or potential problems. Its the simple ideas that are often most helpful :)

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Any other practical tips you can offer John?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I am looking to build a buy to let portfolio and I appreciate this will take time. Any tips?

D

diyhelp

So consider every deal individually and your portfolio will emerge naturally. I suppose if you get the numbers right then everything else will fall into place.

N

nmb

As with anyone looking to increase the value of their investments, the hardest stage is getting started. Once you have assets and cash flow this creates "headroom" in the event of unforeseen expenses.

R

realdeals

Also, if you are going to make mistakes (as we all do) it would be useful to make them early and where relatively small amounts of money are involved!

A mistake is not always a bad thing as long as we learn from them :)

D

diyhelp

I see some people pretending to buy and sell properties "on paper" to see how they pan out further down the line. All good in principle but nothing quite beats having your own hard earned cash invested to feel the joy and pain!